Roll Call!!! Oosterdam RSVP Alaska - Sept 3-10, 2005

bepsf

Guess this is a question for Seattlites? How much for a taxi ride or van shuttle from SeaTac to the cruise terminal?

Is ShuttleExpress a good company to use? When we arrive at Terminal 30, is it like other terminals, you drop off your luggage in one area and process in another?

What time can we start boarding? Is it first come, first served or is it

sweets first? I"m sure it's going to be a campy fun atmosphere.

I heard the monorail is not running right now. Will it be fixed by the end of

August? Please have it fixed for us. I want to take the BearCub to the Space Needle Thingy! I love that rotating restaurant up top, kind of pricey though.

Guess this is a question for Seattlites? How much for a taxi ride or van shuttle from SeaTac to the cruise terminal?

Is ShuttleExpress a good company to use? When we arrive at Terminal 30, is it like other terminals, you drop off your luggage in one area and process in another?

What time can we start boarding? Is it first come, first served or is it

sweets first? I"m sure it's going to be a campy fun atmosphere.

I heard the monorail is not running right now. Will it be fixed by the end of

August? Please have it fixed for us. I want to take the BearCub to the Space Needle Thingy! I love that rotating restaurant up top, kind of pricey though.

Hi There,

A ride from Sea-Tac to ship will be about 20-25 minutes and cost approximately that much in dollars. Gray Line offers a shuttle in the lower level of the baggage claim that will be a bit more comparable.

Embarkation will begin at about 11am.

The monorail is now operational.

I found out what cabin I'll be in! Unless they end up getting a male interpreter, then I will have an inside by myself - 4113. If they do get a male terp, then I will be rooming with the other female terp, and I don't know what cabin that would be - but it would at least be an outside.

*goes to squint at deck plans*

edit: hmm, looks like 4113 might be an outside, but with a fully obstructed view. but it has a bath!

Mr. Shipcafe,

Thank you for the update on the monorail and transfers from Sea Tac. I really love your city and state, especially the outdoors.

Dan

Mr. Shipcafe,

Thank you for the update on the monorail and transfers from Sea Tac. I really love your city and state, especially the outdoors.

Dan

Thanks Dan! We have been having flawless, sunny, hot days here so hopefully that holds true for your upcoming sailing.

RSVP generally hosts a Bon Voyage Party the night before sailing. Time and place generally aren't announced till a few days before sailing, so keep an eye on your e-mail.

Hey Brian, thanks for the welcome. I've been out of commission due to eye surgery. It went well, so I'll be able to see during the cruise!

Umm, we're arriving in Seattle on Wednesday (we have some friends there and love the city so we wanted extra time). If the Bon Voyage Party hasn't been announced by Tuesday, will it be announced here or will there be another way to find out where/when? (Can you tell I'm a little obsessive-compulsive?)

Thanks!

Wednesday, I'm jealous! My coordinator said something about trying to fly me out on Saturday so I "wouldn't have to stay over" - I understand that they want to save money by not putting me up overnight, but I don't know how keen I am on rushing around for an entire day...I'd be exhausted! Oh well, I will go along with whatever he comes up with.

Isn't there a going-away party on Saturday night as well? Is the bon voyage something different? Now I'm confused!

Etoile--

I'd insist on flying out Friday at the latest - you may have to ante up for the hotelroom - but trust me, it'll be well worth it...

...and a Bon Voyage party is a going-away party.

Gary, as soon as I get the e-mail, I'll post here for the crew...

...but then if you cant get e-mail, how will you see this???:confused:

You know bepsf...that is an excellent idea. I think I will e-mail him right away to ask if that is an option. I would so much rather take it at a slower pace. Thanks for suggesting that!

Okay, so...is the party we are talking about on Friday night or Saturday night? :)

The Bon Voyage Party is the night before we sail (Friday) - at a place in Seattle yet to be announced.

The Sailaway Party is held on the Aft Lido Deck at @ 5pm Saturday. You'll probably be standing next to Danny Williams signing your wrists sore... ;)

ROFL!! Thanks for that clarification, that makes it PERFECTLY clear. :D

As for the hotel room, it looks like they might even spring for that too. Just a month to go!

Hooray!

See what happens when you ask the right questions?

:)

Let us know where you're going to be staying - there are a number of us at the Vance and I know some boys are at the Westin...

Hey Birthday Boy Brian! (Happy Belated Birthday)!

Have you received your documents yet? I know they must be imminent.

Let's all agree to post here when we receive them.

Hugs,

Dan

Aieeee!! Our TA called me today with the booking number so we can get a head start on the shore excursions. Decisions, decisions!! Floatplanes! Gardens! Whales! Bears! Lumberjacks! Harleys!

Head spinning, mastercard in hand...

Laura

:eek:

Got the email from the TA. Yes, time to think of the shore excursions and pull out the plastic. Some of those excursions bring back memories of being in army basic training. Mooooo! Cattle Car!

For the 1st timers, call the TA if you haven't heard anything in one or 2 days.

Have fun getting your documents!

Dan

I already know the shore excursions that I will be doing - the "Best of Juneau" trip, "Explore Historic Ketchikan," and the White Pass Summit Railway trip in Haines. Looking forward to them! (If possible I might slip out of one of these to do a sea kayaking excursion...anyone interested in joining me?)

Ms Etoile,

I would be happy to join you. I want to see otters. We don't have otters here in Carroll Co. Well, maybe some at the mall. I encountered my first

bovine bull in the road today. He wouldn't move out of the way. I hope he sauntered back to his pasture.

Well, let me know about the kayak. I would love to do this. I heard it is very safe and very unlikely to tip over.

Dan

Kayaking is absolutely safe. I have been kayaking for several years now, primarily sea kayaking which is the type done in Alaska. My real dream is to paddle in Greenland so I think Alaska would be a good preview of what that would be like! (Greenland actually requires a lot more planning and safety equipment - the scenery might be similar to Alaska, but the temps are said to be colder.)

Kayaks are indeed very difficult to tip over, and the type used on a shore excursion would be very safe. I believe I have read that most of them are done in double or even triple kayaks which just add to the stability. I have never paddled a triple (they are hard to find!) but I have paddled a double and it was even more stable than a single.

Sounds great, I hope we'll get to do this!

I got it! I hadn't gotten the previous update e-mail (the one that listed the planned activities and Skagway/Haines change), probably because I had just signed on, but I did get this one. Whee!

I just found this site. I am on the Sept 3rd sailing to alaska. I was going with my boyfriend but we split up last weekend and now it seems I am going it alone. Any advise from anyone? :eek:

Get w/ your TA ASAP to change the name on the ticket to your best friend and bring him/her. You'll have a blast & some moral support and your friend will love you for life!

;)

(then meet us for post-sailaway cocktails and look for a Cruise Critic function in your ships newsletter...)

Archived