Payne Lecture & QM2 Departure

dougnewmanatsea

Yesterday I attended a lecture by Stephen Payne on the subject of QM2, sponsored by the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter and the Ocean Liner Council of the South Street Seaport Museum.

This was the first opportunity I'd had to meet Stephen and he certainly lived up to his reputation as a superb lecturer. It was a great honor to meet him and chat with him for a few minutes after the lecture - despite his accomplishments, he's amazingly accessible and unpretentious and I'm looking forward to the next chance I have to meet him.

Following the presentation, the Ocean Liner Council presented maritime historian, author, and lecturer Bill Miller with their Silver Riband Award. Bill's has been a household name amongst ship enthusiasts for years now and so between him and Stephen, it was a star-studded afternoon in ship enthusiast terms.

Later in the afternoon, a few friends and I went over to Jersey City to photograph QM2's departure. The weather was mostly cooperative (it began to rain just as she slid out of sight). You can view the resulting photos (mine, that is) here. She is aesthetically imperfect, but she remains an immensely impressive vessel and there is something particularly amazing about watching her glide by having just shaken hands with the man who designed her only a few minutes earlier. Those interested in photographing ships in the port of New York would be well served to read this article by my friend Ted Scull who was among those present to photograph QM2 yesterday.

The photos are in three sizes - if you click on the thumnail, you'll get a medium-sized photo; after that you will get a rather larger photo if you click on "Get Original Uploaded Photo". If anyone would like a full size (8.2 MP) version of one of these photos for personal non-commercial use, as always just send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to oblige.

_MG_0231-vi.jpg

All in all, it was a great day and one I do hope to repeat sometime in the future.

Yesterday I attended a lecture by Stephen Payne on the subject of QM2 ...

This was the first opportunity I'd had to meet Stephen and he certainly lived up to his reputation as a superb lecturer. It was a great honor to meet him and chat with him for a few minutes after the lecture - despite his accomplishments, he's amazingly accessible and unpretentious and I'm looking forward to the next chance I have to meet him.

All in all, it was a great day and one I do hope to repeat sometime in the future.

Doug, I'm glad you had the chance to meet and speak with Stephen, and I'm glad you commented favorably here. Stephen was wondering if there had been any online remarks about his appearance at South Street yesterday when we picked him up to bring him to the airport this afternoon. He flies back to London tonight, then gets on another plane mid-week to fly to the shipyard in Finland. His is a busy job.

Stephen did the same lecture ("Genisis of a Queen") on board last week and also a Q & A session with the ship's cruise director, both well attended and quite interesting. Especially with the Q & A, Stephen was unflappable, as always.

Karen

Stephen was wondering if there had been any online remarks about his appearance

Well, you're more than welcome to let him know about these :) !

Sorry you couldn't attend.

What is going on in Finland? I have to look again now but I can't recall any ships Carnival has on order there?

Knowing how busy he is makes it all the more impressive that he continues to take time out to be with enthusiast groups like the SSHSA etc. - I know of no other person in a similar position who does so. It is really admirable and I know I am not alone in my appreciation.

Among other details uncovered during the lecture, I was interested to hear him mention an initial design proposal from Kvaerner Masa-Yards for a QE2 replacement that was rejected. It would be fascinating to see what that was like - I get the impression it left something to be desired.

What is going on in Finland? I have to look again now but I can't recall any ships Carnival has on order there?

They don't have any on order there *yet*, but who knows what the future may hold?

Ernie

They don't have any on order there *yet*, but who knows what the future may hold?

Of course... I just wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten something.

These days Fincantieri is looking a lot like the house yard of Carnival Corp. but even Fincantieri can't fulfill their insatiable appetite for new ships as witnessed by the Meyer order for Aida.

Right now I think there is a lot of capacity at Aker Finnyards Helsinki - IIRC, the Color Line ships and the Ultra-Voyagers are all supposed to come from Turku.

Of course... I just wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten something.

These days Fincantieri is looking a lot like the house yard of Carnival Corp. but even Fincantieri can't fulfill their insatiable appetite for new ships as witnessed by the Meyer order for Aida.

Considering that Carnival controls more than 50% of the cruise industry with multiple brands, I don't think Fincantieri alone can keep up with the demand for new ships within Carnival Corp. Carnival has a very good relationship with Aker (Masa) having built the Fantasy and Spirit Class ships there. I would imagine that Aker in Finland might be used for HAL or Princess newbuilds that are currently in the design phase. Just a hunch.

Ernie

I would imagine that Aker in Finland might be used for HAL or Princess newbuilds that are currently in the design phase. Just a hunch.

Ernie

You are, as usual, right on the money, Ernie ;-)

Doug, it's not just the ships that are already being built in any given shipyard, but the contractual and design phases are probably even more important. Even after a yard has been chosen, that yard has to get estimates and bids on the materials, cost of construction of the machines and other shipbuilding items it will need.

Stephen is vice president of Carnival Corp. shipbuilding, which has him with his hand in all aspects of Carnival brand ship design and construction.

Karen

You are, as usual, right on the money, Ernie ;-)

Karen

Welcome back Karen! I hope we can count on you for a full unbiased review of QM2. I always find your reviews so entertaining and usually right on the mark. It's also nice you get the "inside scoop" so the speak. ;)

Ernie

Karen, my wife and I were in the balcony at Mr. Payne's Q & A, and, we were both a bit miffed at his non-inclusion in the development of Queen Victoria. His response did seemwhat taken back. Please, your thoughts!

Sorry, but I wasn't at the Q&A and wasn't able to see the whole video on our cabin TV, so I can't comment. What did you want to know about the Queen Victoria?

Karen

What did you want to know about the Queen Victoria?

Karen

Hi Karen,

I would like to know if Carnival/Princess/Cunard is actually serious about building her? Many are beginning to question if she will be built at all, and maybe something else is in the works?

Ernie

Hi Karen,

I would like to know if Carnival/Princess/Cunard is actually serious about building her? Many are beginning to question if she will be built at all, and maybe something else is in the works?

Ernie

Ernie, I asked specifically about the Queen Victoria ... about any delays, problems, reconsiderations ... and was told that she was to be built; in fact, it was a surprise to Stephen that anyone had said she was delayed or cancelled.

I guess we'll see.

Karen

Considering that Carnival controls more than 50% of the cruise industry with multiple brands, I don't think Fincantieri alone can keep up with the demand for new ships within Carnival Corp.

Right, just as I said ;) .

I was just surprised to hear that he was heading for Finland - presumably this is an indication of some activity between Carnival and Aker Finnyards.

I would imagine that Aker in Finland might be used for HAL or Princess newbuilds that are currently in the design phase.

And this would be a first for either one!

Princess of course was also a very loyal Fincantieri customer pre-Carnival, and so far HAL hasn't had anything built elsewhere since the previous NOORDAM!

Ernie, I asked specifically about the Queen Victoria ... about any delays, problems, reconsiderations ... and was told that she was to be built; in fact, it was a surprise to Stephen that anyone had said she was delayed or cancelled.

I guess we'll see.

Karen

Thanks for the info Karen. I'm still not holding my breath.

Ernie

I was just surprised to hear that he was heading for Finland -

LOL! Doug, I think you'd be surprised by A LOT of things!

presumably this is an indication of some activity between Carnival and Aker Finnyards.

First rule of life: Never presume.

Karen

Archived