1800flyeurope

Muumuu

Travel agencies are fine institutions. Travel consolidators are often not. I believe they are the latter,

I agree, travel agencies are fine institutions, I occasionally use one myself. Just can't talk about specific ones here.

I believe you're right about the one the OP mentioned being a consolidator. I merely looked at the web page. It smelled like a travel agency to me - e.g. a button for cruises. After seeing your post I tried a dummy booking. Came to a page that had:

"Once a ticket is issued, it may not be transferred to a different passenger or airline."

"However, some fares allow no changes, please call to confirm."

"Your ticket may not qualify for Frequent Flyer mileage accrual..."

Now it smells like a consolidator. I didn't see a way to view the actual fare rules before giving it a credit card number. There's nothing wrong with consolidator tickets as long as you know and understand the restrictions before you pay.

• 3 weeks later...
I have noticed on the transatlantic cruise boards that quite a few are booking one way air with them. I had never heard of them. All comments appreciated

Used 1800flyeurope for flights to BCN for Breeze TA this year. it No problems whatsoever.....great flights via London, great prices..

Will definitely look at them for Sunshine TA too.... and got great arrangements only booking in , thinking, July....

Dave

Used 1800flyeurope for flights to BCN for Breeze TA this year. it No problems whatsoever.....great flights via London, great prices..

Will definitely look at them for Sunshine TA too.... and got great arrangements only booking in , thinking, July....

Dave

You do realize you ARE NOT getting the same type of ticket from 1800flyeurope that you get from an airline, don't you???

And IF there is a glitch in your travel plans, you are at the bottom of the barrel for re-accommodation. Depending on how many days early you fly in, you MAY NOT make your cruise if you are flying in just the day before or the day of with your 1800flyeurope ticket.

There is a LOT more to an airplane ticket than PRICE. The underlying FARE RULES determine what you can and cannot do if there is a glitch in your travel plans. And the FARE RULES for MOST consolidator type tickets (1800flyeurope is a consolidator) are much more stringent that normal airline tickets.

Another risk of most consolidator tickets is if you do not take the flight for any reason you forfeit the entire ticket. You cannot change the travel dates as you can with published-fare tickets (albeit usually for a rebooking fee). If you miss the flight, cannot travel due to illness, the ship's arrival at the last port is delayed, the cruise line cancels the entire cruise, etc. etc. the tickets are useless. If the tickets are booked through a cruise line you usually can't take the flights and enjoy a land vacation if the cruise is cancelled.

And, the trip insurance companies realize the risks. Most only reimburse airfare or travel disruption if the tickets are published-fare.

Archived