New here :)

Kierste

Just wanted to say hi! I'll be searching thru the forums. I am a bit of an over planner when it comes to vacations... And am thinking of doing our 1st cruise in December 2015. It would be dh, dd (11 at cruise time) and my mom who be turning 69 that year.

I think I have things narrowed down, and would like a southern carribean cruise... On the ncl pearl.... And would like to go the middle week of December... Out of hurricane season I hope, and before the Christmas price mark ups. Oh and we'd book 2 rooms, as I can't I imagine sharing such a small space with my mom for more than a day or two!

Random questions I have... Is milk free? Dd drinks a lot of milk. How much is a soda? I am used to true all inclusive resorts where I don't have to worry about what I drink. We are not big drinkers... One or two a day on vacation usually. But a soda with lunch is nice too.

Pros and cons of room placement? I want to book the mini suites with a balcony to give us more room. Is it better to be on a higher deck? Mid ship? Or are there cons to that too? I like a quiet room, mom will need easy access to elevators as stairs aren't her friend.

Palapas at the pool... Are the chair hogs really bad on these cruises and are there plenty of covered areas out by the pool for sea days so we don't fry?

Tia... I'm off to over research some more!

Welsome to CC! I haven't experienced chair hogging on my two NCL cruises. We never had a difficult time finding a chair either in the sun or shade depending on our preference at the moment although other people have posted that. Milk is served at breakfast but I'm not sure about lunch/dinner. Soda's are around $2.50 but you can get a soda card that is around $6.50 (might be slightly higher) a day if you drink several per day. Mid-ship is better for motion control and a slightly lower deck if you get sea sick easily. I prefer the highest deck possible and either an aft cabin or very front cabin. I do get seasick but take precautions (Bonine) and haven't had any problems. Others will chime in with answers. Stick around here a lot and you will learn tons. I know I did before my first cruise.

[quote name='Kierste']Just wanted to say hi! I'll be searching thru the forums. I am a bit of an over planner when it comes to vacations... And am thinking of doing our 1st cruise in December 2015. It would be dh, dd (11 at cruise time) and my mom who be turning 69 that year.

I think I have things narrowed down, and would like a southern carribean cruise... On the ncl pearl.... And would like to go the middle week of December... Out of hurricane season I hope, and before the Christmas price mark ups. Oh and we'd book 2 rooms, as I can't I imagine sharing such a small space with my mom for more than a day or two!

Random questions I have... Is milk free? Dd drinks a lot of milk. How much is a soda? I am used to true all inclusive resorts where I don't have to worry about what I drink. We are not big drinkers... One or two a day on vacation usually. But a soda with lunch is nice too.

Pros and cons of room placement? I want to book the mini suites with a balcony to give us more room. Is it better to be on a higher deck? Mid ship? Or are there cons to that too? I like a quiet room, mom will need easy access to elevators as stairs aren't her friend.

Palapas at the pool... Are the chair hogs really bad on these cruises and are there plenty of covered areas out by the pool for sea days so we don't fry?

Tia... I'm off to over research some more![/QUOTE]

I don't have all the answers for you and yes, your certainly do like to plan ahead, but 3 years: wow!!!

milk is free at breakfast and on the kids buffet,I am not sure otherwise, so someone else will have to answer that for you and 3 years from now she may not drink as much as she does now. As for soda, the same, we are not soda drinkers, you may want to think about buying a soda card...

I think 2 cabins, one for you and hubby and one for grandma and Dd would be perfect. The mid ship usually is a smoother sailing and you do not hear the anchors and the motors nearly as much...Some people love being high, but it is a little rockier. As for hubby and I, we really could care less about how high up: the upper decks are pricier. We sorta like being a little closer to the activities.

Yes,the chair hogs are as bad as you hear they are, but there isn't much you can do and all lines have the same problem. There are plenty of shady spots on deck.

Just one more thing: you are picking a really good time, even the 1st week of Dec is a good choice, and the So Caribbean is my favorite or all the itineraries.

nita

I can't answer your questions, but I would suggest keeping an eye open on suites for the 4 of you, which may comparable to 2 individual cabins.
For example, for mid December 2014 on the Pearl, 4 people in a 2 bedroom suite would be $6400. Meanwhile, 2 balconies would be $3200 for the balcony with 3 people, and then $2600 for your mom. So $6400 for a big suite (2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, living room and with lots of great suite perks), versus $5800 for 2 small balcony cabins.
2 mini-suites would cost even more -- for 2 mid-ship mini-suites, you'd be talking about approximately $7000. I know I'd much rather have 1 big real suite for $6400, instead of 2 mini suites for $7000. Take a look at the room layouts, and the suite perks.

[quote name='havoc315']I can't answer your questions, but I would suggest keeping an eye open on suites for the 4 of you, which may comparable to 2 individual cabins.
For example, for mid December 2014 on the Pearl, 4 people in a 2 bedroom suite would be $6400. Meanwhile, 2 balconies would be $3200 for the balcony with 3 people, and then $2600 for your mom. So $6400 for a big suite (2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, living room and with lots of great suite perks), versus $5800 for 2 small balcony cabins.
2 mini-suites would cost even more -- for 2 mid-ship mini-suites, you'd be talking about approximately $7000. I know I'd much rather have 1 big real suite for $6400, instead of 2 mini suites for $7000. Take a look at the room layouts, and the suite perks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this... I did look at those, but then mom has to be in the children's bedroom and that just isn't going to work. If they had a real bed in there and not a sofa and/or Murphy bed maybe. :)

Thanks everyone... Keeps the tips coming if you have them...

