Anyone ever been falsely accused of sneaking alcohol aboard?

H&J

Someone in my group once had their luggage falsely flagged. The suitcase contained only shoes, so they probably meant to flag another suitcase and grabbed theirs by mistake. But NCL didn't offer any kind of compensation for the mix-up, nor should they have in my opinion. The workers were only doing their job.

I had a clothing steamer and they pulled me down to the 'naughty room' (actually a hallway/lobby area near the elevators on a lower deck). They thought it was an iron. If you've seen a clothing steamer, it's not shaped anything at all like an iron. :confused:

I don't think they pulled anything out of anyones bag when I was down there. All were time wasters - both for us and for the cruise line employees. (This was on RCCL Allure) I hauled my suitcase back up myself (it's on wheels) because I didn't want to wait for it to be brought up hours later.

Took the same steamer on Pride of America the year before and did not have any problems.

I had a clothing steamer and they pulled me down to the 'naughty room' (actually a hallway/lobby area near the elevators on a lower deck). They thought it was an iron. If you've seen a clothing steamer, it's not shaped anything at all like an iron. :confused:

I don't think they pulled anything out of anyones bag when I was down there. All were time wasters - both for us and for the cruise line employees. (This was on RCCL Allure) I hauled my suitcase back up myself (it's on wheels) because I didn't want to wait for it to be brought up hours later.

Took the same steamer on Pride of America the year before and did not have any problems.

Maybe whoever xrayed it on the Pride knew exactly what it was by it's shape.

I'd personally hate that job of xraying everyone's bags and trying to figure out what's what. I've seen some of the packing lists on here and the extra stuff that people bring. These bags from an xray point of view must look awfully funny.

Because I place a high value on my time, particularly when on vacation, I would expect and demand at minimum, an apology if falsely accused. I realize that some might not place any value on their time and thus expect nothing when their time is wasted by ill trained, incompetent or bored security personnel. I would never try to smuggle contraband of any kind aboard and I would expect my contract with the cruise line would be honored by not wasting my time. I value my time as much as they value their profit line regarding alcoholic beverages.

Because I place a high value on my time, particularly when on vacation, I would expect and demand at minimum, an apology if falsely accused. I realize that some might not place any value on their time and thus expect nothing when their time is wasted by ill trained, incompetent or bored security personnel. I would never try to smuggle contraband of any kind aboard and I would expect my contract with the cruise line would be honored by not wasting my time. I value my time as much as they value their profit line regarding alcoholic beverages.

I could see your point, depending on how this was done. As the poster points out in post #11 "I think the letter they sent was extremely well written. The text and tone of the letter made no assumption about liquor...only that items were not identifiable and I needed to show them what it was." Meaning the poster was not "accused" of anything, just requested to show what was unidentified in their luggage.

I guess if you put nothing but clothing and shoes only in your luggage you would be in your right to be upset if someone couldn't identify those items.

So, because you won't smuggle alcohol on board, that means no one else will? The one and only time I was called to the Naughty Room, there was bottle upon bottle of alcohol on the table that was confiscated. In the group I was taken back with, I was the only one who DIDN'T have alcohol.

I don't know why you continue to say that NCL owes anyone an apology....demand it from the passengers who do smuggle because if it weren't for them, this would be a non-issue!

Naww. Life's too short to worry about such nonsense.

NayRn, If a cruise line screws up and wastes MY time for whatever reason beyond their control (weather, act of God, etc.), I am entitled to an apology.

My time is valuable and the last thing I want on my vacation is to have time lost because of others. Truly avoidable problems caused by rude, thoughtless and crass passengers or incompetent crew rob me of what I paid, a vacation in the truest sense of the word. If I wanted a "Jersey Shore" type of experience, I would have gone there.

I would suggest that if a passenger is caught with contraband alcohol, they pay the what the line charges, minus the initial purchase price, much like an expanded "corkage fee" or offer to pour it down the drain as the passenger watches.

I understand why NCL wants to control what comes aboard; profit and some control over reasonable consumption. Less than responsible surreptitious consumption is a liability problem which can turn into a profit problem.

