Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

Hobart would be quite a rush because we only arrive at 10am, with an all aboard time at 6:30pm.

For Australian and NZ ports, my view is that the ideal arrival time should be 7:30am or 8am, with a 6:30 or 7pm departure time. There is no need to depart late because many shops are closed by 5pm anyway.

im2ky9.jpg

We were just pulling into port. This is the view from our balcony.

2euptsh.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

It was a 5 to 7 minute brisk walk to the main road, Davey Street.

34u2t.jpg

1pjmdi.jpg

The picture above and below were taken back-to-back. In the above picture, I was facing the ship that we had just gotten off. In the below picture, I turned 180 deg to face the path that we had to take. This gives you a good idea of the distance.

2n7nvq0.jpg

I also found Google Maps to be very useful as part of our planning, to look at the route to walk as well as how to drive to our destinations. The driver needs to have a good sense of the directions and places of interest that you want to go.

We made a beeline for Thrifty Car Rental, which was at Argyle Street. We had to walk to the main street (Davey), turn left and keep walking till we reach the cross-junction of Arglyle and Davey. From the cross junction, I could see the Thrifty sign already. Closer to the car rental, I ran ahead while my wife brought the kids up in the rear.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thankfully I ran ahead. When I got there, there was a line with at least 3 groups in front of me. Shortly after I got there, at least another 5 groups formed behind me. Thrifty only had 2 counter staff and the process was painfully slow.

The bad news for us was that they ran out of GPS! We had pre-booked one, only to be told that they had issued all their GPSes for the day. This looked to be an extremely serious setback. However, thanks to our diligent trip planning and the fact that I had looked closely at google maps (street view) quite a number of times and even drove 'virtually' from Hobart to Port Arthur, we decided to just proceed!

Carpe Diem!

On the plus side, they upgraded our car. This was a rather new Ford Territory SUV, Diesel engine (thankfully I asked, otherwise I would have filled her up wrongly).

kf1umg.jpg

Coming from Singapore, I had never driven such a large car. It was a real treat!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

By the time we completed the paperwork, got the car seats (for my 2 kids) installed and set off, it was 11am.

We had no time to waste as our intention was to go to Port Arthur.

Thrifty closed at 5:30pm. So, even though all aboard time was 6:30pm, we had to target to return the car by 5pm thereabouts, to be safe.

Driving out of Hobart was a breeze and the scenery was beautiful.

2vv5sa1.jpg

15d5d6v.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I found the roads to be extremely well sign-posted.

But of course, it was still important to have a good sense of the directions of where we wanted to go, the names of the major roads or highways we were taking and the towns/cities that we may have to pass through.

In our case, I knew we had to pass through the town (or city?) of Sorell.

2yw64ub.jpg

This was taken about 25 minutes into the drive, as we drive up Gordon Street (A3) with a right turn into Cole Stree (A9 - Arthur Highway). Without Google maps, I wouldn't have known all this!

2up3gi0.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

According to Google Maps, the distance from the Thrifty Car Rental to Port Arthur Historic Site is 95.4km. All the accounts I have read said to budget 1.5 hours for the scenic drive. That is about right.

In our case, I got there in about 1hr 20minutes or so.

Upon arrival, we bought the Bronze Pass for the family. As the earlier available ferry ride was 1:40pm, we took a quick bite at the cafe before heading out to the grounds.

2z4lahx.jpg

What was most fascinating were the stories of the real people who were interned at this place.

2wrhy0p.jpg

2a8rblu.jpg

These were just kids!

Makes you think hard, doesn't it? Look at the type of 'crimes' they committed and the punishments they were given. No doubt, this is rather extreme, but we should also ask ourselves whether we have swung too far on the other side.

This is a good reminder for all. Sorry, if I sound like preaching, but isn't this verse very true?

287okm0.jpg

Anyway, the King Jame's Version of the Bible states this verse as follows:

"Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured."

My kids are 6 and 7 and thankfully well-behaved, at least most of the time.

Of course, we need to engage them by telling them stories and keeping them entertained during such field trips.

So, the story with Port Arthur was about visiting a jail that is no longer used. For some reason, my kids are intrigued with jails.

dfjb0h.jpg

I told them about the boys sent to Port Arthur for committing crimes that looked so trivial. And then we had to pose for this!!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I hope the world hasn't forgotten the Port Arthur massacre.

2crlkcy.jpg

More can be read here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

In particular,

"The Port Arthur massacre remains one of the deadliest shootings worldwide committed by a single person.[5] Gun control laws in Australia, which had been relatively lenient before the massacre, were reviewed and tightened significantly after the incident."

We left the Port Arthur historic tourist site at 2:30pm.

The reason for the rush was my plan to visit the Tasman Arch and Devil's kitchen. We quickly made our way back to Eaglehawk Neck for the turn-off into Blowhole road. It was a good 20 minute drive from the Port Arthur site to the turn-off.

Once into Blowhole road, we passed Doo town, just for laughs.

2w6w4cz.jpg

16ks2gn.jpg

This house was called Rum Doo.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

As we approached the end of Blowhole road (where the Doo-lishus truck would be), we passed this turn-off.

344e8gn.jpg

We would head to the Doo-lishus truck first which would be at the end of this road, before returning to this turn-off later on.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks for the review! I was just telling DH that so many reviews are bad- people lose steam and don't finish them or just forget to share details that would matter to future travelers. Then I came upon yours and said to DH, this one will be good, ILC2s are always great! Looking forward to following along...we loved Australia, but won't have a chance to get back till the kids have flown the coop in a few years.