Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Enjoy and everyone have a wonderful day while you think of me at work saving lives and playing with needles. :D

I had to tell you that I thought of you today! (Well, I have been hooked to your reviews all week, so why wouldn't I think of you? You're like my new best friend! :D) Took my 7 year old to Walmart to find a suit that won't discolor in our local lakes. :eek: I had her trying them on and I PLOPPED right down to help her! Lol

Your review reminds me so much of my honeymoon on the Dawn in 2004. I do remember being in Spinnaker looking out the windows before we set sail out of NYC. I just asked my husband what the drink was called that I had in there! I had to lol no way would HE remember :eek: but, it had a great name! Lol I'll have to look in my scrapbook! What else is different on Dawn? I know you haven't sailed on her... I don't remember water slides at the pool. I thought that setup was good for kids and their parents (the bottom of the slide being right next to the bottom of the steps, easy to sit and watch your child. The Getaway wasn't like that, was it? Maybe the open slide in the middle? That's the only one my kids would go on by themselves. (I'm sorry! Too much about Breakaway class ships and we're here for the Star!)

I can't believe they would only let Sakari slide down the side that she climbed up! Weird! Lol

That's crazy about the beds! I guess it was easier for him to make the beds that way? But if you kept moving it....take a hint! Lol

And the theater! OMG!!! SOOO big! Why can't the new ships be like that with more shows!? We will definitely miss that when we sail on Breakaway! And the lounge seemed like there were so many seats...didn't seem like you'd have the same crowding issues that Breakaway class have. What's up with that!? I also LOVE the sun deck! But I've already commented on that!

YES! I loved the grand atrium with the glass elevators! I miss them while just viewing pictures of the Breakaway! I know I will love my cruise but for our next cruise, I'm considering a cruise on a smaller ship! Less $$$!!!! Maybe I could be like you going more often!

It's fun for me to see you and Gambee sharing tips! I LOVED his reviews! And I'd love to share my experience of the Breakaway Haven when I get back. I would think the review is also a great keepsake of your vacation and also a great way to share your vacation with friends and family....much better than just having them look at your photo album.

Edited by English101

I had to tell you that I thought of you today! (Well, I have been hooked to your reviews all week, so why wouldn't I think of you? You're like my new best friend! ) Took my 7 year old to Walmart to find a suit that won't discolor in our local lakes. I had her trying them on and I PLOPPED right down to help her! Lol

It looks like I have everyone plopping down. :D I do it everywhere...even sometimes when I'm shopping (like shoe shopping and my size is on the bottom row). :p

Your review reminds me so much of my honeymoon on the Dawn in 2004. I do remember being in Spinnaker looking out the windows before we set sail out of NYC. I just asked my husband what the drink was called that I had in there! I had to lol no way would HE remember :eek: but, it had a great name! Lol I'll have to look in my scrapbook! What else is different on Dawn? I know you haven't sailed on her... I don't remember water slides at the pool.

Hmm, I guess I didn't realize that the Dawn didn't have any slides at the pool area (which really isn't a big deal for me because I really don't care for the "older" ship slides...but the NEWER slides, well they are awesome). I do know that they have the kiddie pool in the back. I remember seeing it when we were in port with the Dawn before. The Star had the space ship theme and the Dawn had a dinosaur theme. Sakari will love that. She is a dinosaur freak and can actually name the different types. She has a collection...which is actually an ENTIRE TOTE of dinosaurs in every shape, size and form (thanks to her big sissy from Christmas 2 years ago).

I thought that setup was good for kids and their parents (the bottom of the slide being right next to the bottom of the steps, easy to sit and watch your child. The Getaway wasn't like that, was it?

The slides on the Getaway...well, there was one that ended up by the pool (it was the "medium slide"), but it's actually beside the pool area behind the glass wall. You could sit on the edge that goes all the way around the pool area, but there wasn't any chairs. Some people had pulled some chairs up in front of that area to sit, but there's not much room.

