Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

30j00v4.jpg

The adult-only Solarium, from Deck 12. Unfortunately, the Solarium isn't sheltered from the elements, unlike the Radiance class.

The Captain explained that the Voyager was designed for the Caribbean with sunshine all year round.

Hopefully, they will do something about this at the next dry dock.

Send her back to the Caribbean, that was my first solarium and I prefer it to the enclosed ones.

Thanks for the review! I was just telling DH that so many reviews are bad- people lose steam and don't finish them or just forget to share details that would matter to future travelers. Then I came upon yours and said to DH, this one will be good, ILC2s are always great! Looking forward to following along...we loved Australia, but won't have a chance to get back till the kids have flown the coop in a few years.

Thanks for the compliment!

I am also re-living my holiday as I go through the photos and do the review. :)

I have a family friend who I think was on this cruise. She passed away about 2 days or so before the end of the cruise. The family wasn't notified for about a day after she died. Apparently they couldn't make a phone call while out to sea.

My understanding is that she hit the call button in her stateroom and by the time crew members arrived at her room she was dead.

Did you hear anything about this?

Throughly enjoying your very detailed review going on the ship in 3 weeks toFiji and New Zealand. 1st time on RCCl

Its sad that another cruise member had some sad news regarding their friend on the same cruise my thoughts are with them .

Regards Zanny

I have a family friend who I think was on this cruise. She passed away about 2 days or so before the end of the cruise. The family wasn't notified for about a day after she died. Apparently they couldn't make a phone call while out to sea.

My understanding is that she hit the call button in her stateroom and by the time crew members arrived at her room she was dead.

Very sorry to hear of her passing. No, I didn't hear anything about this while on board. Then again, I don't think RCI would broadcast such events.

Throughly enjoying your very detailed review going on the ship in 3 weeks toFiji and New Zealand. 1st time on RCCl

Its sad that another cruise member had some sad news regarding their friend on the same cruise my thoughts are with them .

Regards Zanny

Glad that you are liking it so far. You will be on the Voyager too? Fiji sounds very interesting - which ports? If you could tell me the sailing date, I could check it out myself to satisfy my curiousity. :)

I'm curious. Do any of the other Voyager class or Freedom class ships have an enclosed Solarium? Unfortunately, the biggest ship I've been on would be the Voyager of the Seas.

The solariums are the same on all the Voyager Class ships. I guess you might say that the Freedom Class ships solarium is a combination of open and enclosed. When the Freedom Class was built some improvements were made over the Voyager Class by adding cantilevered hot tubs on each side of the solarium. The center area with the pool is open like on the Voyager but the sides are covered/enclosed where the hot tubs are.

Originally Posted by kinggartk

Very sorry to hear of her passing. No, I didn't hear anything about this while on board. Then again, I don't think RCI would broadcast such events.

We heard an alpha alpha alpha call (medical emergency on Royal Caribbean) for someone on Deck 7 in very early hours of the morning on the last day before arriving at Sydney (where a further day was spent). Heard later there was a fall from level 11 to level 4 but this description (call button) fits what we heard better.

The solariums are the same on all the Voyager Class ships. I guess you might say that the Freedom Class ships solarium is a combination of open and enclosed. When the Freedom Class was built some improvements were made over the Voyager Class by adding cantilevered hot tubs on each side of the solarium. The center area with the pool is open like on the Voyager but the sides are covered/enclosed where the hot tubs are.

I recall the hot tubs in the Solarium area on the Voyager of the Seas were also sheltered, even though the Solarium pool was in the open.

The hot tubs at the pool area were in the open though.

Hi. Iluvcruising2 we are going to Noumea and Lautoka then down to New Zealand Auckland, Wellington, and Taurunga. Departing Sydney Jan 13th 2013.

Regards Zanny

Wonderful! I would be most curious to learn more about Noumea and Lautoka.

Will your cruise be doing the Sounds too?

On our cruise, we visited Hobart, Dunedin, Wellington, Tauranga, Auckland and then back to Sydney.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

The end of Blowhole road (where the Doo-lishus truck was) looked like this, with a circle and some parking space. The coach on the right of this picture pulled in shortly after we arrived.

6ymcus.jpg

We didn't stay long, only about 10 minutes or so. I saw that there were some walking trails, but no time to visit them.

There is the famous Tasman Arch. It took about 8 minutes to drive here from the Doo-lishus truck.

2s7c4ev.jpg

I find it very useful to take photos of these exhibits, simply because I wouldn't have had the time to read them when we were there. So, I just read them on my computer! Now I know, the Tasman Arch is what's left of the rooft of a large sea cave.

2vj5tms.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

From the Tasman Arch lookout, we got to the Devil's Kitchen lookout in 5 minutes (at least according to the time stamp of my digital camera!)

We were walking briskly, but given that my kids are 6 and 7 (and no more than 115cm), I suppose any fit adult can walk faster than them.

dr8dxh.jpg

Looking at the Devil's Arch.

2hpnlh0.jpg

What can I say? An incredible natural wonder. Anyway, no photograph or video can capture the full glory of this. Go there to check it out for yourself! (By the way, the Hobart authorities didn't pay me to say this.)

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Unfortunately, the time was tight and we had a fairly long drive back to Hobart. Furthermore, the plan was to stop at the supermarket in Sorell to get some bottled water.

So we left the Devil's Arch about 3:20pm. By the time we got back to the car, it was about 3:25pm. Now it was time to head back to Hobart.

We made it to Sorell in good time and stopped at the Woolworths. Stocked up on bottled water and looked at some groceries just to get a sense of the prices. Also filled up the vehicle with Diesel, since I had to return the rental car with a full tank.

On the drive back to Hobart, we could see the ship as we approached the port.

2009rgg.jpg

ax1vsm.jpg

The time-stamp on the above picture was 5pm. Thankfully the roads into Hobart were very well sign-posted (remember I didn't have a GPS!). I managed to find my way back to the Thrifty Car Rental without any problems.

Check out the google maps of the area if you're not familiar. The Tasman Highway leading into Hobart becomes Davey Street, which is the main street just outside the port. Drive along and turn right into Argyle street, and the car rental return was there.

TIP: Fill up on fuel before you enter Hobart. Another alternative a bit closer to Hobart would be a green petrol station along the Tasman Highway, near the roundabout near the Hobart international airport. (Holyman Avenue)

Edited by Iluvcruising2

We reached Thrifty Car Rental at about 5:05pm. They closed at 5:30pm.

Their garage was still rather empty. I think we were one of the earlier ones to arrive back.

The car return was a breeze and we took a leisurely walk back to the ship.

This was the junction of Davey and Argyle.

spkm6u.jpg

Welcome back to the ship!

I am beginning to appreciate how useful the time stamp on the digital photographs are! Remember to set your camera time properly and you'd have great records, if you need them.

The time stamp of the picture taken at the cross junction of Argyle and Davey was 5:12pm.

The time stamp of the photo below was 5:28pm.

28t7txg.jpg

We were walking leisurely back to the ship (since we were carrying quite a number of bottles of bottled water!).