Cruise ship excursion to St John?

joanna111

Tortola and Virgin Gorda are both gorgeous and Josts is fun (both White Bay and Great Harbor). We love staying on Tortola and there are a variety of options including nice villas within walking distance to Smuggler's Cove (good snorkeling and usually deserted). We like visiting the LBR and the beach is pretty there. We last stayed at the Heritage Inn and that was great. CGB is a good choice if you like having happy hours and music right where you stay but gets cruise ship crowds during the day.

We would highly recommend time on Tortola, and just taking a water taxi to Josts is fun too.

Thanks so much for all the good info. I usually do lots of searches before asking questions but I didn't realize that I could find anything about this exact cruise ship excursion.

I think we will go with the RCCL excursion. It sounds like we would get to St. John earlier in the day if we went on our own but then we'd want to leave St. John earlier to make sure we get back to the ship on time. At $40 the cost isn't much higher. And we can decide at the last minute if we want to hop off at Cruz Bay or take the coastal trip.

• 4 weeks later...
I am confused...perhaps you took a ship-sponsored tour boat from the cruise dock? There is not a ferry available there so I'm assuming that's what you are referring to...That is very easy, we enjoyed that our very first visit to STT/STJ. But we found alternative options to be enjoyable too. Just a matter of the experience you want.

I am considering the ship sponsored day excursion to St. John from RCCL from the cruise dock vs on our own. Would like to take that hike to Honeymoon Beach :) Our itinerary lists departure from the dock as 10:30 am. How soon after boarding did you leave? If it takes too long to check people in, etc., I would rather take a taxi. Thanks for your information.

Sue

Archived