Three Pairs of Shoes ?

XTEACH281

I always enjoy reading lists of what you need to take on a cruise ---and always have an "Aha!" moment at ideas I had never thought of- but a gentleman's post made me pause - he said you only need three pairs of shoes---1 pair of each -sneakers, sandals and dress shoes. OK- I am no Imelda Marcos- but I am looking at 3 pairs of sandals alone ! Anyone out there do a 15 day cruise with only 3 pairs of shoes total ?

Susan ~ there is NO WAY I could get through a cruise (7 days or longer) with only 3 pair of shoes: It's more like 5: 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of velvet black pumps (for formal night), 1 pair of dressy sling-backs (blue for the 3 blue outfits I bring), 1 white pair of pumps for my white dress pants (2 tops = 2 outfits), and one pair of sandals, one pair of pool shoes (the beach kind that you can wear in the ocean) !!! And, that's the MINIMUM! I'm sure I'll squeeze in 1 or 2 more :eek:

I'm no Imelda Marcos either - but I've managed to get through 2 seven day cruises with only 2 pair on each cruise, plus a pair of slippers. One pair of comfortable walking shoes that are also fit for casual dining, and one nicer pair. I have tons of shoes, but for traveling I like to keep them to a minimum.

Hikini:D

I have traveled many times with three pairs of shoes..including around the world with lots of different climates...One pair black lower heels, a pair of walking shoes and a pair of brown woven slides. However I have never done a cruise with three pairs. I can do one pair of dress sandles (black) that go with all my formal wear but then need, flip flops for the pool, walking sandles, walking shoes for off the boat, and at least one or two other pairs depending on what I am bringing clothes wise.

I am a woman and I only take 3 pr. of shoes, 2 packed and one (heaviest) on my feet. One walking/gym type for travel & port days, one flat sandal for sea days/casual nites and 1 dress sandal for formal eves and some casual nites. I do co-ordinate all my day, dinner clothes so I can pack only a single color shoe. The ONLY exception in 30+ years of cruising was Alaska where I did do 2 pr. walking shoes since we were in SEA and Vancouver several days pre/post cruise.

When I was on the Star Princess a few years ago, we met up with a gal I met on CruiseCritics. She invited us to their cabin for a glass of wine before dinner. They were staying in the Grand Suite which is huge and gorgeous. She showed me the master suite and when I looked into the large, walk-in closer, the wall was lined with a VERY large amount of her shoes!!! I did a double-take! This was for a week-long cruise, mind you. In Mexico where a few pairs of sandals or flip-flops would work for me! :) Anyway, I really got a kick out it. I don't know how many suitcases it took to transport those shoes to the ship! :eek:

I always enjoy reading lists of what you need to take on a cruise ---and always have an "Aha!" moment at ideas I had never thought of- but a gentleman's post made me pause - he said you only need three pairs of shoes---1 pair of each -sneakers, sandals and dress shoes. OK- I am no Imelda Marcos- but I am looking at 3 pairs of sandals alone ! Anyone out there do a 15 day cruise with only 3 pairs of shoes total ?

The key word in your post is GENTLEMAN. :D

My 2 teen daughters and I wear the same size shoe so we planned on sharing to cut back on the number of pairs needed. After laying out all the shoes we HAD to take, we started cutting back-we ended up with 15 total pairs! Hubby brought 3 pair. He got by just fine- we bought MORE SHOES in Mexico so we came home with 19 pairs:D

It's a sickness I seem to have passed on to the next generation....

Hello Susan. My name is Cecilia and I'm a shoeholic. :D On most cruises I take 9 to 12 pairs of shoes. There's no way around it. I'm a foolish woman that buys shoes that I have nothing to go with them and then I buy one outfit that does go with the shoes but with nothing else. On a seven day cruise I'll take one good pair of tennis shoes, one pair of casual docker type shoes, one or two pairs of slip on mule sandals, one pair of slip on mule tennis shoes, then a pair of black shoes to wear with slacks, a pair of black shoes to go with black dresses, then the rest are shoes that go with just one outfit. I have a great purple and blue summer dress that has a pair of low heeled blue slip on shoes that goes with it but with nothing else. I have a pair of neutral colored suede pumps that go with my favorite smart/casual dress. It goes on and on. If you're able to make it work with just three pairs of shoes, you're a better woman than I am. ;) And I wish I could be just like you.

Shoes...my favorite topic...and addiction. My last cruise, the Feb. 11 day Southern Caribbean sail, shoes did become an issue. I really tried very hard to eliminate some of my favoite shoes but it didn't work. I did finally bring 15 pairs....and I did wear them all if only for a short period of time. My next cruise, an 11 day NE/Canada sail on the Jewel, I'm sure I'll have a similar problem...but I'm not going to stress about it. I'll just pick out the outfits and whatever shoes go with them and squeeze them into the suitcase. Worst case scenario...I'll just bring an extra suitcase. We're not flying so one more bag is not a big problem.

