Best Stops for Road To Hana

drsmith

My husband and I will be tendering into Lahaina, Maui from Celebrity Century on Saturday, February 9 (my birthday) around 8:00am. We have a rental car for the entire day (late drop off up to 10pm).

What route should we take to get to the Road To Hana? And where should we stop along the route?

We like hiking, waterfalls, scenery, etc. We are NOT into crowds, touristy type stuff, shopping, etc.

I realize this is the Road to Hana, and it will be on a Saturday, and we're not even starting the tendering process until 8am, and then we'll have to get the rental car. Any tips on how to make the most of our day since we'll be getting a late start (I've heard recommendations about getting to R2H by 7am, which is NOT going to happen for us.)

And...where's the turn around point for rental cars?

My husband and I will be tendering into Lahaina, Maui from Celebrity Century on Saturday, February 9 (my birthday) around 8:00am. We have a rental car for the entire day (late drop off up to 10pm).

What route should we take to get to the Road To Hana? And where should we stop along the route?

We like hiking, waterfalls, scenery, etc. We are NOT into crowds, touristy type stuff, shopping, etc.

I realize this is the Road to Hana, and it will be on a Saturday, and we're not even starting the tendering process until 8am, and then we'll have to get the rental car. Any tips on how to make the most of our day since we'll be getting a late start (I've heard recommendations about getting to R2H by 7am, which is NOT going to happen for us.)

And...where's the turn around point for rental cars?

This website has a great guide for driving the road to Hana, even list the mile markers and distances. :D

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxm.htm

Bill

To answer your questions....

There are two routes to the R2H from Lahaina. One is along the curvier and slower Northern shore of West Maui (w/ scenic stops like Honolua Bay) and the other route is the straighter and faster road South from Lahaina.

Since one will likely get their fill of curves and one-lane bridges on the way to and from Hana, I would suggest taking the 30 and then the 380 to the 36(Hana Hwy.) -- Look at a road map. Maui is very simple to navigate and the few highways that intersect the island are clearly marked.

As for places to stop, the link listed above gives some good suggestions.

I too recommend stopping in (lower)Paia and perhaps picking up a picnic lunch or some snacks/drinks at the store. My advice would be to make the drive all of the way directly out to Hana/Kipahulu early and then utilize the return trip to make various stops along the way back. The turn around spot for rental cars is just past Kipahulu.

Hamoa Beach is an oft not crowded tranquil spot(unless the waves are up) and Waianapanapa State Park is nice as well.

This website has a great guide for driving the road to Hana, even list the mile markers and distances. :D

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotgdxm.htm

Bill

Thanks for the link. The information looks helpful. However, I couldn't get any of the photos to open.

Any other info is still welcome! The more the better! :)

To answer your questions....

There are two routes to the R2H from Lahaina. One is along the curvier and slower Northern shore of West Maui (w/ scenic stops like Honolua Bay) and the other route is the straighter and faster road South from Lahaina.

Since one will likely get their fill of curves and one-lane bridges on the way to and from Hana, I would suggest taking the 30 and then the 380 to the 36(Hana Hwy.) -- Look at a road map. Maui is very simple to navigate and the few highways that intersect the island are clearly marked.

As for places to stop, the link listed above gives some good suggestions.

I too recommend stopping in (lower)Paia and perhaps picking up a picnic lunch or some snacks/drinks at the store. My advice would be to make the drive all of the way directly out to Hana/Kipahulu early and then utilize the return trip to make various stops along the way back. The turn around spot for rental cars is just past Kipahulu.

Hamoa Beach is an oft not crowded tranquil spot(unless the waves are up) and Waianapanapa State Park is nice as well.

Thanks for the info. I'll take some time later to compare your advice with maps I find online. This helps a lot.

I have heard that if you like hiking a good option is to drive straight to oheo Gulch (7 sacred pools) as there are some very good hikes down there. You will also beat all the other tourists there and you can stop at a few of the other more popular spots on the return journey.

Here's a map of the route from Lahaina. The last stop is at Charles Lindbergh's grave - if you are going there, at one mile past the parking lot at Oheo Gulch, look for a 'Maui Stables' sign, turn left there and left again to get to the church. This is the 'turn around point' for rental cars ... past that you are on the 'southern route' (see my note below.)