The huge 2 slides end up on a different deck and facing the opposite direction in an enclosed area. It was really weird.

The big 2 slides that drop, they end up facing a different direction as well.

Maybe the open slide in the middle? That's the only one my kids would go on by themselves. (I'm sorry! Too much about Breakaway class ships and we're here for the Star!)

I can't believe they would only let Sakari slide down the side that she climbed up! Weird! Lol

That's crazy about the beds! I guess it was easier for him to make the beds that way? But if you kept moving it....take a hint! Lol

And the theater! OMG!!! SOOO big! Why can't the new ships be like that with more shows!? We will definitely miss that when we sail on Breakaway! And the lounge seemed like there were so many seats...didn't seem like you'd have the same crowding issues that Breakaway class have. What's up with that!? I also LOVE the sun deck! But I've already commented on that!

I have to say that I absolutely love the Carnival ships theaters. They are very comfy and long bench seating with tables in front of you to put things on and easy to get around people and down the isle. I really wish NCL would catch on to this concept.

I have to say that since I have booked the Sun for our next cruise, I stalked some pictures of it and noticed that the theater has individual "chair" seating with the tables in front of them. I'm really going to like this. I believe the Sky is similar to this as well (which we have booked directly after we get off the Sun).

YES! I loved the grand atrium with the glass elevators! I miss them while just viewing pictures of the Breakaway! I know I will love my cruise but for our next cruise, I'm considering a cruise on a smaller ship! Less $$$!!!! Maybe I could be like you going more often!

I know that's how I felt after going on the Getaway. It was just an "odd" trip for us which included many factors. But, I'll be glad to go back and try a smaller ship again just to see what my thoughts are on them now. Although I still love the big ships and absolutely loved the Epic and the Dream.

It's fun for me to see you and Gambee sharing tips! I LOVED his reviews! And I'd love to share my experience of the Breakaway Haven when I get back. �� I would think the review is also a great keepsake of your vacation and also a great way to share your vacation with friends and family....much better than just having them look at your photo album.

Oh gosh yes, I get a kick out of Gambee and his mom. I love reading his reviews. He's a hoot. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate it and glad you enjoyed the review.

Oh gosh yes, I get a kick out of Gambee and his mom. I love reading his reviews. He's a hoot. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments. I really appreciate it and glad you enjoyed the review.

I love reading the whole story in both of your reviews (yours and Gambee's). Not just a little about the ship but DETAIL (dusty shelves!) about everything and also your personal experience.

I woke up and checked out my honeymoon scrapbook. No, I couldn't find the name of that drink! Lol I'm determined to figure it out! I can't believe how few details I have about that cruise! I mean, it WAS my honeymoon but still.....I wish i had the same as your review! Oh well. It is what it is.

I have a pic of the pool and no slide. I don't remember the dinosaur area. (I DO think there was at least a kiddie pool, just not with much of a theme and probably more parent seating!) Maybe because we didn't have kids but I honestly don't think it was there back then. Maybe that was added when they cut up Spinnaker?

Edited by English101

I love reading the whole story in both of your reviews (yours and Gambee's). Not just a little about the ship but DETAIL (dusty shelves!) about everything and also your personal experience.

I woke up and checked out my honeymoon scrapbook. No, I couldn't find the name of that drink! Lol I'm determined to figure it out! I can't believe how few details I have about that cruise! I mean, it WAS my honeymoon but still.....I wish i had the same as your review! Oh well. It is what it is.

I have a pic of the pool and no slide. I don't remember the dinosaur area. (I DO think there was at least a kiddie pool, just not with much of a theme and probably more parent seating!) Maybe because we didn't have kids but I honestly don't think it was there back then. Maybe that was added when they cut up Spinnaker?

I do get into details don't I? LOL While I love sailing with NCL and it's my main cruise line, I definitely don't sugar coat anything I see. I always tell it the way we experienced it, good or bad (but then again, I really can't see any cruise being "bad" in my book).

