CCL has gift cards, why not NCL?

McDebbie

Friends and family can now buy gift cards for those cruising on CCL, hope NCL follows soon. The cards can be used to pay for the cruise, not only for on board purchases. I figure a couple of birthdays and Christmas gift cards would sure help with another cruise. Would love to be able to tell the kids to get us a gift card instead of telling them "ah, we don't need anything".

Available in $10 to $1000 increments, something to keep in mind if you have a CCL cruiser on your gift list.

Friends and family can now buy gift cards for those cruising on CCL, hope NCL follows soon.

The Carnival gift card program is quite new, and (in normal Carnival fashion) they've already screwed up some of the specifics.

They never cease to amaze.

Are not gift cards and cash about the same thing? A check would work just as well? Give me a card with cash inside saying it's for my next cruise and I'll be a happy camper.:D

You can use cash anywhere, the gift card would be limited to use with CCL. We have a hard time setting money aside for stuff like this so being able to buy a gift card every month has its advantages.

The Carnival gift card program is quite new, and (in normal Carnival fashion) they've already screwed up some of the specifics.

They never cease to amaze.

Once they work the bugs out though it has promise.

Could always buy an OBC via the bon voyage gifts -

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/bon-voyage-gifts

Granted - they need to have a cruise booked already for this to work.

I think their OBC is a good program for those that have a cruise booked already if you wish to contribute to someone's vacation.

I can see CCL making a ton of money on unused gift cards. How much are people assuming that others will give them in "gifts". It would take a lot of $25 or $100 gift cards to = a cruise. Most gift cards from places cannot be turned back in for cash if they are unused as with Carnival's.

"Can I receive a refund on funds I have placed in my Carnival Gift Card?

No, Gift Cards are not refundable or redeemable for cash, except where required by law.

Gift Cards are redeemable for cruise reservation or onboard spending only, and there is no cash back."

The road (well you know where) is paved with good intentions, so even though someone may have intentions on taking a near future cruise or even a cruise on a particular line. There are many variables that may keep this from happening as planned. So your friends and loved ones buy you a ***gift card, then for some unforeseen reason, your plans do not happen, then what? They have just thrown that money out the window!

Sure they can be purchased for those that already have a cruise booked, again chancing you follow through with that cruise. But if that is the case you can purchase OBC through NCL's bon voyage the same way.

Archived