At Oheo Gulch it's a quick walk to the pools, and/or you can do the Pipiwai Trail hike ... or part of it, depending on how much time you have. Two highlights of the hike are the bamboo forests and Waimoku Falls at the end of the hike. There's a visitor's centre here - and worth asking about the conditions of the Pipiwai trail before venturing off on it.

With sunset at 6:20 and a very short period of twilight, I would aim to be back in Kahului by 6:30 so that you're not driving the RTH in the dark. Driving back from Kahului to Lahaina in the dark isn't a problem.

Just a comment about the southern route if you're considering it... be sure to check with the car rental company if they allow their vehicles to be taken there as I think most of the major rental agencies prohibit use of the vehicles on a stretch of road there, per the section marked in red in the bottom right hand side of this map: http://www.hawaiidriveguides.com/MauiDriveGuide/12_13_mdg.html

years ago I bought a CD for my ride to Hana. It told me where to pull over and what to look for.....if I hadn't had this I would have missed some of the best sites. I bought it on the way to the road to Hana. I believe that now they have cars with GPS that do the same thing. Ask at the rental place. I have been to Hana twice. The first time I made all the stops and didn't have time to hike around at the end because I wanted to be back before dark (don't drive this road in the dark). The second time I drove straight to the end and hiked/walked the bamboo forest...spetacular. I would recommend doing the stops if it is your first time and just know you won't have any time to see the bamboo forest. If you want a beautiful place for dinner on the way back from Hana...make a reservation at Mama's Fish Shack (I think that is what it is called). Spetacular view and great food. It is on the main road and you will be able to get back to Lahina, even in the dark, from there.

years ago I bought a CD for my ride to Hana. It told me where to pull over and what to look for.....if I hadn't had this I would have missed some of the best sites. I bought it on the way to the road to Hana. I believe that now they have cars with GPS that do the same thing. Ask at the rental place. I have been to Hana twice. The first time I made all the stops and didn't have time to hike around at the end because I wanted to be back before dark (don't drive this road in the dark). The second time I drove straight to the end and hiked/walked the bamboo forest...spetacular. I would recommend doing the stops if it is your first time and just know you won't have any time to see the bamboo forest. If you want a beautiful place for dinner on the way back from Hana...make a reservation at Mama's Fish Shack (I think that is what it is called). Spetacular view and great food. It is on the main road and you will be able to get back to Lahina, even in the dark, from there.

What did you consider the best sites?

For us, the best sites were Oheo Gulch pools, Pipiwai Trail hike, Lindbergh's Grave (awesome views from the edge of the cliff on the property), and the black sand beach in Hana. We didn't get to Keanae Peninsula because of time constraints, but will definitely try to fit it into the next trip.

Another thought .... just in case of rainy weather (which Hana is prone to) you might want to have a back-up plan - but there's so much to see on Maui that it won't be hard to come up with a 'plan B' - this is a good site to check weather.

I posted this on another Maui thread but thought I would post here as well.

About 10 years ago SWMBO and I took the road to Hana while spending a week on Maui. We used "Road to Hana, Hana CD Guide" narrated by Craig Henderson. http://www.hanacdguide.com/Road_to_H...Home_Page.html

He has now been doing this guide for 29 years and will guide you along with many interesting facts about road and sites and sights along the way. A very good way to see the place on your own pace, and see much more than you will on a van tour.

Here is another link with an interview with Craig.

http://www.mauihawaii.org/people/craig-henderson.htm

We took all the noted stops that the CD suggested and loved every part of it, took us about 6 hours to get to Hana, and about 2 or so to get back. It looks like they are saying 3 hours back now. It is a beautiful drive and you can rush it and miss some remarkable sights.

We were thinking of going to the end of the Road to Hana and doing stuff on the way back, since the Pipiwai Trail interests me the most. So, I'm assuming the CD would not be of value to us if we do it like this, huh?

We didn't have the CD, so I can't comment on it ... but assuming that you'll be on the road by 9, at O'heo Gulch by noon, spend ~2.5 hours there ...that will only leave enough time to fit in a quick stop in Hana and a couple of really brief stops at pull offs on the road for scenic views on the way back.

p.s. I just had a look at one of the CD's available for the RTH, and it might be worthwhile to have one even if you aren't making most of the stops along the way - you would learn about sights along the way, some history, and there's entertainment value.