The dinosaur kiddie pool area that I'm talking about is on the very back of the ship and looks like this:

600x400-norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

Pool-Area-3-7.jpg

JPG320_Kreuzfahrtschiff-NORWEGIAN-DAWN-2002_2005-10-09_9911_T-Rex-Kids-Pool.jpg

Really hard to miss the huge colorful dinosaurs....oh wait, you were on your honeymoon :eek: that explains why you probably missed them. hehe :p No, I'm just kidding. I really don't know when they might have added it, so it might have not been there back in 2004. :D

I am going to leave you tonight with my little creation that I made that day for everyone back home...in the cold, some with snow...this one's for you. :p :D

Meet Sandy the sandwoman:

PC190633-L.jpg

As Fergie always says "my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps"

This SOOO makes me think of FROZEN! Lol I know this is from over 2 years ago though.

They also come armed with dish soap to rinse out your goggles before going in. What a nice touch.

Cruise critic is great on so many levels! My daughters just tried dish soap in their goggles and are amazed at how clear their goggles are! Amazing! Thanks for sharing that! Lol

Cruise critic is great on so many levels! My daughters just tried dish soap in their goggles and are amazed at how clear their goggles are! Amazing! Thanks for sharing that! Lol

LOL, glad I could help. If you are ever out snorkeling and have a problem...you can always spit in them too. As disgusting as it sounds, it works. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I might as well touch base on the crapes while I’m still in the buffet area. With each cruise, it seems to decline in “offerings”. Yes, a tear just rolled down my cheek right now. I got hooked on these on the Epic and their selection was “to die for”. They had so many different types of fillings and a lot of different toppings. YUM! The Spirit didn’t have as much from what I can remember and the guy that made them was hilarious (and new) and had to start over several different times but was a good sport about it. The Pearl, well I discovered you could ask for different things (and they also had a “stash” below of things like banana’s and so on). Well that brings us to the Star. Next to nothing to choose from. I think there was 4 different fillings and 2 toppings-chocolate (yuck) and the “to die for” cream they have. So, I actually only had 2 this cruise. It just didn’t really taste the same to me as the others. While we’re talking about the to die for cream…what is that stuff anyhow? Is it normal whipped topping and they add a pound of sugar to it? I have never been able to find anything that tasted anywhere close to that stuff. I LOVE IT…it just makes me shiver thinking about it. I would put it on my French toast and just moan and groan with excitement when I ate it (ask my husband, he’ll tell you)

Heavy cream, add sugar, over medium heat, stir until boiling, lower heat, add Drambuie to taste. Heaven!! I also add just a smidge of my crepe batter to help it thicken.

Edited by Skippingaroundtheglobe
Seems it did not quote properly!

Heavy cream, add sugar, over medium heat, stir until boiling, lower heat, add Drambuie to taste. Heaven!! I also add just a smidge of my crepe batter to help it thicken.

I admit, I had no clue what Drambuie is (and had never even heard of it) and according to what it says online, it has aged scotch whiskey in it? Is that right? Or are you pulling my leg? :confused: Or is this just your recipe?

Thank you for such a wonder review! We are booking the star for summer 2015!

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy your Star cruise. :)

I admit, I had no clue what Drambuie is (and had never even heard of it) and according to what it says online, it has aged scotch whiskey in it? Is that right? Or are you pulling my leg? :confused: Or is this just your recipe?

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy your Star cruise. :)

It does, but it is sweet. It is a liqueur....and the recipe is a copy of a cream sauce from a brunch I had at a hotel once. Even my kids love it! It has become a Christmas breakfast tradition!

It does, but it is sweet. It is a liqueur....and the recipe is a copy of a cream sauce from a brunch I had at a hotel once. Even my kids love it! It has become a Christmas breakfast tradition!

So you're not saying this is the actual recipe that NCL makes for their whipped topping right?

