Best Place for Black Sand Beach?

sjmbruce

Hi! I'll be in Maui (Kahului), Hilo, Kona and Kauai on my Hawaii cruise. There is a possibility of being in Honolulu for a day or two as well.

What's the best place to go to a black sand beach? Is that an opportunity available near the port on all the islands?

Thanks!

Richardson Beach, State park too. Very close to port in Hilo. Rent a car here, very easy to see black sand beaches, and drive yourself up to VNP, volcano natl.park, beautiful easy drive, get a convertible, you can here the birds singing as your slowly driving through the park. Reserve your convertible in advance use this site for alot of tours and car rentals, http://adventureinhawaii.com/bigisland_rental_cars.htm Have a great cruise :D

Hi! I'll be in Maui (Kahului), Hilo, Kona and Kauai on my Hawaii cruise. There is a possibility of being in Honolulu for a day or two as well.

What's the best place to go to a black sand beach? Is that an opportunity available near the port on all the islands?

Thanks!

Good question! We'll be cruising to Honolulu...Lahaina, Maui...Kailua, Kona...and Hilo. I'm also interested in hearing about black sand beaches, especially easy to get to beaches with great photo opportunities.

Thanks! :)

If you plan to rent a car and drive to VNP, there is a beautiful black sand beach about a 45 min. drive beyond the park entrance. It is called Punalu'u and this is the beach you wil see in many photos. It is also a great place to see turtles lounging on the beach. Many folks include this in their day along with VNP.

Punalu'u is the best black sand beach, truly coal black not just dirty brown. It is actually very clean and doesn't make your feet dirty.

I'm assuming I can get to Punalu'u beach during our port stops in kona or hilo?

I'm assuming I can get to Punalu'u beach during our port stops in kona or hilo?

We're planning to visit Punalu'u beach while we're in Kona. While we're in Hilo, we're doing VNP as well as Akaka Falls. Not enough time to include Punalu'u that day. Going from Kona made more sense to us. It is a long drive, but still made more sense for the things we wanted to include.

We're planning to visit Punalu'u beach while we're in Kona. While we're in Hilo, we're doing VNP as well as Akaka Falls. Not enough time to include Punalu'u that day. Going from Kona made more sense to us. It is a long drive, but still made more sense for the things we wanted to include.

thanks for this information! we'd also like to to do VNP and the falls while in Hilo. i hadn't started really looking into drive time.....we're in Hilo for 8am-6pm. if that's not enough time to do VNP and the falls, do you know how long of a drive it is from Kona to Punalu'u?

Unfortunately on Maui, the best black sand beach is Honokalani (Waianapanapa) in Hana, with a bunch of smaller beaches around Kaupo, Kipahulu, etc but all require a rental car to get to from Kahului with Hana being an almost 3 hour drive one way.

thanks for this information! we'd also like to to do VNP and the falls while in Hilo. i hadn't started really looking into drive time.....we're in Hilo for 8am-6pm. if that's not enough time to do VNP and the falls, do you know how long of a drive it is from Kona to Punalu'u?

This is my plan for Hilo: http://*******/maps/efCrg

This is my plan for Kona: http://*******/maps/O7Aaa

These are links to my saved Google maps I prepared. Never used a Google map like this before, so I hope the links work! :)

Archived