Whales, Bears & Glaciers excursion

fireflymd

I have been on the bear portion, separate, with the contracted vendor, (if the same) which has very good sighting stats for brown bears. This is based in Hoonah. Your whale watch will be out of Auke Bay, which, no matter who you go with, has 100% sightings of humpbacks.

What are the "glacier" details? You could get accurate information about this, perhaps? Depends- is it a Mendenhall ground stop? plane fly over?, I'm assuming it doesn't involve a helicopter?

The "Glaciers" part is 30 minutes of flightseeing on the return.

It's a long day and I'm hoping there are people on this forum who have done this excursion and are willing to share their experience.

Your glacier flightseeing, certainly will be a scenic highlight. :) This tour has been running a few years. I was offered it at the last minute from a vendor, but I had other plans, in 2011. He reported it was operating well, with good reports from the cruiseline about the three vendors involved, I have used two. It may be these change depending on contracts, however.

Hi all

This is exactly what I've found in planning, but thanks to my research here on CC and reading through lots and lots of stuff - which is always down to me, the DH like lots of other's DHs just wants to know when and where to turn up! ;):)

I started with the cruiseline's tours - to get an idea, but then went for it on my own. Sometimes the cruiseline tours shown as "available" kick off at 0800 when the ship doesn't even get there till 1300! Dates too are another one - it certainly makes no sense whatsoever not to do serious homework on your Alaskan adventure.

What I must say is that the tour operators we have chosen for our trips all responded to our initial email enquiries within 24 hours and were more than happy to deal with any additional questions we had. So we were very happy with our choices. :)

Archived