Our day in Roatan cost us (pulling out my bag of folders sitting under my desk waiting for me to install them in a scrap book)...um, $59 for an adult and $49 for a child. Which I think that is a heck of a deal for everything it came with (food and transportation plus all of the amenities).

First, I am in love with your reviews. I'm almost done reading all of them, but the pictures are awesome!!! Even when you say that they are blurry or whatnot, they look amazing to me.

We are going on the Dawn from NOLA to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize (not in that order) in December and I am trying to get an idea of things to do.

Do you know if you could rent snorkeling equipment there? I know you brought your own, but DH and I do not own any, and I don't think we will be buying them anytime soon.

PS: Fellow RN here!

PSS: Go blue!:)

First, I am in love with your reviews. I'm almost done reading all of them, but the pictures are awesome!!! Even when you say that they are blurry or whatnot, they look amazing to me.

We are going on the Dawn from NOLA to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize (not in that order) in December and I am trying to get an idea of things to do.

Do you know if you could rent snorkeling equipment there? I know you brought your own, but DH and I do not own any, and I don't think we will be buying them anytime soon.

PS: Fellow RN here!

PSS: Go blue!:)

Thanks so much for the compliments. Glad you are enjoying them.

Yes, you can rent snorkeling equipment here. I can't tell you any more about it though since we have our own. You can rent snorkeling equipment just about anywhere in the Caribbean that has great snorkeling. You better believe that there's a vendor somewhere there that will rent to make money. :D

Great review and I loved your pictures. I haven't sail on NCL yet, but its on my list of ships to try out.

I just brought a Olympus TG 830, for my June vacation and just like you I had to figure out the setting while taking pics. I haven't tried it in the water yet.

Great review and I loved your pictures. I haven't sail on NCL yet, but its on my list of ships to try out.

I just brought a Olympus TG 830, for my June vacation and just like you I had to figure out the setting while taking pics. I haven't tried it in the water yet.

Glad you enjoyed the review.

I love my Olympus, but I haven't really sat down yet to see what all my new 830 will do. I know it seems to have a few different settings than the 630 and everything is located in different areas. I probably should do that before my next vacation. :D

• 8 months later...

Hi - Just wanted to thank you for the review! Like all your reviews they have all the great pictures and it a fun read. I know it's a few years old, but we recently decided to book a family suite on the Star for next spring break and the first thing I did was look to see if you had a review.

Hope your first year's forays into nursing are continuing to treat you well..happy nurses week!

Hi - Just wanted to thank you for the review! Like all your reviews they have all the great pictures and it a fun read. I know it's a few years old, but we recently decided to book a family suite on the Star for next spring break and the first thing I did was look to see if you had a review.

Hope your first year's forays into nursing are continuing to treat you well..happy nurses week!

Hi. Sorry I just found that you had replied to this thread. I didn't get a notification on it for some reason and just ran across it while reading the boards.

Glad you enjoyed the thread. :) I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Star. We will be on the Dawn (her sister ship and very similar) in 26 days and can't wait.

My first year of nursing has had it's ups and downs but I'm loving it. I found an awesome job and loving my patients and the care I'm able to provide to them. Thanks for the "Happy Nurses Week". I really appreciate it. :)

Have a great time in Bermuda! And hopefully you will have some time in Boston before leaving, such a great city. If you have time for nothing else, the freedom trail is something every American should do at least once.

I know you are a beach person, but st George is a wonderful historic town to spend a couple of hours in. We made it on one of the first ferries and checked out the perfumery, a small museum, a church, and caught a free tour of the town and the "dunking" show in a few hours. The buildings are so pretty. You should love the snorkeling in Bermuda, we saw tons of beautiful fish off of horseshoe beach. :D

We had a trip planned on the Dawn for last spring break, we had to cancel because I'd finally managed to wrestle my first nursing job into submission..but the catch was that I couldn't take any vacation during the 90 day probation. So we have a redo planned on the star for next April!

