table for two on Voyager

poss

This is one of the reasons we booked Radisson for our first cruise. Question: Is it difficult to get a table for two, or are they always readily available? (I.e. should one try to request in advance?) Also: How does the other thing work? I.e. on the occasions when we might want to join others, are there tables for 4 or 6 or 8 or what? Do they just wait until the table is "full" and then begin service? Do they try to "match" people in any way? Is there usually a wait at the dining room? (I simply cannot imagine serving 700 passengers-- or, in fact, being on a ship with 700 people. Wish we could afford Seabourn...)

Different question: what time do shows usually begin? Is there always plenty of good seating? We turn in early (9:30-10), so I assume we'll miss the evening entertainment? (doesn't especially bother us)

Thanks!

Hi Poss,

It is never difficult to get a table for 2. They have open seating dining in the Compass Rose and Veranda restaurants - you simply turn up when you want during dinner hours and they will seat you. If you wish to meet some new friends just tell the maitre d and he will seat you at a table with others who have expressed the same desire. You can ask to be seated with just another couple or at a larger table. When we meet people during the day and decide to dine together, we generally just arrange to meet them in one of the lounges or the atrium and we all walk into dinner together. The only time I have ever seen a wait for dinner is on the night of the Captain's cocktail party when everyone is together - we generally avoid the problem by waiting until 8PM to go into the dining room or eating in one of the smaller venues.

I know you can ask for a table for 2 in Signatures, I don't remember the seating in Latitudes but I believe there are also tables for 2 available there. It's best to ask at the time you make your reservation for Signatures.

They are not serving 700 passengers all at once in one restaurant as there are four restaurants on board and room service is always available too.

The shows generally start around 9:30 or 9:45.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. We've been on six cruises with Radisson and each one has been fantastic.

Mary Ellen

Poss,

We never had a difficult time getting a table for two at Compass Rose, or in joining other groups. The maitre d'hotel did a fantastic job in placing us with other people in a timely manner, and the waiters were great in the timing of appetizers, salads, first courses etc, so that everyone seemed to be eating something at the same time. At all of our dinners in Compass Rose, it never seemed to be crowded, so you will never ever see 700 people at one time, believe me. Many people will be at La Verandah, or Signatures, Latitudes, in their suites, or eating at very different times. The service in Compass Rose was very attentive, and in our one experience at Signatures we were pretty much pampered from beginning to end.

Regarding the entertainment, although most shows start at 9:45, on our most recent Voyager cruise there was a pre-dinner show that was virtually identical to one of the after dinner shows (our theme was "Spotlight on Sinatra with the Cary Richards Band and they were great). Perhaps they will have that pre dinner option on your cruise as well.

Hope this helps. I am a big fan of Radisson and Voyager in particular.

Cathy:)

Thanks very much for both replies-- definitely helpful.

Now I've got another problem, one which may actually cause us to cancel our long-awaited cruise (in honor of my husband's 75th birthday and our 35th anniversary). I've read on another post that there's some sort of virus on board the Voyager. Our cruise isn't until July 16, but I wonder if things would be absolutely "clean" by then. We're not youngsters; I don't want to have to worry about keeling over from a virus. Obviously, one can become sick anywhere, anytime. But if there's a known problem somewhere, it seems awfully foolish to proceed to that place. I suppose we'd be losing a great deal of money, but health issues are more important. By the way, I don't understand how a ship can continue taking on passengers when there's a virus aboard. ????

We disembarked the Voyager on 12 May,and there was no hint of a virus.

It should be mentioned that every time one boards one is required to wash one's hands with the antiseptic wash located before the check-in desk.

Presumably,this is a precaution against the spread of the Norovirus.

poss-keep in mind while reading posts that some folks who are reporting events either 1) get their facts wrong or 2) get confused about ships' names. For example, Royal Caribbean ("RCI") has ships with the words "Mariner" and "Voyager" in their names. And Radisson ("RSSC") has ships named the "Mariner" and "Voyager".

Poss, I was on the same cruise as English Voyager. (Hi Terry! Where ya been?) There was not a hint of any illness problems onboard, and I have never heard of a viral outbreak on board an RSSC ship.

You are probably referring to the various rumors that are continually circulating about Norovirus on cruise ships. Cruiseyguy is right about the ship name confusion -- there have been numerous reports, many of which were very exaggerated, of Norovirus outbreaks on Royal Caribbean ships, so it would be easy to confuse "RCCL Voyager" with "RSSC Voyager."

In any case, you should know that Norovirus is an extremely common gastrointestinal virus that is prevalent anywhere that people congregate, including cruise ships, but is no more common on cruise ships than any other crowded environment. The issue is that cruise ships are required to report all confirmed cases on Norovirus, so you hear more about it on ships than other places. In reality, the incidence of Norovirus is in fact extremely low...certainly in most cases it's less than 1% of the passengers, and if the incidences rise over 2%, the ships are required to go through some sort of special disinfection process. Cruise lines are required to maintain sanitation standards that far exceed similar venues on land, so you are probably more protected from illness on a cruise ship than you are otherwise!

Keep in mind that a certain percentage of the passengers are going to come onboard with some illness, or may pick up an illness in a port. But you are at no more risk on a ship than you are at other times in your life when you are encountering strangers. How many times have you had the "stomach flu"? Any number of those may have been Norovirus or similar viruses.

The best defense against getting sick on a cruise ship (or anywhere else for that matter) is to wash your hands frequently, and keep your hands away from your eyes and mouth. As Terry mentioned, there are antiseptic hand-washing dispensers at the gangplank when you board, and upon entry to the restaurants, so you should make use of them.

Have a great cruise!

LeeAnne

Thank you for setting me straight about the sameness of names on the two companies. I believe you are absolutely right-- that it was the "other" Voyager that experienced those problems. I'm embarrassed that I didn't know the difference, and I thank you for correcting me in a kindly manner. I remember a couple of years ago (or was it many many years ago-- time goes by so fast) when there was a rather serious outbreak of that virus on quite a number of ships--so much so I believe that some cruises were, in fact, cancelled; and bookings were certainly down. I hope for everyone's sake that whatever happened recently was contained and short-lived.

Thanks again for the info!

Poss, where in the world are you hearing all these things to make you so nervous? I know people who just disembarked last week....no mention or hint of ANY virus. NOT TO WORRY YOUR PRETTY HEAD OFF!

As for tables for 2.....we were on the Voyager for almost 4 months and I assure you, there will be no trouble getting a table for 2. Most nights we did sit with 4, 6 or even 8 just because we enjoyed the socializing but about once a week my husband and I would opt for a "romantic date night" with a Table for 2. It was never a problem no matter which of the restaurants we ate it. I do hope you open your options to include dining with others some nights as well as having your intimate "date nights" for 2. Both are memorable!

Your cruise is getting near....I hope you have a great time!

Archived