Ten Awesome Days on Vision OTS! ~A Pictorial Review~

DarthGrady

Day 2: @ Sea

After a long week at work we both needed some good sleep. We got it and then some. By the time we awoke it was nearly 11 am. I spent time in the Viking Crown Lounge reading Hunter Thompson. The weather had turned nasty, so poolside relaxation was out of the question. For some unknown reason the pool in the Solarium was drained and roped off.

We stopped by the main dining room for lunch. Anyone that's been cruising a while knows to avoid the buffet on sea days. Royal Caribbean does a great lunch in the main dining room with an excellent full-service salad bar.

After lunch we made our way up to the ship's fitness center. It takes up two levels at the back end of the ship. The spa below and the gymnasium/aerobics area above. I found the facilities a bit small, but adequate.

We attended the Cruise Critic pub crawl later in the afternoon. We had lots of fun occupying the various drinking establishments around the ship. I didn't win (congrats Brenda), but we met some great folks in the process.

This was the first formal evening and I was surprised to see how many dressed up for it. The dinner in the main dining room was very good, the filet of beef was tender and delicious. I was glad to see escargots back on the menu as well.

Later that night I stopped into the library, which becomes the cigar lounge after 9. With its low slung leather couches and pleasantly low lighting, it was a great place to enjoy a stogie. Much better than the windy open deck offered on the Allure of the Seas. Unfortunately cigar lounges are fast becoming relics of the past as more and more Americans choose to kill themselves with other vices instead of tobacco. I found it amusing when folks stuck their head into the lounge each night and recoiled in horror upon the discovery of people smoking. Apparently the “Cigar Aficionados” sign outside the door and listing in the Compass wasn’t enough notification.

232323232%7Ffp43866%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D376%3A%3C36%3B%3C6326nu0mrj

Day 3: Still @ Sea

Our second sea day started around noonish, with a trip to the gym. We followed it up with lunch in the dining room. Later we attended the Cruise Critic slot pull, although we were only spectators. The rest of the afternoon was spent reading out on the boat deck; a calm place blessedly free of the ever present Christmas and calypso (or the dreaded Calypso-Christmas) music.

We stopped into the Crown and Anchor reception before dinner, and then the Diamond Lounge for post-dinner libations. I finished the night in the cigar lounge with a nice glass of tawny port, a good stogie and interesting conversation.

There is a Diamond Lounge on the Vision ? , Is there also a Concierge Lounge ?

No CL or DL on Vision until after the refit this fall.

Do you know they are refering to when they talk about the Diamond Lounge and not tiping everytime they got a drink and tipping the staff at the end of the cruise ???????

Day 2: @ Sea

After a long week at work we both needed some good sleep. We got it and then some. By the time we awoke it was nearly 11 am. I spent time in the Viking Crown Lounge reading Hunter Thompson. The weather had turned nasty, so poolside relaxation was out of the question. For some unknown reason the pool in the Solarium was drained and roped off.

We stopped by the main dining room for lunch. Anyone that's been cruising a while knows to avoid the buffet on sea days. Royal Caribbean does a great lunch in the main dining room with an excellent full-service salad bar.

After lunch we made our way up to the ship's fitness center. It takes up two levels at the back end of the ship. The spa below and the gymnasium/aerobics area above. I found the facilities a bit small, but adequate.

We attended the Cruise Critic pub crawl later in the afternoon. We had lots of fun occupying the various drinking establishments around the ship. I didn't win (congrats Brenda), but we met some great folks in the process.

This was the first formal evening and I was surprised to see how many dressed up for it. The dinner in the main dining room was very good, the filet of beef was tender and delicious. I was glad to see escargots back on the menu as well.

Later that night I stopped into the library, which becomes the cigar lounge after 9. With its low slung leather couches and pleasantly low lighting, it was a great place to enjoy a stogie. Much better than the windy open deck offered on the Allure of the Seas. Unfortunately cigar lounges are fast becoming relics of the past as more and more Americans choose to kill themselves with other vices instead of tobacco. I found it amusing when folks stuck their head into the lounge each night and recoiled in horror upon the discovery of people smoking. Apparently the “Cigar Aficionados” sign outside the door and listing in the Compass wasn’t enough notification.

232323232%7Ffp43866%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D376%3A%3C36%3B%3C6326nu0mrj

Day 3: Still @ Sea

Our second sea day started around noonish, with a trip to the gym. We followed it up with lunch in the dining room. Later we attended the Cruise Critic slot pull, although we were only spectators. The rest of the afternoon was spent reading out on the boat deck; a calm place blessedly free of the ever present Christmas and calypso (or the dreaded Calypso-Christmas) music.

We stopped into the Crown and Anchor reception before dinner, and then the Diamond Lounge for post-dinner libations. I finished the night in the cigar lounge with a nice glass of tawny port, a good stogie and interesting conversation.

What is the Diamond Lounge you are talking about in your post for "post dinner libations" ?????????????????

What is the Diamond Lounge you are talking about in your post for "post dinner libations" ?????????????????

To clarify, Vision does not have an official Diamond Lounge. They have a "Diamond Event" up in the Viking Crown Lounge each night from 5-830.

To clarify, Vision does not have an official Diamond Lounge. They have a "Diamond Event" up in the Viking Crown Lounge each night from 5-830.

Where drinks are discounted not free , corrrect ?

