Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

I'm curious. Do any of the other Voyager class or Freedom class ships have an enclosed Solarium? Unfortunately, the biggest ship I've been on would be the Voyager of the Seas.

No, well sort of no. The Oasis class has a huge solarium in the front of the ship that is mostly glass enclosed, but has some open sections. I've never been in it during rain, but it gets pretty hot in there and no real pool. Voyager/Freedom class is my favorite Solariums. The solariums on Freedom are a little larger. I love the open sun area nice pool and no kids.

Day 5:15pm, Crown and Anchor welcome back party, held at Studio B.

This was the Captain addressing the party.

There were 700+ C&A members on board, of which 400+ were Gold.

There were just 3 Pinnacle Club members and 6 Diamond plus.

I can't remember the number of Diamonds but I think it was fewer than 30.

26 Emerald members.

100+

Studio B, with a capacity of 700+, was only about half full.

15n6clh.jpg

Do Gold C & A get invited to the welcome back as well?

I'm loving your review. I keep checking every few hours to see if you have posted anything new :-)

Question about milk for kids....do they have individual boxed milk for kids? My child drinks milk for breakfast as well as during the mid afternoon. Am I able to get milk in the afternoon? Thanks.

You should be able to order milk through room service if you can't find it elsewhere.

OP, I'm enjoying your review. Thanks for all the pictures. We love the VOS.

Edited by Agutaya

Do Gold C & A get invited to the welcome back as well?

Yes. Welcome Back party (held on cruises 7 nights or more) are for all C&A members, i.e. Gold and above.

Platinum and above get another party called the Top Tier party. On this cruise the Top Tier in the second week. Will post more on that when I get to the actual day.

Intersting that for our June cruise, the Welcome Back party was held at La Scala. Together with the usual talks, the cruise Director (Gordon) got a magician to do a short 10 minute performance then. This time round the party was at Studio B. We were entertained by the live band.

You should be able to order milk through room service if you can't find it elsewhere.

OP, I'm enjoying your review. Thanks for all the pictures. We love the VOS.

Glad that you are enjoying the review.

On the milk issue, that's correct! We ordered room service a few times and got cereal and milk. However, the milk did not come in individually boxed packets. They poured the milk into 2 glasses and covered them. The cereal were in small boxes though.

Day 6 - The Sounds!

This would be a magical day, geographically speaking!!

Time to marvel at the beauty of our planet Earth.

But before that, a quick bite. This photo was taken at 5:30am, Royal Promenade. Why so early? The Captain said that he would be picking up the pilot at about 6am. So I got up early, took a quick bite, put on the cold gear and headed to Deck 12.

4g2f87.jpg

Now, Windjammer cafe was scheduled to open at 6am that morning. So the plan was to stay on Deck 12 till WJ opened, grab a quick breakfast and come up again.

As it was getting cold, I thought of going back in to get some warmth after spending about 10 minutes at the deck, but hey, what was that in the distance?

2i704yw.jpg

A fishing boat? Wrong.

People kayaking in the morning? Wrong.

Now, the little boat was on a straight collision course with the massive Voyager of the Seas, coming at us at its top speed of 15 knots. The Voyager, being the big Daddy of the Milford Sound, ain't going to give way.

"Maintain course" yelled the Captain, ordering 18 knots, "we will get these blokes into the Sounds on time, or I am not your Captain!"

The First officer was just about to blast the ship horn, when the little boat veered hard to port.

A close miss, so they say.

aae0.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Have you ever wondered what would or could happen if the Voyager of the Seas were being pursued by these nasty pirates that we sometimes hear of, operating certain seas far away from New Zealand?

No doubt, the pirate boats would be faster and more nifty than the massive Voyager.

What could the Captain do to prevent boarding?

I am no expert, but I reckon if I were the Captain, on top of calling for SOS, I would go at full speed and execute extremely sharp turns in an unpredictable manner. You have to make it impossible for the pirates to get onboard.

In fact, if the chap comes too close, just ram that bugger.

2nup255.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

There would be no ramming today please.

In this instance, we were most happy to welcome onboard the local pilot to bring us into the Sounds!

In case you are wondering, no the ship does not stop for the pilot to come onboard. Rather, I think the ship will hold a steady course, at a rather high speed. The pilot craft will pull alongside. I think they open the gangway (not sure Deck 1 or 2) and the pilot literally has to take a leap of faith from his craft onto the Voyager.

This operation can be risky when the seas are rough.

642etf.jpg