? for Thomson Cruises - mobility scooters

Hi,

My parents and I have just had separate Xmas holidays because my mother needs a mobility scooter for long distances - she is ok walking about the ship but needs it when she gets off - we were told that Thomson do not allow mobility scooters onboard - hubby and I prefer to cruise with Thomson - however one of the 1st things I saw when getting onboard was a chap on a scooter :eek: He said there has been a recent EU ruling and the ship operators must now accommodate scooters albeit in small numbers (quite understandably) and Thomson told him he could now bring his onboard - can you please clarify the position as 6 of us are looking to book for next year.

Thanks

Carrol

Hi,

My parents and I have just had separate Xmas holidays because my mother needs a mobility scooter for long distances - she is ok walking about the ship but needs it when she gets off - we were told that Thomson do not allow mobility scooters onboard - hubby and I prefer to cruise with Thomson - however one of the 1st things I saw when getting onboard was a chap on a scooter :eek: He said there has been a recent EU ruling and the ship operators must now accommodate scooters albeit in small numbers (quite understandably) and Thomson told him he could now bring his onboard - can you please clarify the position as 6 of us are looking to book for next year.

Thanks

Carrol

I am sure on Fraser Ellacot's Q&A session, someone asked a similar question & the reply was "yes" they do accomodate them. Might be worth trawling throught the questions on there to see if you can find it!

There was a lady in a powered scooter on the Dream transatlantic cruise and was seen using it around the ship.

I think this is the second time I have seen one on Thomson cruises - I saw one earlier in 2012.

They both seem to have been of the type that may fold to something smaller than that when in use but they were definately battery powered.

There may therefore be some size limitation as to what is allowed - Thomsons will answer this more thoroughly I expect.

Irrespective you would be best advised to make a specific request to the section at Thomsons Head Office that deals with assisted boarding etc etc and have your request and type of mobility aids noted on the cruise booking as approved for use on and around the ship

There may be constraints regarding size and for particular ships. We were struck by the fact that the cabin corridors on Majesty seemed really nice and wide as compared with the lower decks on say Celebration/Spirit - so there could be different answers to the question depending on size /type of scooter and which ship and the cabin location.

As Huddersfieldtourist suggests the Special Assistance team on 0871 230 0204 should be able to advise you on that.

Hi,

Thanks

Carrol

Hi CarrpeDiem,

Our policy has recently been updated so customers can bring battery-powered mobility scooters onboard. But customers do need to let us know before they book, as due to safety reasons, we do have to limit the number of wheelchairs and scooters we can allow onboard. The Customer Welfare Team can look into this for you and you can get in touch with them on 0844 871 1600.

I hope that helps.

Rhiannon

Archived