Sharks?!

joeangel

We snorkel at nearly every port stop if the weather and water clarity permits. In 13 cruises I still have my first shark to see, Barracudas and morey eels, yes. Sharks, no.

I want to go to Stuarts Cove just to see sharks.

We snorkel at nearly every port stop if the weather and water clarity permits. In 13 cruises I still have my first shark to see, Barracudas and morey eels, yes. Sharks, no.

I want to go to Stuarts Cove just to see sharks.

We did Stuarts Cove and the Powerboat Adventures in Nassau. If you snorkel, Powerboat Adventures seemed to be better. If you dive, I would go with SC.

About the worse that would happen is that a shark would "taste" you to see if are prey. Unfortunately, their "taste" is a big bite to us. I've dived with sharks all over French Polynesia and in Nassau. Have had no problems whatsoever and I get very close to them to take pictures.

Usually there isn't much to see at HMC, but I was there in March, there was a mackeral run and a huge bunch of barracuda came in after them. Again, I was right in their faces, and had no problems. I think that "shiny" story is highly overrated. I always wear sparkly earrings when I dive and have been face to face with barracuda on numerous occasions. Never had a problem with any of them wanting to check me out.

The "shiny thing " has alot to do with water clarity also. I've had to cover my old aquarius regulator to keep some huge ones away in low @6' visibility water. No problem in clear water.

About the worse that would happen is that a shark would "taste" you to see if are prey. Unfortunately, their "taste" is a big bite to us. I've dived with sharks all over French Polynesia and in Nassau. Have had no problems whatsoever and I get very close to them to take pictures.

Usually there isn't much to see at HMC, but I was there in March, there was a mackeral run and a huge bunch of barracuda came in after them. Again, I was right in their faces, and had no problems. I think that "shiny" story is highly overrated. I always wear sparkly earrings when I dive and have been face to face with barracuda on numerous occasions. Never had a problem with any of them wanting to check me out.

The "shiny " stuff is not overrated it has more to do with water clarity ...low vis they really rush in at it.Most of my 2000+ dives have been in 10 feet or less vis. I used to put my hand over my shiny circa 70's reg to keep them off.

The "shiny " stuff is not overrated it has more to do with water clarity ...low vis they really rush in at it.Most of my 2000+ dives have been in 10 feet or less vis. I used to put my hand over my shiny circa 70's reg to keep them off.

That sounds like no fun at all.

I've encountered barracuda in both low and good visibility. Have seen no differences in their behavior to date.

We went snorkeling in Grand Turk near the wall with a private excursion. We saw a school of Barracudas at about 30 feet down, all pointing in the same direction, except for 1 or 2. There must have been about 40-50 of them. Our guides said they were sleeping and the ones that were moving around were the "look-outs".

I've always been nervous around Barracudas, since we lived in Bermuda and I was "tasted" by one as it swam up against me -- I was 9 at the time. But the sight of all of them waaaaaaaay underneath me at the surface was awesome!

I went snorkeling in Nassau and saw a sting ray and a barracuda. I was on the look out for sharks but didn't see any.

However, after watching Shark Week this past year, I'm not sure I would go again! Almost every show features a portion in Nassau with some big a$$ sharks! :eek:

Archived