Transportation to Port Canaveral

sirk25

We are taking a FOS cruise out of Port Canaveral in late February and will be flying into Orlando late the night before. There are 6 of us including my 3 year old son travelling from Canada and averaging about 13 hours to get to Orlando, so it makes for a long day before we even get there. I am looking for some advice, suggestions or ideas for a hotel that we don't have to travel so far to get to and what kind of transportation to the Port the next day. I have talked to RCCL and they have quoted me over $800 for 2 rooms, nights pre and post cruise and transportation to the port. This does not include transportation to the hotel (over an hour away) from the airport. I don't really feel like having to drive that far after travelling all day already and with a toddler to boot.

Maybe the best idea is to get a hotel close to the airport that has shuttle service and then return to the airport the next day to get on the RCCL supplied transfer from the airport to Port Canaveral. Any thoughts or idea's on what would be best from some of the vetern cruisers here? I am sure I am not the only one that has been in a situation like this.

thank you in advance

Since you have a thirteen hour trip from your home to Orlando I would first rent a vehicle at MCO. After you have the vehicle find a hotel that is relatively close to the airport and spend the night there. Because there are six of you, you most likely will need two rooms. On the morning of the cruise check out of the hotel, grab breakfast and then make the short one hour trip to Port Canaveral. The Beachline Expressway is just north of Orlando International Airport and there are a total of four toll plazas between Orlando and Port Canaveral. Upon arrival at Port Canaveral you drive directly to the pier and drop off the luggage and the family members. From there it's a short five minute ride on A1A (Astronaut Blvd) in Cape Canaveral where you drop off the rental vehicle. After returning the vehicle you hop on the free shuttle which will return you to Port Canaveral. The whole process should take you less than two hours. Without a doubt you will save money doing this process. Most hotels near Orlando International should cost you less than seventy five dollars per room. A mini van or passenger van for the mimimum twenty four hour period should be less than one hundred dollars. At the end of the cruise you just repeat the process by getting on the free shuttle and returning to the rental location to pick up your vehicle. Drive back to Orlando and return the rental vehicle at the airport. Budget, Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise have locations in Cape Canaveral that are extremely close to Port Canaveral. If you decide to use Budget Car rental, use discount code #BCD-Y937800 for a great rate. You should save at least twenty percent on the rental. In August 2012 my cousin and his family of six originally rented two vehicles for the trip between Orlando and Port Canaveral. A customer service representative from Budget advised him to rent a full size passenger van and he saved by having everyone in one vehicle. The Budget employee did advise him that there is normally a limited supply of passenger vans available so you really have to reserve that type of vehicle if you want to rent one. The only problem he had was at the conclusion of the cruise. Cruise passengers disembarking on the Carnival Dream were cutting the lines so instead of taking the free shuttle back to the Budget rental location he grabbed a cab for the trip back. His time was limited because some of his family had a afternoon flight back to New Jersey. I was on the same trip with him and waited over an hour for an empty shuttle beacuse I was in no rush and was going to spend an additional two weeks in South Florida at my condo.

Maybe the best idea is to get a hotel close to the airport that has shuttle service and then return to the airport the next day to get on the RCCL supplied transfer from the airport to Port Canaveral. Any thoughts or idea's on what would be best from some of the vetern cruisers here? I am sure I am not the only one that has been in a situation like this.

thank you in advance

This is the route we took. I rented a small compact car and stayed at the Hyatt Place right near the airport. We had dinner at downtown disney as there is a restaurant we really like there but there are a few restaurants within walking distance of the Hyatt Place hotel. The next morning we returned the rental and hopped on the cruise shuttle to take us to Port Canaveral. I booked both the hotel and the car via Priceline.com. I picked the hotel and just paid for it and then I bid on the car.

If you are planning to just hang out at the hotel then skip the rental as I believe they have a shuttle from the airport (call first). Also to avoid any hassles with RCCL, we gave them different flight numbers so that they would think we were arriving the morning of our cruise rather than the day before.

After a long day of travel I second the idea of staying at a hotel near the airport and either renting a vehicle to go to the port or use a shuttle service from the airport hotel. I have used Cocoa Beach Shuttle multiple times. They picked me up right at my hotel and took me to the ship.

There are quite a few hotels located near the airport and most of them have a complimentary shutttle van to take you from the airport to the hottel.

