Evening attire

cage keeper

The attire for the evenings is clearly stated in the voyage documentation but for information it is either:

Elegant Casual

Semi-Formal

or

Formal

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men.

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

Most comply with the dress code as it is one of the best things about Cunard!

What is the attire each night? It it dressy always for dining?
Yes.

(unless your friends use the self-serve buffet every night).

As indicated above by Mallorcasaint, the evening dress code (which in my experience is seen ship-wide in the evenings with almost NO exceptions) is one of the reasons that many people choose Cunard, and is one way in which the line is different from ordinary cruise ship companies.

That and the fact that QM2 is unique, she is "a liner that goes cruising!"

I hope your friends have a wonderful voyage and the very best of times.

Thank you for your replies and information. I wish I were going with them on this cruise. They sailed with HAL for many years and because they pulled out of NY they switched to RCCL. I know they are going to Love Cunard. I enjoy dressing for dinner.

Thanks again,

joni

it dressy always for dining?

Just to clarify the other responses, other than formal evenings the dress code is not particularly "dressy" IMO. I wouldn't call slacks, jacket/blazer with open necked shirt for gents dressy, smart more accurately. The distaff side make their own rules of course.

Having said that the vast majority of passengers conform to what most people would find more than acceptable for wear in the evening.

David.

Just to clarify the other responses, other than formal evenings the dress code is not particularly "dressy" IMO. I wouldn't call slacks, jacket/blazer with open necked shirt for gents dressy, smart more accurately. The distaff side make their own rules of course.

Having said that the vast majority of passengers conform to what most people would find more than acceptable for wear in the evening.

David.

On some of the other lines there are many that don't even wear a jacket on formal nights.

joni

Just from my personal observation of several QM2 Caribbean cruises - the Holiday voyage (Caribbean Fiesta) is more attuned to the dress code than other QM2 voyage I've experienced. In other words, the dress code is followed; passengers dress VERY well on this cruise. The fare for this voyage is rather costly and rarely discounted. The dress code is enforced in the MDR. Perhaps this is one of Cunard's most special voyages? I'm glad I tried last year; it caused me to appreciate being home for the holidays this year.

Cage keeper, I hope your friends have an enjoyable holiday aboard QM2. Best wishes, S.

Just from my personal observation of several QM2 Caribbean cruises - the Holiday voyage (Caribbean Fiesta) is more attuned to the dress code than other QM2 voyage I've experienced. In other words, the dress code is followed; passengers dress VERY well on this cruise. The fare for this voyage is rather costly and rarely discounted. The dress code is enforced in the MDR. Perhaps this is one of Cunard's most special voyages? I'm glad I tried last year; it caused me to appreciate being home for the holidays this year.

Cage keeper, I hope your friends have an enjoyable holiday aboard QM2. Best wishes, S.

If it wasn't for it being so busy in the catering field(office parties,etc.)I'd most definately do this voyage.

Just disembarked QM2 yesterday, Tell your friends he will be well dressed for ANY of the evening meals in Britannia with a nice dark suit white shirt and discrete tie. If he likes to wear a Tux/black tie outfit he will have plenty of opportunity to wear it. Just a matter of choice, whatever the Fashion police say.

We had a great voyage

The Fashion Police won't have any problem with your recommendation, particularly if the suit is kept on through the evening's entertainments.

As Mae West might say - it depends on the kind of entertainment you have in mind ;):D

The Fashion Police won't have any problem with your recommendation, particularly if the suit is kept on through the evening's entertainments.

That's right. Although we do make exceptions for those gentlemen with buffed physiques. ;)

And, because we're all about equal opportunities, this season ladies will earn extra brownie points for peplums.

i-rnjB8Ld-L.jpg

And, Peter Pan collars - which (for some reason) were heavily featured in the Chanel Spring Summer 2013 RTW collection.

i-f6ZRF5Q-M.jpg

i-XHMJhdz-M.jpg

Just disembarked QM2 yesterday, Tell your friends he will be well dressed for ANY of the evening meals in Britannia with a nice dark suit white shirt and discrete tie. If he likes to wear a Tux/black tie outfit he will have plenty of opportunity to wear it. Just a matter of choice, whatever the Fashion police say.

We had a great voyage

Agreed! Every night I always wear a suit with tie or a tux. QM2 is a dress-up ship in the evenings. It's not Carnival! God bless her!

That's right. Although we do make exceptions for those gentlemen with buffed physiques. ;)

I hope you are not suggesting the Chippendales male stripper acts for nightly entertainment on board QM2. If so, some of us will be voting with our feet!

P.S. - the recent trend for peplums is just too horribly reminiscent of the bubble skirts of the late 1980s. I would actually deduct points for those caught wearing peplums.