Happy cruising!

we were departing from NYC-staying at an airport hotel for an early morning frlight to PR to catch the ship-I had "stupidly" packed all the shoes for 3 of us in one duffel bag and guess which bag was stolen some time along the way???

ALL OF OUR SHOES!!! dress shoes, flip flops, clogs-sneakers

we only had the shoes on our feet.

So once in PR I hopped a cab to JC Penney and bought us each a few more pairs-IT WAS UGLY!!!

morale of the story

"don't pack all your shoes in the same bag"

Oh my gosh, you guys have me laughing! I too am a shoe fanatic until it comes time for traveling. I learned this the hard way when on our cruise to Hawaii, I packed an abundance of shoes. You see it wasn't just me but my two young girls were along and of course, I love buying matching shoes for all of their outfits too. Well, the suitcases were OVER loaded and in our balcony cabin, the shoes were several, several inches deep on the closet floor. So deep, that it was frustrating trying to dig for the right pair for anyone of us. Plus, the weight in the suitcase was terrible. So from then on, no matter what, I work very hard at packing minimal shoes. Last February, I managed to pack only my evening wear sandal that went with every evening outfit, then I traveled wearing a pair of sandals. If it weren't for scheduling a last minute Canopy Tour that would have been it but I needed tennis for that excursion so they came along too. Basically, wore one pair and brought two. AMAZING!

I don't think I will be able to manage that for Alaska as it just seems you have to pack for more weather conditions.

This made me laugh too. I have finally learned after packing too many shoes and realizing I only needed three or four. I pack my clothes and then bring the shoes that will go with everything. I usually have 1 pair of very dressy shoes, sneakers and 2 pairs of casual sandals that I can wear both with shorts and skirts/capris. Oh, and water shoes but they don't really count :)

My DH could get by with the 3 pair rule. There is NO WAY that I could! We're going on a 15 day cruise in July and I'm already agonizing over which to bring. I think I can get it down to 6 - running shoes, walking sandals, 2 pair dress sandals, 1 pair woven flats and water shoes - but can't go lower than that! We're headed to a topical climate. All bets would be off for Alaksa. :)

I'm no Imelda Marcos either - but I've managed to get through 2 seven day cruises with only 2 pair on each cruise, plus a pair of slippers. One pair of comfortable walking shoes that are also fit for casual dining, and one nicer pair. I have tons of shoes, but for traveling I like to keep them to a minimum.

Hikini:D

Same thing for me (althoug my minimum is a little bigger than that - 4 pairs - but I was leaving from NY in winter and going to the bahamas).

:D On most cruises I take 9 to 12 pairs of shoes.

And if you enjoy being married make sure they're in your carryon. First time my wife has be lugging that many pairs of shoes will be the last! But then again, I could make a game out of throwing one shoe overboard each morning. ;) But then again, maybe that's why the guy a couple months ago wanted to bring his butler.

-Monte

Well girls...since we typically don't have to fly to catch our cruises, it's one whole suitcase full of shoes for me! :) I think I managed to bring 20 pairs on the Summit, and I was in heaven!!! Choices galores!!! Did I wear them all?? Heck no...but I did come close...As the evening wore on...the shorter my heels got...just a quick dask back to the cabin...and another pair of shoes!!! Everyone kidded me that I had my own shoe fashion show going on daily.

It certainly was a challenge when we had to fly to San Diego for our last cruise...but...problem solved..lol...we just bought another seat on the plane...hence two more suitcases!!! But not only for shoes...I managed to scale it down to nine...I thought I did great!!!

Next up...Transatlantic...no opportunity to buy another seat and really going to have to scale down...OMG!!!! They're going to have to tranquilize me before I pack this time! ;)

SHOES MAVENS RULE!!!!! :)

Okay, just got back from our 7 day cruise on the Dawn and I brought 15 pair of shoes with me and bought a couple more pairs in Miami. I wore every pair and don't regret carrying the extra duffle bag with all the shoes at all! Part of the fun of the cruise is dressing up!

There is no way I could get by with only 3 pairs of shoes, especially for a 7 day or longer cruise. I took more than that for my first cruise which was 4 days. I wear a pair of running shoes on the plane, plus I bring a pair of deck shoes (bought my 1st pair on a ship because I wished I had brought some), a pair of sandles (not flip flops), a pair of water shoes, plus at least one, if not more, pairs of dressy sandles for evening.

Archived