We didn't have the CD, so I can't comment on it ... but assuming that you'll be on the road by 9, at O'heo Gulch by noon, spend ~2.5 hours there ...that will only leave enough time to fit in a quick stop in Hana and a couple of really brief stops at pull offs on the road for scenic views on the way back.

p.s. I just had a look at one of the CD's available for the RTH, and it might be worthwhile to have one even if you aren't making most of the stops along the way - you would learn about sights along the way, some history, and there's entertainment value.

Darn, I won't have time to do everything I wanted to do, will I? Maybe Plan B should be...banyan tree, Iao needle, snorkel at Black Rock. Which would you do...plan A or plan B? I'd like everybody's reply here please. Thanks.

Darn, I won't have time to do everything I wanted to do, will I? Maybe Plan B should be...banyan tree, Iao needle, snorkel at Black Rock. Which would you do...plan A or plan B? I'd like everybody's reply here please. Thanks.

I presume that this is your first time to Maui.

I lived on Maui for a stint in the late 90s and also got married to my DW(& spent our honeymoon) on the island a few years back as well.

The road out to Hana is one to be taken as leisurely as possible. There aren't really so many 'must sees'/'must dos' per say. However, it must be noted that the person doing the driving isn't going to be able to soak in the scenery (from the road) as much as the passenger(s). So trading off might be equitable.

There are some people that may have expectations that aren't met when they eventually realize that the road/journey itself is the attraction as much as the destination is. There isn't really much to see or do in Hana(proper) other than the General Store and a couple of other spots around Ka'uiki head. It's a really quiet sleepy town.

When I first lived on the island, the area around Oheo Gulch(Kipahulu) was much less crowded, but with the ranger station having been built it was very busy with tourists the last time I was there. That stated, The hike up to the falls is pretty nice through all of the lush foliage and bamboo etc.

For the return, stops at Hamoa beach and Waianapanapa are the most worthwhile as is a quick stop at Wailua falls/valley and perhaps also at the overlook at Ho'okipa to spot some surfers catching some afternoon sets of waves. Mama's Fish House is also nearby and would make for a very nice and memorable birthday dinner(around $150-$200 for two w/ drinks) -- Make reservations in advance.

What I'm getting at here is that 8-9 hours is plenty of time to go out to Hana/Kipahulu and not feel pressed for time or having left feeling like one missed some key spots. Just take your time driving out there/and back and make sure to bring some snacks w/ you.

With only one day on the island, one also might find a trip up the Iao Valley, or a drive to the top of Haleakala and/or a little snorkeling might provide for a more leisurely day. Just remember the key word for whatever you finally decide to do for the day. Leisure.

OK ... here's my thoughts ... I don't think I would do the Road to Hana if I only had one day. We didn't do it until our second visit to Maui and that was during a 14 day stay. I know a lot of people say it's a 'must' .... but there are so many beautiful sights on Maui, that if you didn't do the RTH, you would still be in awe of the scenery ... maybe even more so, because when driving the RTH, most of the time you are in the trees .... every once in a while you get a great view, but then back into the trees ... until you get to Hana, and then O'heo Gulch. It's a really good day trip ... but it's also ~6 hours in the car.

Instead I would explore the west side of Maui .... drive as far as Nakalele Blowhole and take in some of the scenic views along the way. (Once when we were at the blowhole a woman said to me, "If I had known how scenic this drive was we would have skipped the RTH yesterday" ... so it's a pretty nice drive!) You might have heard of Honolua Bay - you'll pass it along the way - it's where the snorkel catamarans go for their snorkel cruises. If it's calm that day, well worth stopping at. Also Kapalua Bay is a nice place to snorkel in calm conditions. Napili Bay (right next to Kapalua) is an amazing swimming beach.

Since you'll be in Lahaina, you could save the Banyan Tree for a night time view ... getting an earlier start on your drive.

Black Rock (at the beach where the Sheraton is) gets pretty crowded during the day .... if you are going to stop there, I would try to get there early, or late afternoon (we go around 5 p.m. and it's pretty quiet then, and easy to find parking).

Here's a map of the route (one way) from Lahaina to Nakalele Blowhole (with some stops in between that I've mentioned above.) To return, you would back track (don't keep going .... another prohibited road and it's really scary ... we did it once by mistake!).