Louise

I hope you are not suggesting the Chippendales male stripper acts for nightly entertainment on board QM2. If so, some of us will be voting with our feet!

Vibes or Chippendales....Vibes or Chippendales....

Between a rock and a hard place.

P.S. - the recent trend for peplums is just too horribly reminiscent of the bubble skirts of the late 1980s. I would actually deduct points for those caught wearing peplums.

Louise

We'd need to refer to the Fashion Police Style Guide. It would be awful if someone was sentence to hard labour in 8129 without just cause.

Where the FPSG is very clear, is the following fashion don'ts. Below are representations of outfits for which the Fashion Police have previously issued written warnings and/or a 'show cause' letter to the offender.

The below outfit was deemed to be unsuitable for afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Later that evening a 'show cause' letter was delivered to the offender's stateroom; it gave the recipient 48 hours to provide extenuating circumstances as to why they should not be disembarked at the next port.

i-s6XqSPz-M.jpg

Sadly, formal night photo opportunities were ruined when a gentleman decided that the below was appropriate attire for the Black & White Ball. Representatives from the Fashion Police took the offender aside and issued him with a verbal warning. The following day a written warning was delivered to the passenger's stateroom.

i-SsBj6mV-M.jpg

There's never an excuse for bad 80's hair. Despite a verbal warning, and a follow up written warning, this passenger refused to listen to reason and continued to exhibit a flagrantly 80's side-ponytail with excessive frizz. Confinement in 8129 for the remainder of the voyage was the sentence imposed by the Fashion Police.

i-JcfgQjB-M.jpg

Even off duty, the Fashion Police are looking out for you. Below is a depiction of what is, quite possibly, the worst swimsuit we've ever had the misfortune to encounter. The offender was immediately detained by the Fashion Police and read his 'Miranda Priestley' rights. Bail was refused and sentencing was immediate - confinement in 8129 with all meals to be taken in Todd English.

i-PJnMq5R-M.jpg

Sadly, formal night photo opportunities were ruined when a gentleman decided that the below was appropriate attire for the Black & White Ball. Representatives from the Fashion Police took the offender aside and issued him with a verbal warning. The following day a written warning was delivered to the passenger's stateroom.

i-SsBj6mV-M.jpg

Let me tell you, I had a lot of trouble with getting my feet into those shoes and didn't appreciate being so harshly spoken to.

i-SsBj6mV-M.jpg

Let me tell you, I had a lot of trouble with getting my feet into those shoes and didn't appreciate being so harshly spoken to.

lol

Yes, I'm aware of the situation (having read the report) and (as we outlined to you in our response to the formal complaint that you lodged) the situation only became inflamed due to your insistence on debating the various merits of the outfit that you were wearing.

We do acknowledge that you went to some effort in having the outfit especially made, however, rules are rules.

There's never an excuse for bad 80's hair. Despite a verbal warning, and a follow up written warning, this passenger refused to listen to reason and continued to exhibit a flagrantly 80's side-ponytail with excessive frizz. Confinement in 8129 for the remainder of the voyage was the sentence imposed by the Fashion Police.

i-JcfgQjB-M.jpg

Even off duty, the Fashion Police are looking out for you. Below is a depiction of what is, quite possibly, the worst swimsuit we've ever had the misfortune to encounter. The offender was immediately detained by the Fashion Police and read his 'Miranda Priestley' rights. Bail was refused and sentencing was immediate - confinement in 8129 with all meals to be taken in Todd English.

i-PJnMq5R-M.jpg

You have been raiding my photo albums again. I remember I wore that hairstyle from the last day of high school AND that so-called swimsuit is a dead ringer for a romper suit I had as a todder.

Louise

We'd need to refer to the Fashion Police Style Guide. It would be awful if someone was sentence to hard labour in 8129 without just cause.

Where the FPSG is very clear, is the following fashion don'ts. Below are representations of outfits for which the Fashion Police have previously issued written warnings and/or a 'show cause' letter to the offender.

The below outfit was deemed to be unsuitable for afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Later that evening a 'show cause' letter was delivered to the offender's stateroom; it gave the recipient 48 hours to provide extenuating circumstances as to why they should not be disembarked at the next port.

i-s6XqSPz-M.jpg

i-SsBj6mV-M.jpg

i-JcfgQjB-M.jpg

i-PJnMq5R-M.jpg

And in what way does this display apply to Cunard cruises?

i-s6XqSPz-M.jpg

i-SsBj6mV-M.jpg

i-JcfgQjB-M.jpg

i-PJnMq5R-M.jpg

Yup that is exactly the way Cunard passengers dress:rolleyes:

Archived