Best wishes for a wonderful trip!!

Have a great time in Bermuda! And hopefully you will have some time in Boston before leaving, such a great city. If you have time for nothing else, the freedom trail is something every American should do at least once.

I know you are a beach person, but st George is a wonderful historic town to spend a couple of hours in. We made it on one of the first ferries and checked out the perfumery, a small museum, a church, and caught a free tour of the town and the "dunking" show in a few hours. The buildings are so pretty. You should love the snorkeling in Bermuda, we saw tons of beautiful fish off of horseshoe beach. :D

We had a trip planned on the Dawn for last spring break, we had to cancel because I'd finally managed to wrestle my first nursing job into submission..but the catch was that I couldn't take any vacation during the 90 day probation. So we have a redo planned on the star for next April!

Best wishes for a wonderful trip!!

I'm not really sure yet what are post-cruise plans are. I have a feeling we (hubby, daughter and myself) will probably just be flying back home the day of the cruise.

I definitely want to see the pretty buildings...on my way to the beach of course. :p I planned on stopping by the unfinished church, but we really wouldn't be interested in the dunkings or the shows that they put on. I have 0% interest in anything like that. It's just not my thing.

Sorry to hear about your cancellation, but happy to hear about the new job. Congrats and hope things are going well. :)

I'm not really sure yet what are post-cruise plans are. I have a feeling we (hubby, daughter and myself) will probably just be flying back home the day of the cruise.

I definitely want to see the pretty buildings...on my way to the beach of course. :p I planned on stopping by the unfinished church, but we really wouldn't be interested in the dunkings or the shows that they put on. I have 0% interest in anything like that. It's just not my thing.

Sorry to hear about your cancellation, but happy to hear about the new job. Congrats and hope things are going well. :)

That's the best thing about Bermuda—there is something for everyone. If you want history, it has it. If you want beaches, it has them!

If you take the ferry to St. George, it's about a 10-15 minute walk to Tobacco Bay, and you will walk right past the Unfinished Church. You couldn't go in the last time we were there, but you can definitely walk around it and look inside.

The walk is uphill but very scenic. You could also take a cab to Tobacco Bay and then walk back past the church to St. George (it'll be downhill that way).

One neat thing to see, if you're in Hamilton, is Fort Hamilton. It's tucked away off a side street, but it's really cool—nature has taken the fort back over, and it's like a rainforest in the moat, with great views of the city from up top. Worth a visit, and free!

I may have told you this before, but I would do Horseshoe Bay on your first day, before the Royal Carribean ship gets in on Monday. Then, I would do Tobacco Bay on Monday, once the ferries are running to St. George (on Sundays they run to Hamilton, but not St. George).

Can't wait to read your review when you get back!

Thanks again for the info.

They do have a new shuttle bus service for just the St George area and I just may have to utilize this and hit up several places there.

Is the Fort on the way to/from (walking) Tobacco Bay? Or do you have to go off in a different direction to get to it?

• 5 months later...

Love reading your reviews. We are headed to Belize on the Star in a few weeks, and I was wondering how long of a trip was it to Bannister Island (star island). We are definetly beach people, but we are having a difficult time with this port. Thanks for your help.

Love reading your reviews. We are headed to Belize on the Star in a few weeks, and I was wondering how long of a trip was it to Bannister Island (star island). We are definetly beach people, but we are having a difficult time with this port. Thanks for your help.

This thread is years old. Don't bump threads this old...

6&8

Thank you.

The ride to Bannister (which is now called Starfish Island I believe) took about 30 minutes. It wasn't a bad ride at all (I thought).

If you research this island and find that it's not for you, also check into Goffs Cay or Rendezvous Cay. They are very very small islands, but people love them and their beauty. One of them has decent snorkeling too. :)

If you want to get real adventurous (outside of the beach), check out Shark Ray Alley. AMAZING experience!!! :D