Dolphin Dive at Anthony Key Resort?

divinmule

Thought I would try this question here since there were not many replies in the scuba section.

So usually I always bypass the idea of interacting with the dolphins based on how poorly most of these animals are maintained and what has to occur to get many of these animals into their dog and pony shows. I figure that the time will come when I get to interact with these critters in their natural habitat.

But in reading up on AKR and their Dolphin program...I found myself intrigued. Certainly sounds like they are headed in the right direction with their program and actually breeding their own dolphins rather than relying on wild capture. I also like the idea that the dolpins are free to iteract or not based upon their desire that particular day.

So with that being said...I was thinking about booking the dolphin dive on our trip to Roatan in Feb. Wondering who has any experience with this dive? How did it go? Would you recommend it? I know its expensive...but I don't mind spending the extra dollars if it goes to support a well run dolphin program. (and yes I realize quite a bit goes to support Carnival too;))

We have dove Roatan before and loved it. Figured I wanted to go with the ship excursion this time either the two tank or the dolphin dive to see Anthony Key Resort.

Looking forward to your replies.

I don't dive but I did do a dolphin 'encounter' at AKR, and it was wonderful. The pens in which we interacted with the dolphins aren't true enclosed pens; in fact while we were in the water with the AKR dolphins, two non-AKR dolphins swam in. The caretakers told us to be still, don't interact with the strangers. The mother-and-child dolphins swam around us, then left to go back out in the ocean. It was just really nice at AKR to see the dolphins are there because they want to be there, as they could leave at any time if they so chose!

All the dolphins we saw were in great shape and the handlers seemed to deeply, genuinely care about them. I've avoided other dolphin excursions because I didn't want to see the animals penned up and know how they came to live there; AKR isn't like that at all. They did have the dolpins do a couple of goofy (yet thrilling to me) poses with each person so that they could sell us a photo CD, but the dolphins didn't seem to mind too much. :)

Sorry I can't help you with the scuba part of your question, but I would highly recommend AKR.

Haven't done the dolphin dive - yet ! But plan to next week while on our week long stay for Christmas.

The dolphin "encounter" is with dolphins in an enclosure.

The dolphin "dive" is with dolphins in the wild. You will be in the open ocean at about 60' on a sandy bottom. These are wild dolphins who come there to interact with us, which I think is very cool indeed. They know that divers come to this spot so they do too.

I have dove with manatees (Crystal River in Fla) Sharks, rays and done a dolphin encounter (enclosed pen) but I am really looking forward to this dive !!!

Side note: we did not stay at Anthonys Key but did visit briefly while there in July for a week. I was not impressed with the resort itself. OK - but thats about it.

Haven't done the dolphin dive - yet ! But plan to next week while on our week long stay for Christmas.

The dolphin "dive" is with dolphins in the wild. You will be in the open ocean at about 60' on a sandy bottom. These are wild dolphins who come there to interact with us, which I think is very cool indeed. They know that divers come to this spot so they do too.

I have dove with manatees (Crystal River in Fla) Sharks, rays and done a dolphin encounter (enclosed pen) but I am really looking forward to this dive !!!

Side note: we did not stay at Anthonys Key but did visit briefly while there in July for a week. I was not impressed with the resort itself. OK - but thats about it.

Hey, are you sure they are talking about Wild Dolphins on the dolphin dive? I was out on a dive both one day and I saw a AKR boat with dolphins following on its way out of AKR. The dive boat guys said it was the AKR dolphins going out for the dolphins dive. It may be possible one experiences both wild and the AKR dolphins.

I would be interested to know what you find out next week. :0)

Well, you know I went back and read the dive explanation again, and it does not say "wild" dolphins.

It says and I quote " Next, a five minute boat ride will take you to a beautiful reef wall where you'll descend to a white sand bottom at a depth of 60 feet, where two or three naturally curious dolphins arrive and are free to interact with you as they choose."

Never thought about them bringing some out in the ocean to interact with divers but I guess it might be.

I will let you know what we find out. We leave on Saturday and will do this dive one day next week - not sure which day yet as the woman I spoke with said to book it once we got on the island. We will be there a whole week so one days is as good as the next. We will be diving every day anyway.

Well, sorry can't report on the dolphin dive. We ended up doing the dolphin snorkel since 1) daughter can't dive and 2) everyone said the snorkel was much better. Said the dive you get 1 maybe 2 dolphins and with the snorkel we were just the 5 of us in with 20+ very playful dolphins :D It was really great. Will leave the dive for next trip (yes we will be back ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I did this excursion thru Princess last week and had a blast. The dive master was very good, I explained that I hadn't been diving in a long time and he made sure that the equipment was good to go, and that my comfort level was good on my skills during the check out dive. Dolphins were amazing, petting them at a depth of 55 feet was just incredible! Husband and I are now considering a dive vacation to Anthony's Key Resort! I would recommend this as a unique experience!

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering doing this dive, and it seems like they have several other dives.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to do a 2 tank dive in the morning, then do the dolphin dive early in the afternoon before heading back to the boat?

Would it be worth it just to book it direct instead of going through carnival?

Hi. I am looking in to this excursion for our cruise in December and have a few questions that will be major deciding factors on whether or not I do this. Are the dolphins in captivity or are they free to come and go as they please? I am very against captivity and do not want to give my money to something that supports it. Also, to the people who have been on the dive is it worth the money that it costs or am I better off going on a different dive? Thank you!

• 3 months later...

We will be arriving in Roatan in September and will be doing the discover diving class... I was curious if you suggest going with the cruise excursion to Anthony's Key Resort or go out on our own and use Coconut Tree Divers closer to West End... You statement of the resort itself was OK, makes me think we should go with CTD that I have read a ton of good reviews on...?

Archived