5 days out and no cabin assignment yet.

gamecockvic

Three weeks is about when they start assigning rooms, but the probability is that you won't hear for another 6 or 7 days ... or more. Being sold out doesn't make any difference.

Strange, I would have thought it made all the difference. If they are no longer accepting purchases, it means they just have to juggle to available rooms with the GUAR tickets. If they weren't sold out, they would wait to see, for example, if someone would purchase the Deluxe suites that were available.

Maybe it just comes down to when someone gets the time to manually allocate the staterooms, though I thought it could be at least somewhat automated.

Rob

If they are no longer accepting purchases, it means they just have to juggle to available rooms with the GUAR tickets. Maybe it just comes down to when someone gets the time to manually allocate the staterooms, though I thought it could be at least somewhat automated.

Rob

I often wondered if when it came to placement of the gty's if the list went alphabetically vs when the cruise was booked vs price paid vs mariner stars... I guess we may never know.

We finally got ours today: SS8088 (from an SZ guarantee). I like the proximity to Lido and the Seaview bar, but would have preferred a non-connecting room (I think we lose closet space?). Overall I'm satisfied.

A Big Congratulations.. I know you are smiling!!:D

Joseph

I often wondered if when it came to placement of the gty's if the list went alphabetically vs when the cruise was booked vs price paid vs mariner stars... I guess we may never know.

I know a lot of people seem to go with that theory but it hasn't been my experience. On my cruise on the Veendam in Apr. there were people that piad more, some paid less. I'm a 4*, there were people that had a couple of cruises, and some that had none with HAL. We all got equal upgrades from what we booked.

Strange, I would have thought it made all the difference. If they are no longer accepting purchases, it means they just have to juggle to available rooms with the GUAR tickets. If they weren't sold out, they would wait to see, for example, if someone would purchase the Deluxe suites that were available.

Maybe it just comes down to when someone gets the time to manually allocate the staterooms, though I thought it could be at least somewhat automated.

Rob

You would think it would work that way but it doesn't. HAL seems to like to do everything in order by when the ships leave.

My guess is its a computer program, and it applies rooms from the top down. Like people who booked an SA get an SA, then people who booked SB, get upgraded if any are left. Then people that booked an SC get upgraded to SA or SB if there are any left. Hence why so many SC get SA... However, that is after all of the upsells and considering the do not upgrade list... Who knows! Just my guess.

. On my cruise on the Veendam in Apr. there were people that piad more, some paid less. I'm a 4*, there were people that had a couple of cruises, and some that had none with HAL. We all got equal upgrades from what we booked.

Interesting observation.. thank you!

Strange, I would have thought it made all the difference. If they are no longer accepting purchases, it means they just have to juggle to available rooms with the GUAR tickets.
It doesn't. We were once on a cruise that was sold out 3 months in advance. We were given our assignment 11 days out. Before they process your cruise, they have to do the ones before you. Each one starts being processed about 3 weeks out, peaks at about 10 days, and finishes in the last week.

There are exceptions, such as when doing a back-to-back you may get your assignment earlier than normal.

A former HAL employee who used to post here as DutchByAssociation has said that the earlier you book and the higher the price you paid the better your chances for an upgrade. Mariner status comes into play to a lesser degree.

DutchByAssociation has said that the earlier you book and the higher the price you paid the better your chances for an upgrade. Mariner status comes into play to a lesser degree.

That makes good sense...That formula would not help us....although we are 3* Mariners.....we ended up paying the same amount for our gty veranda that we did when we originally booked this cruise in a inside cat I..

Oh well at least we have a veranda!! :D

Joseph

My guess is its a computer program, and it applies rooms from the top down. Like people who booked an SA get an SA, then people who booked SB, get upgraded if any are left. Then people that booked an SC get upgraded to SA or SB if there are any left. Hence why so many SC get SA... However, that is after all of the upsells and considering the do not upgrade list... Who knows! Just my guess.

That was my observation as well, but I also suspect that upgrades also occur if someone has not been on HAL for quite a while and comes back to retry them. That was a general thought a few years ago and it was true in my case in addition to the above. Just speculating though.

A former HAL employee who used to post here as DutchByAssociation has said that the earlier you book and the higher the price you paid the better your chances for an upgrade. Mariner status comes into play to a lesser degree.

That hasn't been my experience at all but it might drum up money for HAL so I could see why he would say that.

Consider yourself VERY lucky if that happens. It's never happened for me in over 250 days with HAL but it certainely doesn't mean it won't for you. Good luck!

This happened to me a few years ago. Booked an OV (straight-up, not a guarantee) and at check-in got bumped to a verandah.

Needless to say, I was pleased. :)

Also, even though I had tagged my luggage with what I thought my room number was, the crew got it sorted out and it was in my new room right when it was supposed to be.

Archived