RCCL in Galveston 2013-14??

chris2597

Is RCCL not coming back to Galveston in 2013-14? I read something to that on our last Roll Call. Galveston is a mess when it comes to embarkation/debarkation. I will be sad to see them go if this is true.

Mariner is leaving Galveston in April 2013 to go to Asia, but Navigator will be coming to Galveston in November 2013. Navigator is also a Generation 2 Voyager class ship like Mariner, but she has not had her updates yet. They will be done in Jan. 2014 and then come back to Galveston.

Out of 20 plus cruises out of Galveston, had two problems...One was a 4 hour fog delay and two weeks ago, a three hour delay boarding...When we got off we left the ship at 8;15am and were in our vehicle at 9am.

So, no complaints. When Navigator gets here, we will sail her as well.

I hadn't had any trouble last January when we sailed out of there. Only shock I dealt with was how much Galveston had changed since I was last there.

Felt very strange standing on the beach down near 61st street and not seeing the Flagship Hotel up north. That was just weird to me. (I've been a semi-regular visitor to Galveston since the 70s as a kid.)

RCI hasn't backed out.

The only cruise line to back out of Galveston is Disney. They had a 2 year contract, but are only going to do one season.

Princess is doing 1 season in Galveston and then moving to Port of Houston. NCL is going to start at the port of Houston in 2014.

They are expanding the Port of Galveston but the cruise lines don't believe its enough to support more than just Carnival and RCI. Thats why Princess and NCL are going to Port of Houston. Probably why Disney is back out as well.

RCI's problem is, they aren't year round out of Galveston. So it takes some time for their employees and port employees to get things going smoothly every year. Carnival doesn't have near the problem RCI has when it comes to embarkation/debarkation.

I hadn't had any trouble last January when we sailed out of there. Only shock I dealt with was how much Galveston had changed since I was last there.

Felt very strange standing on the beach down near 61st street and not seeing the Flagship Hotel up north. That was just weird to me. (I've been a semi-regular visitor to Galveston since the 70s as a kid.)

Flagship had been a real dump for many years if not decades but it took a hurricane to create a little "renewal" :)

Now there is this: http://www.pleasurepier.com/

Same guy (Tilman Fertita) wants to redevelop some of the dock where RCCL and Carnival currently dock but of course there's a big fight about that !

Flagship had been a real dump for many years if not decades but it took a hurricane to create a little "renewal" :)

Now there is this: http://www.pleasurepier.com/

Same guy (Tilman Fertita) wants to redevelop some of the dock where RCCL and Carnival currently dock but of course there's a big fight about that !

That guy is always trying to rearrange the scenery. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not. Ah well, that's the way it goes.

No argument there, the Flagship was looking pretty tired the last time I saw it (1997). But I stayed there a day or two for old times sake. Service at that point was down, but not horrible. It needed some TLC, but never got it.

The new "boardwalk" looks like it will be very entertaining. Probably a better thing in the long run.

Is RCCL not coming back to Galveston in 2013-14? I read something to that on our last Roll Call. Galveston is a mess when it comes to embarkation/debarkation. I will be sad to see them go if this is true.

Based on your cruise history you've never sailed from Galveston.

Based on your cruise history you've never sailed from Galveston.

I updated my sailing history. My old history did include a sailing on 3 sailings from Galveston. The sailings included 2 Princess cruises on the Grand and one RCCL sailing on the Voyager.

Archived