I am very curious about the milk... Dd is almost 9 now and still drinks lots of milk every day and hates soda... So other than water, milk is the only thing she drinks (not a juice fan either.)

[quote name='Kierste']Thanks for this... I did look at those, but then mom has to be in the children's bedroom and that just isn't going to work. If they had a real bed in there and not a sofa and/or Murphy bed maybe. :)[/QUOTE]

It's actually a fairly comfortable bed when made up. Truthfully, it's not all that inferior to the "regular" beds in the regular rooms. And you can even stick your son in the living room, so everyone has a place to sleep to themselves. Effectively 3 rooms for 4 people, instead of 2 rooms for 4 people.
Before you rule it out, check out photos and youtube video of the 2bedroom suites... or splurge for about $7900 -- still not that much more than 2 mini-suites, and get a Haven 2bedroom. For the Haven 2 bedroom, you might find the overall experience so luxurious, that you are willing to give your mother the master bedroom, and take the "kids room" for you and your husband!

Since NCL doesn't have the schedule out for December 2015 yet, don't be disappointed if the Pearl's itinerary changes between now and then.

You may want to consider either the Dawn or the Star - they both have Family Suites on deck 12. These cabins are huge and sleep 5-6 people. The sofa is a bed and they also have a Murphy bed (for mom). While most of them don't have balconies, they do have huge windows. Think 4 picture windows. They are one big room but the beds are separated by heavy curtains. When we booked our suite, American Express had an offer for $500 in on board credits which made the added expense much more reasonable. The current AmEx offer is $300 OBC and that's subject to change.

Here are two photos of a SJ Family Suite.

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/432296_4933118975792_394986159_n.jpg[/IMG]SJ,

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/47299_4933119055794_1807610399_n.jpg[/IMG]

You have plenty of time to research. Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Never had a problem getting milk for my son. If I don't see any out on the buffet line, I ask someone for a couple of cartons. Sometimes we also fill a glass at the buffet with the milk dispensers located near the coffee machines. You can also take cartons back to your cabin and keep in the mini fridge. Also, you can order through room service.

[quote name='OceanDreaming2']Since NCL doesn't have the schedule out for December 2015 yet, don't be disappointed if the Pearl's itinerary changes between now and then.

You may want to consider either the Dawn or the Star - they both have Family Suites on deck 12. These cabins are huge and sleep 5-6 people. The sofa is a bed and they also have a Murphy bed (for mom). While most of them don't have balconies, they do have huge windows. Think 4 picture windows. They are one big room but the beds are separated by heavy curtains. When we booked our suite, American Express had an offer for $500 in on board credits which made the added expense much more reasonable. The current AmEx offer is $300 OBC and that's subject to change.

Here are two photos of a SJ Family Suite.

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/432296_4933118975792_394986159_n.jpg[/IMG]SJ,

[IMG]https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/47299_4933119055794_1807610399_n.jpg[/IMG]

You have plenty of time to research. Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)[/QUOTE]

Great pictures, Mary!

Few personal thoughts about choosing a mini suite:

- All mini suites are on deck 11, only thing to worry about is the location on that deck.

- Mid ship is best location for both movement and getting around conviniently.

- Avoid cabins under noisy locations like gym or sun deck. We were once in MA straight under the sun deck and were kept awake by late steel drum parties on few nights and later by the sounds of cleaning crew dragging tables and chairs around at wee hours.

- Cabin location in between of elevator lobbies is usually most quiet as there is least traffic.

Milk is available at no charge all day long - I have always been able to get it in the MDRs - and the buffets have the milk dispensers available all day. I have often gotten a glass of milk with some cookies for a snack before going to bed!

No worries about not getting enough milk!

Welcome to CC - and have fun planning for your cruise!

Yay on the milk!

Another question for you guys... How do you know (in advance of booking) if the ports are docked at or tendered?? In my reading, it sounds like tendering is a pita. If it helps, the cruises I am looking at go to: aruba, curacao, st Lucia, st kitts, and st Thomas.

[quote name='Kierste']Yay on the milk!

Another question for you guys... How do you know (in advance of booking) if the ports are docked at or tendered?? In my reading, it sounds like tendering is a pita. If it helps, the cruises I am looking at go to: aruba, curacao, st Lucia, st kitts, and st Thomas.[/QUOTE]

None of your ports are tender ports. You will just dock and walk off the ship.

[quote name='Kierste']Thanks for this... I did look at those, but then mom has to be in the children's bedroom and that just isn't going to work. If they had a real bed in there and not a sofa and/or Murphy bed maybe. :)[/QUOTE]

My daughter and I had the two-bedroom suite and I had the "children's" room. I am 67 and I loved the bedroom. The bed was great the room was dark for wonderful sleeping. The butler made up the bed the first day I left it that way the whole trip. I loved having my own bath, but then I had the living room, dining area, balcony was well as the Haven pool, Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, etc. I would do it again and take the children's bedroom in a heartbeat!!

Regarding milk....my husband usually takes a coupled cartons from the buffet in the morning and keeps them in the mini-fridge in the room in case he wants one during the day. If, however you are eating lunch in the buffet or a restaurant, I'm sure you could request it.

Archived