And, if the line makes a mistake and wastes a passenger's time then that passenger is entitled to an apology, at minimum, because that passenger has then gotten less than what they paid for, assuming that the passenger considers their time of any value. Further, if the passenger places no value on their time or life, then they are due no apology.

I noticed from your profile, you are from the S.E. MI burbs; ever fly out of Flint Bishop? Because I value my time, I try to book flights out of Bishop whenever possible. It's less expensive, less traffic and easier to traverse. The TSA at Flint, in my experience are cordial as compared to Detroit Metro.

One time I was asked to take a chemical hand swap for explosives. The TSA agent was actually apologetic and explained he had to randomly perform the task as part of his job. I took no offense as I was curious and he explained the nature of the test. He asked how I liked flying out of Flint and where I was from and not in a form the least bit interrogatory. I learned something that day about explosives testing and that not all TSA agents are ogres.

Cruise lines have the right to inspect what comes aboard but don't have the right to rob a passenger of their time because of an avoidable mistake by the cruise line, sans apology. Being called down to the bowels of the ship without just cause is no way to start a vacation.

Luddite, me worry? What about you and white wine? Think of my desire to not be bothered by incompetent crew, sticky fingered children running down the halls in the middle of the night banging on doors or inebriated "Jersey shore" types (as per my carnival cruise) as akin to your wife asking to to drink white wine. Think of them as things we'd prefer to avoid. That was YOU, in a food thread making the negative comment about the white wine wasn't it?

Face it; NCL is looking for alcohol. If they had a sane policy like Princess and HAL, we wouldn't have this problem with the "naughty room". NCL is just hungry for the drinker's bucks. Why should you have to pay an arm and a leg to have a drink in your room? NCL's policy and prices are why people smuggle. If NCL charged prices for bottles like Princess and HAL, the problem would go away. However, NCL is out after every dollar they can get.

NayRn, If a cruise line screws up and wastes MY time for whatever reason beyond their control (weather, act of God, etc.), I am entitled to an apology.

My time is valuable and the last thing I want on my vacation is to have time lost because of others. Truly avoidable problems caused by rude, thoughtless and crass passengers or incompetent crew rob me of what I paid, a vacation in the truest sense of the word. If I wanted a "Jersey Shore" type of experience, I would have gone there.

I would suggest that if a passenger is caught with contraband alcohol, they pay the what the line charges, minus the initial purchase price, much like an expanded "corkage fee" or offer to pour it down the drain as the passenger watches.

I understand why NCL wants to control what comes aboard; profit and some control over reasonable consumption. Less than responsible surreptitious consumption is a liability problem which can turn into a profit problem.

And, if the line makes a mistake and wastes a passenger's time then that passenger is entitled to an apology, at minimum, because that passenger has then gotten less than what they paid for, assuming that the passenger considers their time of any value. Further, if the passenger places no value on their time or life, then they are due no apology.

I noticed from your profile, you are from the S.E. MI burbs; ever fly out of Flint Bishop? Because I value my time, I try to book flights out of Bishop whenever possible. It's less expensive, less traffic and easier to traverse. The TSA at Flint, in my experience are cordial as compared to Detroit Metro.

One time I was asked to take a chemical hand swap for explosives. The TSA agent was actually apologetic and explained he had to randomly perform the task as part of his job. I took no offense as I was curious and he explained the nature of the test. He asked how I liked flying out of Flint and where I was from and not in a form the least bit interrogatory. I learned something that day about explosives testing and that not all TSA agents are ogres.

Cruise lines have the right to inspect what comes aboard but don't have the right to rob a passenger of their time because of an avoidable mistake by the cruise line, sans apology. Being called down to the bowels of the ship without just cause is no way to start a vacation.

Luddite, me worry? What about you and white wine? Think of my desire to not be bothered by incompetent crew, sticky fingered children running down the halls in the middle of the night banging on doors or inebriated "Jersey shore" types (as per my carnival cruise) as akin to your wife asking to to drink white wine. Think of them as things we'd prefer to avoid. That was YOU, in a food thread making the negative comment about the white wine wasn't it?

