If we liked Explorer, will we like Enchantment?

Hi Mark! We were on the the same sailing on Enchantment. I noticed quite a few Canadian accents on board, but didn't realize there were so many to have your own special party. :D

So glad you and your family had a great time! We sailed with our daughter for the first time and had a great time, too. The ship looks really great! Sailed her 14 years ago and she has aged very well after the stretch.

After sailing larger ships like Voyager and Liberty, we were REALLY surprised at how almost every single crew member was so fantastic (not our experience on Voyager or Liberty). Yes, we had a little ambassador with us that led to more smiles and attention than we're ever used to, but it was more than that. They're really doing something right on that ship, so I'm very sad she's leaving my home town! :(

Hi Mark! We were on the the same sailing on Enchantment. I noticed quite a few Canadian accents on board, but didn't realize there were so many to have your own special party. :D

I forget the exact number they quoted at the invitation party, but I think it was 470-something IIRC. They did mention that it was an all time record for Enchantment, hence the party. It was a fun recognition, some free drinks and snacks and a great Canadian Flag cake that the galley baked up for us.

After sailing larger ships like Voyager and Liberty, we were REALLY surprised at how almost every single crew member was so fantastic (not our experience on Voyager or Liberty)

We noticed a few grumps amongst the staff, but it was very limited, and certainly outweighed by the number of most excellent staff. We experienced a lot worse (from the perspective of grumpy staff) on both Allure and Explorer, so like I said, all in all no complaints.

RCI could really benefit from a "mystery shopper" type setup on their ships to help evaluate their frontline staff a little more. I wouldn't say that there was ANY who were so miserable on Enchantment that it would have irked any passengers, but there was on Explorer for sure, and perhaps a few on Allure.

Did Boleros have steps/stairs? Was karaoke held there? Where was Quest held?

I only passed through Boleros and never spent any time there whatsoever. I do seem to remember (but I could certainly be wrong) that there was some raised areas, but certainly nothing that you *needed* to use if mobility was an issue.

And yes I do seem to remember hearing Karaoke held there. ;)

What'd everyone think if the cruise director?

It appears you had the same experience we did - our favorite ships are the Mariner and Freedom, so I was hesitant to book the Enchantment that first time. Fortunately we leave Monday for our 3rd straight sailing on her. Have heard too many discouraging stories about Grandeur to book her at this point.

Did you have the Blair duo for CD/Activites? Not a big fan.

I'm going to be doing a LOT of following of stories from Grandeur after she moves before deciding on sailing on her, or going back to Explorer from Bayonne. I've read a few concerning things as well, even post refit...but I'm hoping they're addressed and become non issues.

Yes, we had the Blair duo for CD/AM. I was similarly unimpressed.

I'm going to be doing a LOT of following of stories from Grandeur after she moves before deciding on sailing on her, or going back to Explorer from Bayonne. I've read a few concerning things as well, even post refit...but I'm hoping they're addressed and become non issues.

Yes, we had the Blair duo for CD/AM. I was similarly unimpressed.

I thought he was a good host for Love & Marriage, but I thought she was very odd every time I saw her - including in the WJ. I couldn't watch the Enchantment Live show ever because her voice bothered me.

I only passed through Boleros and never spent any time there whatsoever. I do seem to remember (but I could certainly be wrong) that there was some raised areas, but certainly nothing that you *needed* to use if mobility was an issue.

And yes I do seem to remember hearing Karaoke held there. ;)

My brother really enjoys participating at karaoke, but is in a wheelchair. On the Monarch, karaoke is held in Boleros, but there are steps which lead down into the floor where the karaoke is set up. The CD said there was no where else to set it up in Boleros and would not hold it anywhere else, so he didn't get to participate at all. We want to book Enchantment, but want to make certain there won't be the same issue. Has anyone seen the karaoke set up on Enchantment--would there be steps or raised areas to prevent someone in a wheelchair from participating?

Thanks Papaflamingo, all thoughts appreciated here, even from your perspective.

There are only two sea days on either side of the 4 ports of call to work with, so even on a smaller ship with less features I don't see that being a huge issue.

