What to Wear with Formal Dress?

Sunseeker11

I use either a Bolera style shrug, or a fancier light scarf that I drape across my mid back only across where bra fastens and then let it hang over both forearms if you can picture that. It doesn't distract the look of the dress but can keep you warmer and it can open up slight it need be and drape over the shoulders whilst sitting.

I have several different wraps (big scarves). Some are lightweight - like chiffon. Others are a bit heavier (more like a pashmina).

On one cruise when it was a lot colder, I took a lightweight dress evening jacket.

Neiman Marcus at Target has a really cute cape that would go well with many evening dresses. I think it's $79.

FYI, for the holidays, Macy's has some cute and inexpensive wraps/scarves with sequins or beads in the accessories department. I bought a black beaded shawl there last season that I sometimes use for a little extra coverage with my dress on formal nights. On other nights at dinner, I fold it and use it as a scarf to set off a simple black top.

Archived