Best Stops for Road To Hana

drsmith

That's all on the Road to Hana ... in particular the Pipiwai Trail.

But you could hike elsewhere ... you just wouldn't have the bamboo forest. The Waihee Ridge Trail is popular (and a good workout). It takes about an hour to get to from Lahaina, and you'd want to allow about 3 hours for the hike.

What about the itinerary that I outlined in post #16. It's very scenic, and you could take in some of the Kapalua Resort Trails ... the coastal trail is pretty awesome.

I re-examined the route in post #16. I think I blew it off the first time because I saw resort names in it and I was thinking of making the first stop Nakalele then working my way back. When I saw resorts, I didn't think of hiking trails. And when I saw it was low tide at Nakalele in the morning, I thought that was a bust.

NOW...I've researched some of the trails and it looks very appealing, and I think I can work the timing out to be at Nakalele for the early afternoon high tide. I think I like this plan. Gonna run a timeline and see how it all comes together. Thanks. :)

Oh well, as long as I see bamboo at some point.

On Kauai if you hike the Kalalau trail to Hanakapiai Beach then turn upstream to Hanakapiai Falls the trail passes through quite a bit of the same type and size Bamboo as you would hike through on the Pipiwai Trail at seven pools, just not nearly as much of it. It is a four mile hike each way to Hanakapiai Falls but you can swim in the 300 foot waterfalls pool and see some of the best scenery in the world, the Na Pali Coast up close - just under your feet. http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_kauai/hanakapiai_hike.php

The Pool below Waimoku Falls (a 400 foot waterfall) is to shallow to swim in, you wade across the pool to get a picture under the waterfall. The Pipiwai trail is a great trail though, not to be missed if you are a hiker on Maui. Like others said early on in this thread I would go the back way (Hwy 31 - which is a beautiful drive itself) to Oheo Gulch (seven pools) and avoid all the traffic on the "Road to Hana". http://mauiguidebook.com/adventures/pipiwai-trail-waimoku-falls/

Like others said early on in this thread I would go the back way (Hwy 31 - which is a beautiful drive itself) to Oheo Gulch (seven pools) and avoid all the traffic on the "Road to Hana".

If you do that, be sure to check your car rental contract first (read the fine print in the Terms & Conditions) to see if it prohibits driving on unpaved roads. If it does, then you would want to make sure that your insurance will cover you if you are in violation of the rental contract. Most of the road is paved, but there are several miles of unpaved road.

You are correct Susan. We leave in two weeks and we still have no clue what to do in Maui! I'm satisfied with our itineraries for all of our other stops, but I'm struggling with Maui!!

Somebody give me the perfect itinerary for Maui that doesn't include the Road To Hana or anything that is beyond Hana or Haleakala. We're interested in hiking, waterfalls, bamboo forests, amazing natural scenery. No interest in touristy shopping or restaurants. Oh yeh, a night snorkel would be fun (on my own, no tour). And maybe a safe cliff dive. Gotta do something different that day, it's my birthday! :)

We are scheduled to arrive in Lahaina around 8:00am and we'll be tendering. Sunset is around 6:21 the day we are there.

Help!

I agree with what someone posted earlier that the drive along the road to Hana is really the experience so it is not something you want to rush. If you are still looking for an all day itinerary this would give you a good variety:

IO Valley - it has the natural beauty of the island that you seem to be looking for.

Paia town - Rustic wind surfing town that is at the start of the road heading to Hana. lots of fun shops and a great place to eat lunch (Paia Fish Market and Ono Gelato Company).

Upcountry Haleakala - Head up the shoulder of the mountain, you will find places like Grandma's Coffee house and Tedeschi Winery. Those are a couple for fun places to stop. Then just loop back to Lahania and if you have time enjoy Front Street.

Bill

Archived