Old Lahaina Luau

Sally of the Sea

I's a pretty good hike, maybe a mile north of the pier. We got with some other folks, and split the cost of a taxi each way. It just doesn't make much sense to get fairly decently dressed, then have to walk all that way and back, especially on a full stomach, with 3 or 4 MaiTais to boot

We walked there and took a cab back. There were lots of cabs waiting when the luau was over. Also, you may want to book your reservation on line as this sells out every night. We requested traditional ground seating and had the very front and center of the stage--best seats in the house. We booked about three months in advance online.

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/18/05 we tried booking a reservation for this luau for the first of Aug cruise and they were all booked and are taking reservations for August 8th. The AAA gave this a "Gem" rating. Darn, we'll have to remember it for next time.

LucyF

Try the Feast at Lele if Old Lahaina is sold out. The show is excellent and the food is reported to be far superior to Old Lahaina. It's also a sit down meal as opposed to a buffet. The whole thing is smaller and more intimate but higher quality. It's actually run by the same company but the menu is prepared by a well-known chef. I thought it was excellent.

(This is beachchick)

Feast at Lele is also in Lahaina (at the 505 Front St. complex). It would be an easy walk from the pier. Just go out to Front St., hang a right, and walk a few blocks.

Old Lahaina is off to the left and would be quite a walk in the heat, IMO. I'd guess it's about 1 mile, maybe a bit more, from the pier. It's not the most lovely walk either, again IMO. However, we've walked that far both early in the day and late afternoon (when it's a bit cooler and pleasant). I'm not sure I'd want to walk it later at night though. It's pretty dark and not the best walking area.

We've not been to either Old Lahaina nor Feast at Lele. We're just not luau people; nothing against them, just not interested. This last trip we decided to walk the "beach" from the south end of the harbor as far as reasonable. (This was low tide; I doubt it's much of a beach at high tide.) It was going on sunset and quite lovely--an interesting look at the real estate (some we'd call "knockdowns" and some large, snazzy homes). Our walk took us past the 505 Front St. buildings, and on the way back Feast at Lele was starting. It looked beautiful. The servers were all in traditional attire (well, the women wore tops, which they traditionally might not have done); the entertainment had started; everyone was wearing a lei and looked like they were having a terrific time. (Yes, we could walk right by it because all beaches in Hawaii are public. The Feast is in a garden-like setting just above the public beach so you may see locals out with their dogs or just having a walk. We met some nice folks on our walk.) Now, we are actually simply assuming this was Feast at Lele. It was at 505 and looked like a luau (the identical orchid leis being one clue), but it's possible that it was a special event. We weren't going to go up there and ask.

beachchick

Archived