Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

Dunedin would be a very interesting day. The plan was to take the Taieri Gorge Railway. Through our Meet & Mingle thread, Di & Tony had organized the entire shore excursion, starting with the transfer from Port Chamlers to the Dunedin railway station, the 6 hour railway ride, a short city tour and then back to the ship.

Our assembly point this morning was Di & Tony’s OS. This was the view from her balcony. That was the Taieri Gorge train booked by the ship. The ship's train pulls up right beside the wharf. So, that is one big advantage if you take the ship's train, especially if the passenger has limited mobility.

Needless to say, doing-it-ourselves would be a much less expensive option.

5js221.jpg

The assembly time was 8am and we got off the ship together as a group. I think there were 30 or so of us in Di’s group.

122yssx.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thank you for your fantastic review that we are all enjoying. We are on ViOS in March for the repositioning cruise which we are rounding off with a week in Singapore.

If you are looking at a South Pacific cruise, I can highly recommend Rhapsody - we had a brilliant time.

Keep up the reviews - they are very informative and good fun to read.

Cheers,

Nomes

Thank you for your fantastic review that we are all enjoying. We are on ViOS in March for the repositioning cruise which we are rounding off with a week in Singapore.

If you are looking at a South Pacific cruise, I can highly recommend Rhapsody - we had a brilliant time.

Keep up the reviews - they are very informative and good fun to read.

Cheers,

Nomes

Thanks for your note and welcome in advance to Singapore!

After we got off the ship, Di made a phone call to our pick-up. From what I observed, there should be no problem for passengers just walking off the ship and getting transport to and from Port Chamlers to the city or to visit other sites. There are tour companies touting their tours. Alternatively, you can also use the same transport company that Di used (I can’t remember the name, but it was a nice bus in green and the operators looked and sounded very experienced).

The bus ride from Port Chamlers to town is about 15 minutes and we covered a good distance. No way to walk that distance, so don’t even think about it. Our transport left at around 0845am and we reached Dunedin railway station at about 0900.

24b19j8.jpg

After getting our tickets (we had pre-purchased through the Taieri Gorge website, while Di had arranged the tickets for the other group members), there was a bit of time, and I took a very quick walk to the centre of town, called the Octagon. It is just up a straight road from across the Railway station, distance of 350m as seen in this photo.

w8mcde.jpg

This was our train, scheduled to depart at 0930hrs and scheduled to return to the station at 1530hrs. Train’s departure ended up being slightly delayed because of heavy train traffic that morning.

This was the website where we booked our tickets in advance - http://www.taieri.co.nz/

bdp2ci.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Our train tickets. The train was fairly old, but comfortable. The Taieri Gorge line is a private line, and it exists solely because of tourism. The bus driver cum guide mentioned that more than 80 cruise ships call at Dunedin each season. Assuming 2,500 pax, that would bring some 200,000 visitors a year to Dunedin which is a city of about 140,000!

My wife (who did all the research) told me that on days where 2 cruise ships call, there might not be any public trains running from the Dunedin railway station, simply because the cruise lines would have booked up all the available capacity. That day, only the Voyager was in port.

2rxk29u.jpg

This was to be a very scenic train ride. Along the way, there was good commentary (in English of course). This was a brief stop at Hindon station, to take photos and stretch the legs. In its heyday, Hindon was a town of 5,000 people!

2w4k6j9.jpg

The scenery was nice, but the best was yet to come.

x4kj7r.jpg

11am, we were at Hindon. The train stopped for about 10 minutes. The locals living in the area would know when the trains arrived. So they set up mobile shops at the now dis-used Hindon station. I figured the locals drove there. I didn’t check out the prices of the souvenirs being sold but I imagine it would be reasonably priced.

7304nk.jpg

At Hindon stop, a child patting a sheep.

2qjvrrb.jpg

By the time we wrapped up our quick lunch, there wasn’t much more time left. And it didn’t look like where was much to see, so we made our way slowly back to the train to more photos.

The train has a nice and relatively well-stocked food carriage and the prices were reasonable.

2z3o3rm.jpg

Some of the food and drink available.

2vak3k4.jpg