Iao Needle is very scenic ... well worth a stop. It's a 45 minute drive in the other direction, so depending on what you're thoughts are on seeing more of the W. Maui Coast, and how long you spend snorkelling/swimming .... it may or may not fit into your day. Maybe if you just go as far as Kapalua Bay on the drive mentioned above, it would make for a better combination with going to Iao Valley.

Sorry ... that was pretty long winded ... hope it wasn't too confusing!

Susan M, are there any lush rain forests or bamboo forests on the west side? I like the idea of the west side better than the hustle and bustle of R2H. But I gotta see a bamboo forest at some point.

Stayed at the Sheraton Ka'anapali at Black Rock in October and the beach does get crowded during the day. The beaches are public and as a hotel guest kinda longed for the private beaches of Mexican resorts. The sunsets are great there and Hula Grill down the beach in Whalers' Village is a nice restaurant.

We did the RTH and it was our favorite experience of the trip. Rent a convertible, put the top down to experience the fragrance of the flowers and take your time doing the drive. Awesome hippie vegan ice cream stand (can't remember the name) and a nice stop just outside of Hana with a few food stands and shops set up. Great kalua pork as well as mac and cheese here. Hana town itself is not much and the drive beyond yields great scenery and beaches. It just gets way more narrow than the drive to Hana.

Don't miss the drive.

Susan M, are there any lush rain forests or bamboo forests on the west side? I like the idea of the west side better than the hustle and bustle of R2H. But I gotta see a bamboo forest at some point.

Iao Valley has lush vegetation, but no bamboo forest ... & I don't know of any other bamboo forests that are accessible on any of the islands.

This is a must for your road to hana trip......

Make sure you stop at the market before your trip. Buy a six pack and some snacks..Then stop at the beach and stay there for about 8 hours. And don't do the road to HELL..........lol

Iao Valley has lush vegetation, but no bamboo forest ... & I don't know of any other bamboo forests that are accessible on any of the islands.

Don't know how much bamboo is on this trail, but the photos look good. http://www.to-hawaii.com/oahu/waterfalls/manoafalls.php

Ooops, just realized I switched islands...lol. Oh well, as long as I see bamboo at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Maui has a very dense forest of bamboo on the Waimoku Falls Trail. This is past Hana on the RTH. Following is a link showing some photos of the bamboo forest: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143033-d208644-Reviews-Waimoku_Falls_Trail-Haleakala_National_Park_Maui_Hawaii.html

Maui has a very dense forest of bamboo on the Waimoku Falls Trail. This is past Hana on the RTH. Following is a link showing some photos of the bamboo forest: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143033-d208644-Reviews-Waimoku_Falls_Trail-Haleakala_National_Park_Maui_Hawaii.html

That's the trail we had talked about earlier in this thread, but the OP was asking if there are trails elsewhere with bamboo forests as she's not sure about driving the RTH on her port day.

That's the trail we had talked about earlier in this thread, but the OP was asking if there are trails elsewhere with bamboo forests as she's not sure about driving the RTH on her port day.

You are correct Susan. We leave in two weeks and we still have no clue what to do in Maui! I'm satisfied with our itineraries for all of our other stops, but I'm struggling with Maui!!

Somebody give me the perfect itinerary for Maui that doesn't include the Road To Hana or anything that is beyond Hana or Haleakala. We're interested in hiking, waterfalls, bamboo forests, amazing natural scenery. No interest in touristy shopping or restaurants. Oh yeh, a night snorkel would be fun (on my own, no tour). And maybe a safe cliff dive. Gotta do something different that day, it's my birthday! :)

We are scheduled to arrive in Lahaina around 8:00am and we'll be tendering. Sunset is around 6:21 the day we are there.

Help!

We're interested in hiking, waterfalls, bamboo forests, amazing natural scenery.

That's all on the Road to Hana ... in particular the Pipiwai Trail.

But you could hike elsewhere ... you just wouldn't have the bamboo forest. The Waihee Ridge Trail is popular (and a good workout). It takes about an hour to get to from Lahaina, and you'd want to allow about 3 hours for the hike.

What about the itinerary that I outlined in post #16. It's very scenic, and you could take in some of the Kapalua Resort Trails ... the coastal trail is pretty awesome.

Archived