help with a few FLL plans..

ginka

I have tried searching the boards and because I have a few 'different' needs, I thought I would just tell my needs and ask for help all in one..

Little background:

My family of 4 are flying into FLL on a friday night (jan. 4th) for our princess cruise on saturday (jan. 5th). My parents, who live in Cocoa Beach are cruising with us. They are driving down Saturday morning to meet us. After the cruise, my parents are heading back up north and we (the 4 of us) do not fly out until 9 pm that night out of FLL. so here are my needs/questions...

1. Can you pull up curbside and drop off your luggage at the cruise ship, and if so, how early can this be done.

2. Can one or two people drop off the luggage for the entire party, or does each person need to drop off their own luggage? (the reason for this question is if my parents pick us up at the hotel to take us to the cruise port with them, we can not fit 6 plus the luggage in the car, if we are able to drop off the luggage and then go back for the people that would work)

3. are there any hotels near the cruise port that offer free or cheap parking during the cruise?

4. If Spirit airlines does not participate in the "Easy check" (I understand we will not be able to find this out until we get there?) post cruise, is there anywhere to store luggage for the day POST CRUISE.

5. Ideas on things to do on the day we get back into FLL without a car (and hopefully without luggage!)

6. Any place to shower or freshen up before heading to the airport at night.

7. Best way to get to the airport. (is taxi only option?)

I have tried searching the boards and because I have a few 'different' needs, I thought I would just tell my needs and ask for help all in one..

Little background:

My family of 4 are flying into FLL on a friday night (jan. 4th) for our princess cruise on saturday (jan. 5th). My parents, who live in Cocoa Beach are cruising with us. They are driving down Saturday morning to meet us. After the cruise, my parents are heading back up north and we (the 4 of us) do not fly out until 9 pm that night out of FLL. so here are my needs/questions...

1. Can you pull up curbside and drop off your luggage at the cruise ship, and if so, how early can this be done. Yes, very close. I won't do it before 10, maybe 10:30.

2. Can one or two people drop off the luggage for the entire party, or does each person need to drop off their own luggage? (the reason for this question is if my parents pick us up at the hotel to take us to the cruise port with them, we can not fit 6 plus the luggage in the car, if we are able to drop off the luggage and then go back for the people that would work) Yes.

3. are there any hotels near the cruise port that offer free or cheap parking during the cruise? A couple. Some reading on the board for park and cruise will give you info.

4. If Spirit airlines does not participate in the "Easy check" (I understand we will not be able to find this out until we get there?) post cruise, is there anywhere to store luggage for the day POST CRUISE.

5. Ideas on things to do on the day we get back into FLL without a car (and hopefully without luggage!) Ship's excursion.

6. Any place to shower or freshen up before heading to the airport at night.

7. Best way to get to the airport. (is taxi only option?) It isn't the only option, but most consider it the easiest, and it is probably the cheapest.

See above

Hotels offering parking while gone are near the airport. Go to parksleepfly.com for those package deals.

Since you aren't leaving until 9 pm, I'd rent a car and store the bags in the trunk. Then you have the whole day to hit spots of interest from Ft L to South Beach. Ship excursions will have you at the airport by 1:00:eek:

Your only other choice would be to call hotels and see if they will rent you a room for the day. But that always depends on availibility. I'd definitley choose a car over that choice and see the area. YOu could do the complete Fort Lauderdale water taxi route, hit one of the Everglades tours, walk around South Beach, take in the art deco area, take a water tour viewing the mansions and "famous people" homes etc. I'd find it more entertaining than hanging at a hotel.

3. are there any hotels near the cruise port that offer free or cheap parking during the cruise?

There's parking "packages" like the previous poster mentioned, but you often pay an inflated rate. www.parkingstay.com has a map showing hotels that offer "free" parking in their regular rates along with those the offer the package rates.

I would add too to not sign up for paid shuttle service to the port. Cab fare will be comparable to the $8-10 ( per person) a lot of the hotels charge. Not worth giving up the freedom to transport on your schedule and not wait while the shuttles head to differnt ships to unload. Some hotels incude free shuttle service. Again, up to users if it's worth the ride that way. On a busy cruise weekend, a wait might be in order. Check to see at check in if the desk has a "sign in" ledger for that too.

Check rates at all hotels with incuded and without included parking. Choose the best value and security for your car.

Highly unlikely you will ever see Spirit participate in Ez-check because of their giant pyramid of extra fees (checked bags, carryon bags, seat assignments); too many for them to rely on setting up a third party to collect and forward the money, even if it saves them a little work. Spirit also does not have curbside bag drop at FLL; if you want to drop your bags early you would have to catch them at a time the ticket counter was open for an earlier flight.

Are your parents planning to head north right after disembarkation? I'm guessing even if they wanted to spend the day with you that their vehicle will not hold the six of you and all your luggage. Looks like the money you saved by by booking a late evening flight on a budget airline will have to be spent on a rental car and/or a day room at a hotel.

Archived