Patra to Pireaus and Volos

DonahCBrown

We are going to be staying in Italy pre-cruise, and taking the ferry from Bari to Patra, and need to get to Piraeus to join the Pacific Princess. First question - has anyone done this and if so what is the best way to get from Patra to Pireaus - I gather that the train is not a particularly good option, and/or may not even be operating in the current economy.

When we get to the cruise, we will be stopping in Volos. My DH is height aversive, so we won't be doing the monasteries. Any thoughts and/or recommendations on tours and/or guides that don't involve the monasteries?

Thanks for any help or advice!

We just returned 10 days ago from the Black Sea on the Pacific Princess, and we also stopped in Volos. Unless you drive to the monestaries, there is not really much to do. The "downtown" area of Volos is basically a business and shopping area for locals and is not far from the port. You can go to Makrinista/Mt.Pelion area, which is straight up on the mountain from the port, about 10 miles. A pretty little area, but you can see everything there is to see in 15 minutes. The ship offers a 3 hour excursion.

We decided to do a private taxi tour to the Makrinista/Pelion area and someone on this board had recommended a company called Volos VIP taxi. I contacted them, and their private tour for 2, with a new Mercedes 350 taxi and driver was the same price as the ship's "cattle bus" tour, so we decided to book the private tour. The person who recommended this company said they were wonderful, showed them all around, and even gave them a recorded DVD of the area they had visited. I was told by the owner of the company that "all of his drivers speak fluent English and know how to show you a good time". He said the price of our tour would be for up to 3 hours. We were supposed to get a Volos city tour, and tour of 2 of the villages in the Pelion area.

The Mercedes taxi and driver were waiting for us at the port. The Mercedes was not new; it was a few years old, and the driver was very polite but hardly spoke any English. We drove through Volos, without any words from the driver, and up the mountain to Makrinista. We stopped at a few places along the way (going up the mountain) for photos. The driver did know how to ask if we wanted to stop for photos, but not much of anything else. Most of the shops in the Makrinista area were already closed for the season. Just a few souvenir shops open and a few selling jams and jellies. We had seen everything in 15 minutes. We made one photo stop on the way down the mountain (nice views of the port and ship). We were relying on the driver to show us the sights of the area and instead he asked us where we wanted to go. He could not offer anything. I asked to see the Cathedral in Volos, and he drove within a block of it and pointed it out...not even able to get a photo, and then took us back to the ship. All of this was done in an hour and a half. He did manage to tell us in broken English that he lived in that area and had his own taxi company, and that the Volos VIP owner was "too busy" taking someone to the monestaries so he subcontracted out for him to take us to Pelion. Very disappointed in Volos VIP Taxi and would not recommend them.

Our tablemates walked from the port to the bus stop (maybe a mile) and took the bus up to Makrinista for about 4 euros. Not sure if they even got off - you could probably just ride it round trip to see the area and views from the mountain. I think the port of Volos is on the itinerary just for the monestaries - otherwise, not much to see and do there. And wanted to give you and everyone else a heads up about Volos VIP Taxi company.

Hope this information helps, and have a wonderful cruise.

Car hire/taxi is probably going to run around $300. There is a bus station right outside the pier area. Think I would check that and see how close you could get to Piereaus for probably around 20 EUR.

Not sure what ferry you will be on, but found this website

http://www.greekferries.gr/sff-en/superfast_bus.htm

If not this ferry, maybe contact the ferry you will be on to see if they do something similar.

Car hire/taxi is probably going to run around $300. There is a bus station right outside the pier area. Think I would check that and see how close you could get to Piereaus for probably around 20 EUR.

Not sure what ferry you will be on, but found this website

http://www.greekferries.gr/sff-en/superfast_bus.htm

If not this ferry, maybe contact the ferry you will be on to see if they do something similar.

Have been corresponding with the Superfast ferry folks - think we have that piece pretty much covered. Now we have to get from Patras to Pireaus - looks like the bus is the most cost effective option - Greek Taxi offered us a transfer with tour of Corinth for around $300, can't quite talk myself into that much, just for the convenience and the stop in Corinth.

Have been corresponding with the Superfast ferry folks - think we have that piece pretty much covered. Now we have to get from Patras to Pireaus - looks like the bus is the most cost effective option - Greek Taxi offered us a transfer with tour of Corinth for around $300, can't quite talk myself into that much, just for the convenience and the stop in Corinth.

Yes, Superfast is the one on the website I sent, and they do a bus transfer from Patras to Pireaus. You wouldn't have to hassle with the local bus system. It looks like the bus is right on the ferry in the pictures, and says it departs almost as soon as the ferry arrives. You can buy tickets on the ferry.

I knew the taxi would be costly, even without a tour stop in Corinth. Patras is quite a distance from Athens. And we paid 200 EUR just for a tour around Athens, not any great distance. But that seems to be pretty much the norm in Italy & Greece for a private transfer or tour.

We just returned home after cruise that departed from Athens (Pireaus). Though we did not do this time we have taken the ferry

from Bari. Once we got off it Corfu, in the early morning, waited for a couple of hours and change to a ferry to Pireaus. Second time, we rode the ferry to Partas where we rented a car. That time we went to Dephi--not good for you because of high mountain, and on to Athens. With the Superfast, try to get a front cabin, they are wonderful. Also the food of the ferry was good. Volos, we had found several historial sites, but could not get a service to take us to them. Most of them had closed do to the cutbacks. ALSO WE LANDING IN ATHEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A 72 HOUR GENERAL STRIKE, WITH ALL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, FERRIES, TAXIS AND LIKE SHUT DOWN. This stike was called 3 days before we left. Have another way to get where you want, just in case. Keep yourselves updated to what is going on in Greece, and also Italy, which also had a general strike while we were there.

We just returned home after cruise that departed from Athens (Pireaus). Though we did not do this time we have taken the ferry

from Bari. Once we got off it Corfu, in the early morning, waited for a couple of hours and change to a ferry to Pireaus. Second time, we rode the ferry to Partas where we rented a car. That time we went to Dephi--not good for you because of high mountain, and on to Athens. With the Superfast, try to get a front cabin, they are wonderful. Also the food of the ferry was good. Volos, we had found several historial sites, but could not get a service to take us to them. Most of them had closed do to the cutbacks. ALSO WE LANDING IN ATHEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A 72 HOUR GENERAL STRIKE, WITH ALL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, FERRIES, TAXIS AND LIKE SHUT DOWN. This stike was called 3 days before we left. Have another way to get where you want, just in case. Keep yourselves updated to what is going on in Greece, and also Italy, which also had a general strike while we were there.

Great advice! Will look into car rental options as well. Most have a 24 hr. cancellation policy so may be able to have a reservation as a back up. I do have information about flights from Milan to Athens, also, in case of rail/ferry strikes. Travel in these times is a little dicey, but it will be an adventure!

Thanks so much!

Archived