On the flipside though, on on last sailing on Explorer (we just got off a few days ago) we had 4 full sea days and it was nice, but we DID appreciate the entertainment/venue lineup after the first few days.

The motion issues concern me I think more than anything. We sailed through a Nor'Easter returning on Explorer (Unlucky fluke, but a reality) and it was pretty bumpy. We fared well, but it certainly reduced our enjoyment for a few days, and there was a LOT of sick people. I'm guessing the chance of being beaten around for several days is less on Enchantment because of the shorter distance N/S between Baltimore (Vs. Bayonne/NYC for Explorer), as well as the reality that a good portion of such is somewhat inland/sheltered once you reach Norfolk.

We were on Grandeur (Enchantment size) when Huricane Katrina was coming through, we had to slow down & skip Port Canaveral. That was the only time I've been woozy on a ship & I get motion sick at the drop of a hat. We were on Explorer during a N'easter type storm, the motion almost felt different. It was almost like we were moving side to side because of the wind instead of the typical up & down. There were seasick bags all over attached to the stair handrails. My dh was sick but I was fine. I think the Explorers size makes it more susceptible to catching the wind and rocking.

I thought he was a good host for Love & Marriage, but I thought she was very odd every time I saw her - including in the WJ. I couldn't watch the Enchantment Live show ever because her voice bothered me.

They just booth seemed incredibly "artificial" to me. I can't come up with any better explanation or wording, but everything seemed scripted, bland, and pretty much as if they were just "going through the paces".

Yeah, they've been at it for about 30 years IIRC and they probably ARE on autopilot 99% of the time now, but perhaps it's time to call it a career as it sure seemed to me that their hearts were not in it anymore.

My favorite cruise director of all time was Richard Spacey on Explorer last April - not sure where he is now but we LOVED every minute of him.

We were on Grandeur (Enchantment size) when Huricane Katrina was coming through, we had to slow down & skip Port Canaveral. That was the only time I've been woozy on a ship & I get motion sick at the drop of a hat. We were on Explorer during a N'easter type storm, the motion almost felt different.

Ships are effected very differently based on the combination of sea and wind conditions, not necessarilly always size and design.

On Enchantment we "corkscrewed" for the first few days headed south - the ship would pitch, then roll, then pitch and roll the opposite direction. Sitting in the VCL it was very evident if you watched the bow on the horizon. We experienced the same on Allure.

Later in the cruise the wind was head on one day and we had a forward and back pitch with NO roll. When I was on the bridge I noticed that they only had 1 stabilizer out that day, actually...Captain Shawn explained extensively how the winds and sea conditions effected the ship - it was very interesting.

I really enjoyed Captain McDuff - very personable and he actually stopped to take the time to talk to me on a few occasions, actually seeking me out in the Centrum one day to say a few words after I had been on the bridge earlier. I'm an extremely inquisitive type of guy who notices all the things nobody else notices (and I asked him about a few, much to his enjoyment it seemed) and he seemed to take great pride in answering my questions - I actually stumped him on one and got my answer at the Captains Corner event a few days later..

It really depends on so many factors. We really didn't find Enchantment any better or worse than any of the other ships we've sailed on really.

I think you said it perfectly. To me there's nothing exciting or entertaining about them, nothing to draw people in.

Our all time favorite is Graham Seymour, but after our last sailing on Enchantment, Luke Aerowsmith is a close second. I think he's got a similar style as Graham with out the rough edges. Will miss him on this sailing! Hard to believe I'll be on the ship in 4 days! Woohoo!

They just booth seemed incredibly "artificial" to me. I can't come up with any better explanation or wording, but everything seemed scripted, bland, and pretty much as if they were just "going through the paces".

Yeah, they've been at it for about 30 years IIRC and they probably ARE on autopilot 99% of the time now, but perhaps it's time to call it a career as it sure seemed to me that their hearts were not in it anymore.

My favorite cruise director of all time was Richard Spacey on Explorer last April - not sure where he is now but we LOVED every minute of him.

Archived