Thank you for your very detailed review, I loved all the photos. We are sailing on Vision later this year and we are so excited. I did have a few questions:

You mentioned the "Latte Tudes" has free coffee does that include the pastries I also saw in the pictures? Also What time does Latte Tuedes open in the morning?

In one of your photos you showed the shower/sauna/steam room, do they have a Unisex sauna/steam room or are they inside the men's and woman's private shower area?

Thank you again

Hi Lisa:

I was on the same cruise with you.......we viited in Dominica and another day in the stairwell. Missed you in the VCL at the Diamond Event.

Glad to meet you, maybe we'll be on another cruise someday.

sincerely,

Anita (former RCCL)

Great photographs, and review!

My husband and I were on the same cruise with you, our cabin was also inside on deck 4; we saw your door's christmas decorations with the stockings! LOL

Beautiful photos, I made a note of what type of camera you used, we're in the market for a DSLR.

Thanks again!

Anita

Wine, champagne and sodas are free. Beer and mixed drinks are given a 25% discount.

Thank you , thats what I thought. We will be on the Vision 4/2/13 for the 15 night Panama Canel cruise from San Diego to Fortlauderdale. We booked this over a year ago.

Thank you for your very detailed review, I loved all the photos. We are sailing on Vision later this year and we are so excited. I did have a few questions:

You mentioned the "Latte Tudes" has free coffee does that include the pastries I also saw in the pictures? Also What time does Latte Tuedes open in the morning?

In one of your photos you showed the shower/sauna/steam room, do they have a Unisex sauna/steam room or are they inside the men's and woman's private shower area?

Thank you again

Deck 6 houses most of the ship's entertainment venues. Forward is the upper level of the main theater. Mid-ship is the shopping area, photo gallery, art gallery, and Lattetudes coffee bar (for-fee).

The Lattetudes cafe has the fancy (Starbucks style) coffees which have a surcharge. I don't drink coffee, so I don't know if they have any that is free.

The cookies are free, or at least they have been on other ships. We didn't get any on the Vision. I'm not sure if the other pastries have a fee.

There aren't any unisex steam/sauna rooms. The steam/sauna rooms are in the mens and womens shower rooms in the Spa.

Thanks, I've been reading a lot of online photo blogs trying to improve my shots.

The majority was shot with a Nikon D60, I got it about a month ago from a friend who was upgrading. It's my first DSLR, I'm really liking it.

I was mostly using the 18-55mm VR lens that came with it. I have a 55-200mm Tele that I rarely use only because I hate carrying extra stuff. So I think I'll be getting rid of both in favor of the 18-200mm VR, it's pricey, but it would be nice to only have one lens to deal with.

A few were with my Panasonic ZS10, I carry it in my pocket in the evenings when the big camera would look silly.

I own a Panasonic ZS6. Those are great little point and shoot cameras. Sometimes DH has a hard time telling my photos from his, when he's using his DSLR. (He taught me well....LOL) Before he purchased the Nikon D600, he was using a Fuji FinePix S2 Pro. Can you say heavy and slow? He is most anxious to take the new Nikon D600 on a cruise. It came with a nice 24-85 mm lens, which he probably will use most of the time. Good luck with future cruises and photo opts. You are doing a splendid job!!!!!!!

What wonderful memories the photo of the piano in the Schooner Bar brings back. We sailed to Alaska on the Vision in 2001 and 1999. On one of those cruises the piano player found out that I could sing. He got me a microphone and I became the entertainment. I do not cruise any longer, but it's so nice to think back on my 44 wonderful trips and realize how lucky I was.

Thank you so much for posting such great pictures. We will be on the vos in may and also in October....will be looking forward to sailing on it!

Hi Maria! :) Great to see you posting. Can't believe a whole year has passed since we cruised together last year.

Great Job! I am enjoying these photos also. We are travelling on the Vision in a month from now.

What wonderful memories the photo of the piano in the Schooner Bar brings back. We sailed to Alaska on the Vision in 2001 and 1999. On one of those cruises the piano player found out that I could sing. He got me a microphone and I became the entertainment. I do not cruise any longer, but it's so nice to think back on my 44 wonderful trips and realize how lucky I was.

Those are some good memories, I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

Not sure if you need to make a purchase or not, can someone verify this?

I know the cookies are free and don't require a purchase. They are the same ones served in the Promenade Cafe on the the bigger ships. I'm not sure about the pastries though.

We just discovered this thread, today.

Thanks for the outstanding pictures and commentary !!!!!!!!

We sail with Vision, for the first time, on February 4 for a B2B -- (21) days that we're looking forward to !!!!!!!!!!!

I must admit that we were somewhat concerned about Vision's age/condition and relatively small size, but your excellent reporting has allayed our concern.

We're celebrating our 45th Anniversary on this voyage and we'll also achieve Diamond+ during Leg 2, so we're looking forward to an outstanding cruise.

We just discovered this thread, today.

Thanks for the outstanding pictures and commentary !!!!!!!!

We sail with Vision, for the first time, on February 4 for a B2B -- (21) days that we're looking forward to !!!!!!!!!!!

I must admit that we were somewhat concerned about Vision's age/condition and relatively small size, but your excellent reporting has allayed our concern.

We're celebrating our 45th Anniversary on this voyage and we'll also achieve Diamond+ during Leg 2, so we're looking forward to an outstanding cruise.

RONMAR- We have a pretty long M&M thread going for the first half of your B2B. Welcome to join in! :)

Last page... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36637459#post36637459