Tsunami debris reach Hawaiian beaches?

jdblakeslee

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw the clip on NBC News last night concerning the debris that has reached the shores of Oahu and the prediction that this is the "first wave" and to expect more in the coming months next year.

From an environmental stance, this is alarming. From a vacationer's stance, I'm wondering if we should make alternative plans for our May, 2013 trip.

What are your opinions and ideas? Will this change your plans? I'm in a real quandry.

Jennifer

From what I have seen here on our local news, the tsunami debris washing ashore is a very random and infrequent thing. There have been several items identified over the past few months and this has been on various islands. These have been very large pieces of debris, such as barges, etc., not clumps of smaller stuff. It then takes the authories quite a bit of time to verify if it is actually tsunami debris from Japan or just other random trash. Personally, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Here's the link to the video clip from their website:

Troubling signs in paradise

On Kamilo Beach on Hawaiis Big Island, disturbing research demonstrates plastic debris is being ingested by wildlife at an alarming rate. NBCs Miguel Almaguer reports.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/50152559

See what you think...

Jennifer

On Kamilo Beach on Hawaiis Big Island, disturbing research demonstrates plastic debris is being ingested by wildlife at an alarming rate. NBCs Miguel Almaguer reports.

See what you think...

Jennifer

Ummm plastic debris.

Not sure where you have been hibernating but trash being washed up is part of many of the world beaches and has been for decades unfortunately.

I mean the old adage 'don't throw your cigarettes into the gutter as they get flushed out to sea' still holds try...but it's washed back to the beach.

No I wouldn't cancel as you would find few beaches to travel to that doesn't have rubbish wash up.....and let's face it. Have you ever cancelled a holiday due to the unseen carcinogens being pumped out by car exhaust emissions. There were be far more airborne 'dirt' and pollution in every place including home than rubbish your likely to see on a beach.

Jennifer,

The news is ALWAYS going to show you the worst pictures or scenes to get their point across. There is a good possibility that you will see none of this debris when you are there. As everyone else has said, with the Tsunami, this is an unfortunate side effect. Plus all coastal areas have to deal with trash washing ashore anyway due to things other than Mother Nature.

Will this cause me to cancel my trip? Absolutely not. If anything, I consider the money I spend there might be used to help fund the clean up.

See what you think...

Jennifer

Do you think they'd have gotten many viewers if they'd gone with a more accurate title like "Tsunami adds a little more to an existing problem"? The way the current new cycle works is you sensationalize everything to entice people to watch. Accuracy and fair reporting are as dead as Walter Cronkite.

Enjoy the beach

Ron

If you Google Kamilo Beach Hawaii, you will see many articles about this being called plastic beach for years and years. It has to do with the way the beach is situated and the trade winds coming ashore. This plastic mess was here long before the tsunami hit Japan. Also, most visitors to this island will never see this beach as it is very remote.

Ok, I get it!

We live on the Gulf Coast beaches of MS and are well aware of the trash that is in the water and the damage it can do to wildlife. We are also aware of what man-made disasters such as the BP Oil spill can do...

Tourism is a vital part of our local economy and bad press can literally ruin it for years. I didn't mean to further the damage by asking my question, merely asking for your thoughts, and I appreciate all who posted.

See you in Maui! Mahalo!

Jennifer

When you consider that Hawaii has about 750 MILES of coastline, your chance of actually seeing any debris are extremely slim. Even if you did happen to see something, would that ruin your trip? It would probably be a good story to take back home, rather than anything negative.

Gotta love the media...just as today was our last day on Earth. I saw a documentary a few months ago about Garbage Island in the pacific ocean near Hawaii and Midway Island. For some reason, it is where all the garbage collects in the Pacific. It is interesting in that they used that footage for this NBC spot...so the footage you are seeing with the large amount of barbage is NOT Hawaii...it is Garbage Island.

Archived