Has this ever actually happened to you? Thousands of NCL cruisers are on here and yet one or two has said NCL saw something suspicious that they were called down to verify. It's not systemic, it's not a problem. The issue with your initial statements saying they should give you something for your time is setting people up to stack their luggage with something that LOOKS like its a problem but isn't so that they can get something from the cruise line. Yes, people thrive on taking companies for everything that they can.

The idea that your time is worth anymore than anyone else's while on board is ridiculous. If you get called to the naughty room for something, wait until the masses are gone and go down and get your bag. The time you spend doing that is far less than the time it's taken you to build this hypothetical thread in the first place.

I am not sure I understand ???? You cruise at about 25 miles per hour when you could fly at several hundred miles per hour. Does not compute !!!! What is so important about a few minutes ???

Maybe you should consider not packing things that can't be identified, or apologize to the cruise line when you do.....

Am I reading this thread correctly? People are now wanting apologies and discounts because they get called to the Naughty Room? Wow. Next will be onboard credit. And when they don't get it, we will see the threads titled: Worst cruise ever because of NCL and being called to the Naughty Room."

Am I reading this thread correctly? People are now wanting apologies and discounts because they get called to the Naughty Room? Wow. Next will be onboard credit. And when they don't get it, we will see the threads titled: Worst cruise ever because of NCL and being called to the Naughty Room."

Yup, welcome to the future. :p

Well, not a LOT of people.

Yup you are. Apparently NCL security should be able to identify absolutely everything in everyone's luggage regardless of shape and if liquids should know exactly what the liquids they are carrying without seeing them (except through xray). Because apparenly they should know these people would not break the rules.

Although I can't count the amount of times on this board I have seen the words "I'm normally not a rule breaker, but....." But of course their circumstances or views on how fair or logical the policy is will denote whether or not a particular rule should be followed.

Face it; NCL is looking for alcohol. If they had a sane policy like Princess and HAL, we wouldn't have this problem with the "naughty room". NCL is just hungry for the drinker's bucks. Why should you have to pay an arm and a leg to have a drink in your room? NCL's policy and prices are why people smuggle. If NCL charged prices for bottles like Princess and HAL, the problem would go away. However, NCL is out after every dollar they can get.

I haven't cruised on those two lines. However, I just did a quick price check, NCL vs Princess for a 7 day Carribean cruise. NCL out of Miami on Jan 19, Princess out of FLL on Jan. 20th. For a balcony, NCL is $2085 for two persons total. Princess is $2738 for the same thing. I didn't check HAL but can imagine their price will be even higher. So go cruise Princess or HAL and carry on some bottles, but I'll still be money ahead doing it the NCL way. Seems to me that those other two lines are out after all the money they can get also.....although that is how a business stays in business, balancing "how much they can get" vs how much a customer is willing to pay. I like NCLs business model.

Someone in my group once had their luggage falsely flagged. The suitcase contained only shoes, so they probably meant to flag another suitcase and grabbed theirs by mistake. But NCL didn't offer any kind of compensation for the mix-up, nor should they have in my opinion. The workers were only doing their job.

Yes, that was me!:rolleyes:

How did you pack it? I may end up bringing lots of shoes.

I laid the towels flat in the suitcase. One on the bottom, then the shoes, then the other towel on top. What I thought was a masterful packing job. Heh. Must've gotten their attention somehow. It was no big deal at all, I still find it funny.

Sorry...we are going to have to agree to disagree in this topic!

As for Flint...it's more than double the drive time there then it is to Metro...and all the flights that I have looked at out of Flint go to Metro anyway....which I don't understand! It does look like a really nice/convenient airport though!

No, not everyone demands compensation or apologies! I was OK with "wasting" 20 minutes of my vacation!:rolleyes:

Just got called to the naughty room for dive weights. I guess they looked like an Iron. Can't imagine why anyone would pack a half dozen very small irons. Non issue I opened the bag they saw the gear and said all was well. I then asked when would the bag be delivered, they blinked and said right away. It was there within the hour. Sometimes it is what you expect vs. ask.

To those demanding an apology. Consider one alternative. everyone standing in line while every bag is visually inspected.

Archived