Urgent ID question

lilypi314

I tried a forum search but didn't find anything related to my question. My friend and I booked a cruise that leaves Sunday at the last minute. Friend doesn't have a passport, but has the appropriate birth certificate. For some reason, she thought that she should go renew her drivers license so that her address would match what she gave the cruise line. Had she mentioned this to me beforehand, obviously I would have advised her against it. Anyway, what's done is done, and now she has the paper temporary driver's license. Is she going to be able to get on board with this? I told her that I'm concerned and she located her old state issued ID card from before she had a drivers license. It does not have an expiration date, but is about 10 years old. I'm thinking that she should use that old ID with her birth certificate and bring along the paper ID as backup. Thoughts?

WOW that is a interesting question. I assume she doesn't still have her old license to bring with her?

With the cruise leaving Sunday it doesn't look like you have any other options but show up with the temp license and birth cert. Try calling the cruise line in the morning and see what they say...Maybe anything else like electric bill, etc with address on it just in case...

Good luck and update us when you return.......

They confiscate the old license upon renewal and issuance of the paper ID. The wording states government issued photo ID, which this is. It has a raised seal. I told her to bring everything she has with her name and picture. She's got the old state ID, credit cards, and her old college ID. I'm trying not to panic, but I'm nervous.

I would be very nervous as she really has no PHOTO ID - I dont' think that any other items will help - ie credit cards, bills, etc. Perhaps they will accept the temp lic - too bad there is no pic on it as it is a combinaton of the birth cert and photo ID that prove identity and citizenship.

I would be very nervous as she really has no PHOTO ID - I dont' think that any other items will help - ie credit cards, bills, etc. Perhaps they will accept the temp lic - too bad there is no pic on it as it is a combinaton of the birth cert and photo ID that prove identity and citizenship.

To clarify, the RI temp licenses DO have pictures on them, but they are printed on regular printer paper and I've always thought they look pretty fake. I agree with the suggestion to take that in combination with the state issued ID card and BC.

I'm going to guess that the closer your departure port is to RI the better the chances of them accepting the temp license, becaue there's a better chance they've seen them before. I had to fly when I had my first temp license and a friend who works at airport security told me that it SHOULD be just fine -- it was technically acceptable ID -- but the amount of hassle I got would depend on the experience level of the agent and if they were familiar with them. I played it safe and used my passport to fly since I didn't want to test the system, but the same logic probably applies to cruise checkin.

Incidentally, RI is the first state I've lived in that gives temp licenses. When I lived in Kansas and Ohio you walked out of the DMV with real license in hand. I was asked for ID more times (airport, bank, walmart to buy sudafed, etc.) while I had that stupid temp license than I could remember using it in the previous year combined!

Ok if this helps....Last year when we sailed my son used his BC and his temp drivers license also from RI. It was fine. This was the only ID w/picture that he had but he was only 16 yrs old. In years past the kids didn't need photo ID but at @16 we brought it. Not sure if he would have gotten on without it.

We are leaving out of NYC, so close enough to drive but who knows how many have tried the paper ID's. the paper license DOES have a photo, and although the old state ID is old, she hasn't aged at all (jerk). It is a closed loop cruise, so no passport necessary. I'm feeling slightly less panicky after reading these responses, so thank you. For now it's just time to cross fingers!

We are leaving out of NYC, so close enough to drive but who knows how many have tried the paper ID's. the paper license DOES have a photo, and although the old state ID is old, she hasn't aged at all (jerk). It is a closed loop cruise, so no passport necessary. I'm feeling slightly less panicky after reading these responses, so thank you. For now it's just time to cross fingers!

Wouldn't the old state ID have her birthday listed? Seems to me this is going to beg the question as to why she doesn't have a driver's license?

As far as wondering why she doesn't have a drivers license...not everyone drives, which is why state ID cards exist. And she DOES have the temporary drivers license.

As for the question about boarding without her....you bet your a$$ that I'm going on this cruise!

Just take what she has and she will get on the ship, as long as you are not going international it will be a breeze.What I.D. did you use with your e-docs? NCL has been paid for the cruise, so why should they give you a hard time. Enjoy the cruise.

Firstly, the fact that you have paid for the cruise does not mean you cannot be denied boarding, i know, it happened to me because of a passport issue. Second, the Port Authority is the one that determines the regulations, not NCL. Thirdly, depending on your nationality, and where your cruise is departing from may also have an effect. The fact that it is a closed loop cruise may not be the only factor. We need to be careful when addressing these issues... Non US citizens and people leaving out of cruises other than US ports also read these posts and post on this board, as well as US citizens that are cruising out of ports from other countries. Ie a US citizen living in Rome with a US passport taking a closed loop close out of Rome needs a passport...

Firstly, the fact that you have paid for the cruise does not mean you cannot be denied boarding, i know, it happened to me because of a passport issue. Second, the Port Authority is the one that determines the regulations, not NCL. Thirdly, depending on your nationality, and where your cruise is departing from may also have an effect. The fact that it is a closed loop cruise may not be the only factor. We need to be careful when addressing these issues... Non US citizens and people leaving out of cruises other than US ports also read these posts and post on this board, as well as US citizens that are cruising out of ports from other countries. Ie a US citizen living in Rome with a US passport taking a closed loop close out of Rome needs a passport...

Very true - and yes it is not NCL who will deny you it is the port and customs people - they are the only ones who check that information. Yes NCL gives the information you provided on your registration forms to them - but they must still double check.

Last year my DD had her wallet stolen 2 days before the cruise...she got a paper temp with a pic and her birth cert for a closed loop out of NOL....she was panicking, so we called NCL and they told us this happens all the time and there is not a problem with it....she didnt have a bit of problem. :)

She should be fine with the old state ID, new temp license and birth certificate together.

I sent somebody on the Epic with the same issue in January, no issues.

Yes poster is 100% correct.

1. Not evryone carries a drivers license so Customs do and must as well as NCL accept the no expire ID. Dont even bother with paper temp but bring it as well, only present ID

2. I traveled 6 times in past 2 years with Birth C and State ID with no xpie date.

This is a non worry issue.:D

Archived