Gluten Free in Juneau

fireflymd

We are presently booked on the Whales, Bears & Glaciers tour in Juneau, which ends at 1:30 pm. It looks like when it ends we will be only 15 minutes from the ship, so we might venture to stay in Juneau for lunch before returning to the ship (ship leaves at 4 pm).

If you have eaten at any of these places which serve gluten-free food, I would appreciate hearing your review (and how close they are to Juneau airport where our tour ends, or how close they are to the pier where the cruise ship docks):

Tracy's King Crab Shack

The Rookery Cafe

Pie in the Sky

Hangar on the Wharf (that one sounds close!)

Twisted Fish Co.

We are presently booked on the Whales, Bears & Glaciers tour in Juneau, which ends at 1:30 pm. It looks like when it ends we will be only 15 minutes from the ship, so we might venture to stay in Juneau for lunch before returning to the ship (ship leaves at 4 pm).

If you have eaten at any of these places which serve gluten-free food, I would appreciate hearing your review (and how close they are to Juneau airport where our tour ends, or how close they are to the pier where the cruise ship docks):

Tracy's King Crab Shack

The Rookery Cafe

Pie in the Sky

Twisted Fish Co.

Tracy's gets consistant rave reviews. I have eaten at the Hanger and Twisted Fish. both very good. Easily walkable on the dock.

I can vouch for Tracy's - HUGE crab legs, delicious crab bisque, all just scrumptious, but pricey. Well worth it in our opinion. Nothing fancy, literally a food cart with picnic tables under a canopy. Long lines to order your food. We've already ordered it to go and taken the food back aboard the ship to eat in our cabin or on the tables at the aft Lido pool, with the stunning views of Juneau all around. It is located next to the library/parking garage, right along the pier where the ships dock downtown.

I can vouch for Tracy's - HUGE crab legs, delicious crab bisque, all just scrumptious, but pricey. Well worth it in our opinion. Nothing fancy, literally a food cart with picnic tables under a canopy. Long lines to order your food. We've already ordered it to go and taken the food back aboard the ship to eat in our cabin or on the tables at the aft Lido pool, with the stunning views of Juneau all around. It is located next to the library/parking garage, right along the pier where the ships dock downtown.

Oh, that's good to know! I prefer the least amount of travel possible before we board the ship again, so that's great to know. It convenient that we won't have to miss our transfer back to the ship from the excursion. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Tracy's King Crab Shack

The Rookery Cafe

Pie in the Sky

Twisted Fish Co.

Pie in the Sky doesn't have seating; it's just a walk-up window. I've only had their pastries, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have gluten-free options.

Rookery Cafe is baked goods too. They may have soups? It's a coffee shop with some light food options. (Well, not light in calories, but the number)

The Silverbow Bakery is in the same general area. Although it's known for its bread and bagels, it does have great salads and soups too. There're a couple of cafes in the downtown area, very good, hand-made food, but they're all going to go heavily toward baked foods and may not have any gluten-free options.

The Hanger and Twisted Fish are on two different ends of the cruise ship area and owned by the same company, but are different in style and most dishes. TF is more 'young and hip' with more adventurous cooking but the Hanger has views. They're both sit-down dining with the increased prices over cafes. And they both serve alcohol. Both places will have breaded dishes but there will be plenty of plain options.

Pie in the Sky doesn't have seating; it's just a walk-up window. I've only had their pastries, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have gluten-free options.

Rookery Cafe is baked goods too. They may have soups? It's a coffee shop with some light food options. (Well, not light in calories, but the number)

The Silverbow Bakery is in the same general area. Although it's known for its bread and bagels, it does have great salads and soups too. There're a couple of cafes in the downtown area, very good, hand-made food, but they're all going to go heavily toward baked foods and may not have any gluten-free options.

The Hanger and Twisted Fish are on two different ends of the cruise ship area and owned by the same company, but are different in style and most dishes. TF is more 'young and hip' with more adventurous cooking but the Hanger has views. They're both sit-down dining with the increased prices over cafes. And they both serve alcohol. Both places will have breaded dishes but there will be plenty of plain options.

Thanks for your response. The places I listed have gluten-free options per a restaurant review site. When our trip gets closer, I plan to contact them to see what specifically what gluten-free options they have to offer.

So far it looks like Tracy's Crab Shack or the Hangar are our best options.

Archived