One other option is to stay at the Haytt Hotel that is actually in the Orlando Airport terminal. Just get off your plane and walk right into the hotel.

After a long day of travel I second the idea of staying at a hotel near the airport and either renting a vehicle to go to the port or use a shuttle service from the airport hotel. I have used Cocoa Beach Shuttle multiple times. They picked me up right at my hotel and took me to the ship.

There are quite a few hotels located near the airport and most of them have a complimentary shutttle van to take you from the airport to the hottel.

One other option is to stay at the Haytt Hotel that is actually in the Orlando Airport terminal. Just get off your plane and walk right into the hotel.

That sounds perfect. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about. A hotel close by the airport and then finding a shuttle to the port. Kinda wanna stay away from renting a car and a hassle etc with having enough room for 6 people + luggage and a toddler that may need a car seat. I don't mind spending money but don't want to be gouged if there is a more economical way that suites all my needs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

That sounds perfect. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking about. A hotel close by the airport and then finding a shuttle to the port. Kinda wanna stay away from renting a car and a hassle etc with having enough room for 6 people + luggage and a toddler that may need a car seat. I don't mind spending money but don't want to be gouged if there is a more economical way that suites all my needs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hi. Just make a reservation in advance with Cocoa Beach Shuttle for the number of people you need plus car seats as I think they may provide them(not 100% sure on that). Usually these shuttle companies tow a trailer which is where your luggage will go. Make sure they know what hotel to pick you up at and you will be on your way. My last time down there I came in on an evening flight and stayed at the Hyatt in the airport terminal (you just cannot beat coming off a plane and walking into the hotel). Cocoa Beach Shuttle was right on time at 10:00am to pick me up.

We normally have a 10 hour flight from the UK to Orlando, we get a hire car and its an easy 45 minute drive to Port Canaveral. We stay at the Radisson Resort at the Port and they have a free shuttle that drops you at the cruise terminal the next morning ( and pick you up on your return).

We were in Orlando last week and saw an ad in the airport for The Radisson Resort at the Port and the ad seemed to imply that they would send a shuttle to collect you from the airport. I'd suggest sending them an email and asking them. It costs nothing to ask! You should easily find their website.

Thank you all for your help and taking the time to reply. I have everything worked out now that will be the best for us. Managed to arranged transportation from MCO to hotel and then from the to the Port on RCCL shuttle. Gonna be a great time and so excited. I can't wait til end of February for our cruise to start.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk.

On our cruise out of PC (Carnival Glory, I think), we flew into Orlando, rented a car, drove to PC, stayed in the Comfort Inn/Suites, dropped of the car in the morning, and took the rental agency shuttle to the port. We picked a rental on the way back, dropping it off at MCO for our flight. We're looking at the Dream for June, and this time it'll be a group of us instead of just two. We're looking at flying into MCO, staying at a hotel near the airport for the night, and hopping on the cruise lines shuttle in the am.

• 2 months later...

Just a little over two weeks ago, I went on a cruise that left from Port Canaveral too! I'm from Maine, pretty close to Canada (Presque Isle). We flew down the day before and stayed at the hotel called 'Sleep Inn & Suites Airport' on McCoy Road. I booked it through booking.com. Between 4 of us, we each paid $15, which includes a decent breakfast and all the taxes and stuff. It is very spacious, our room had two queen beds and high ceilings. I was impressed for $15!!!

The best part: free shuttle service to and from Orlando airport.

2nd best part: They have their own shuttle service! "Laura's Shuttle" is the name and for each person to go to Port Canaveral ROUNDTRIP was $40 and they went above and beyond. Our driver also gave us a tour and on the way back home, she held our luggage and brought us to the mall and then the airport because our flight home wasn't until 4pm.

So, it was $55 per person for a nice room, breakfast in the morning, and roundtrip transportation to and from Port Canaveral.

Also! It's a small bus, not a crammed van or anything! There will be plenty of room for your party!

• 4 months later...

DO NOT USE Travel Orlando. Refused to provide a refund, despite following their cancellation procedure (we were trying to cancel the return leg of a round-trip from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral).

Gave me the run around and lied to my credit card company. I'm out $75.

Charge a 20% gratuity without telling you.

They had 20 people wait on their bus at the Airport for 45 minutes while they attempted to fill the last 2 seats on the (run down) bus.

They also have an "F" rating from the BBB.

Archived