Reviews of Ft. Lauderdale Pre/Post Cruise

CruizenSuzen

We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th for a precruise stay. It was a very nice hotel at a very reasonable price. We paid about $65 dollars a night via Priceline. The hotel is situated across the street from a Walgreens, which is nice for last minute purchases of soda and items forgotten. It was about a $5 dollar cab ride or there was a shuttle for $4 per person. I will be staying here for all my pre-cruise stays in Ft. Lauderdale.

Unfortunately, the post-cruise stay was not as nice. Booked the Bahia Mar, also through priceline. The hotel advertises itself as on the beach, when in reality it has a walkway across A1A to the beach. The access is to a public beach, picnic area. On the weekend, this was pretty much family reunion central. Further, we were not able to check-in until well after 4pm, which didn't make for the most comfortable post-cruise stay. In all reality, we will probably book a same-day flight to go home.

Any questions?

Is it in a good area...such as bars restaurants or a beach...does it have a pool ? Thinking of the Ramada or Best western near the cruise port...

Both are BAD bets. Stick with the hotels on 17th Street if you can.

Is it in a good area...such as bars restaurants or a beach...does it have a pool ? Thinking of the Ramada or Best western near the cruise port...

Renaissance that the OP speaks of is in a GREAT area, lots of shops and restaurants nearby and it's safe... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Avoid both of the nasty old places you mentioned at all cost. As for location State Road 84 is a nasty, dangerous neighborhood. Both hotels are old and very tired, read the reviews here and elsewhere.

Hi:) there are plenty of restauarants within walking distance. In the same parking lot is Bravo (I have been there 3 times). It is Italian and I love it.:D Also Bimini Boatyard is in the same parking lot.

A bit further down is Kelly's. Across the street Is Carlos and Pepes (wonderful Mexican). A bit further is Outback. All the one's I just mentioned are within walking distance of the Reniassance.

We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th for a precruise stay. It was a very nice hotel at a very reasonable price. We paid about $65 dollars a night via Priceline. The hotel is situated across the street from a Walgreens, which is nice for last minute purchases of soda and items forgotten. It was about a $5 dollar cab ride or there was a shuttle for $4 per person. I will be staying here for all my pre-cruise stays in Ft. Lauderdale.

Unfortunately, the post-cruise stay was not as nice. Booked the Bahia Mar, also through priceline. The hotel advertises itself as on the beach, when in reality it has a walkway across A1A to the beach. The access is to a public beach, picnic area. On the weekend, this was pretty much family reunion central. Further, we were not able to check-in until well after 4pm, which didn't make for the most comfortable post-cruise stay. In all reality, we will probably book a same-day flight to go home.

Any questions?

Thanks for the advice but where are you getting this price from ? Im getting quoted like $ 300 a night..!!!!!!

You may wish to read the following websites regarding Priceline, Hotwire, etc...

http://www.betterbidding.com/

http://www.biddingfortravel.com/

(currently down due to a hacker attack)

http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

For Renaissance I believe you have to bid 4-star "downtown" Fort Lauderdale.

I guess I need to be in either downtown or the beach are of Fort Lauderdale to get close to the cruise port...is that true..sorry, Ive never been there before and the thought of priceline just charging my card without having a clue as to what I'm getting is kind of strange...any advice....?

Well Priceline isn't for everyone. If you're really picky about where you stay and what type of room you get you may want to just book directly, but there are some incredible deals to be had if you're willing to take a bit of a chance.

Yes, what Priceline calls the "downtown" area is the SE17th Street area that's closest to Port Everglades. That's a great area to be in as there are many shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. The "beach" area is the next closest, also "airport" is close, but the airport area isn't as convenient if you don't rent a car or want to spend what you save on taxis as most of those hotels don't have anything within walking distance.

IMO it's best to not bid on anything lower than 3-stars, personally I wouldn't go any lower than 4-stars, but I'm very picky ;)

Great..thanks for the advice..Im not much of a gambler and its only for 1 night...I was hoping to spend a few hours in the city checking out the beach etc. and then getting ready for the cruise so Im not too picky but if I could get a Sheraton type property for the same price as a Best Western than maybe I should try it...I'll have to think about it I guess....:>

Archived