Evolution of HAL in 2013........

sail7seas

If one can get beyond a literal interpretation, I believe the bigger thought behind the OP's statement is that Celebrity, unlike HAL, has done a great job of branding the line in the last few years, whether or not you specifically like what's on offer. They offer innovative ideas on their newer ships and innovative promotions. In other words, they are a success story in terms of developing an image and attracting cruisers to the line.

I think HAL could capitalize on some of its strengths (or at least what have been strengths) and brand itself with a creative new campaign IF they put the money into it. But they also would need to follow through. If they want to maintain something like the "Signature of Excellence" then they need to be excellent -- not just in terms of service but meeting a minimum standard of maintenance on board.

And if cost-cutting must continue, they need to pick at least ONE area to emphasize to potential cruisers where there aren't noticeable cutbacks -- be that the "best" itineraries or something else. (I don't think either food or entertainment would be viable options....)

Thank you for a very good explanation. I still think if HAL needs to cut back, they need to cut back the number of ships and concentrate better on the ones that they keep. I also agree their itineraries are probably overall the best at sea and they could highlight and market having better and more unique itineraries than everyone else.

I doubt that you will see many drunks, did a Sandals 2 months ago that was totaly unlimited top shelf liquour and might have seen a couple of people that had too much in the 8 days I was there. Hal allows all the wine you can carry on and you almost never see people drunk. My only problem with drink packages is they never have really good wine, which I can bring on Hal, Hal will get 200 or more in corkage fees from me on my next 11 day cruise.

And, if that was true than why don't we hear about drunks on SilverSea or Regent (I think alcohol is included?), and now Azamara who provide unlimted alcohol, wines & beer at lunch, dinner, and the bars.

As far as the Celebrity offer (or comment about packages not having the good stuff), people can upgrade for $11.50 per day including gratuities for the premium package which includes premium bottled water and premium liquer including the martrini's up to $12.00. After that you can pay the difference. If people don't like the offer they can take OBC or free gratuities (in Europe on every sailing all 3). The point is that they are coming up with marketing programs to sell their cruises.

I wonder if it isn't a 'wash' when comparing Celebrity's method to attract bookings vs HAL's.

Celebrity is offering the beverage packages or substitute OBC for spending on board while HAL is lowering prices.

Which do people like more: (a) Deals on liquor/OBC or (b) lower prices for some (many) of the categories of cabins?

If one can get beyond a literal interpretation, I believe the bigger thought behind the OP's statement is that Celebrity, unlike HAL, has done a great job of branding the line in the last few years, whether or not you specifically like what's on offer. They offer innovative ideas on their newer ships and innovative promotions. In other words, they are a success story in terms of developing an image and attracting cruisers to the line.

I think HAL could capitalize on some of its strengths (or at least what have been strengths) and brand itself with a creative new campaign IF they put the money into it. But they also would need to follow through. If they want to maintain something like the "Signature of Excellence" then they need to be excellent -- not just in terms of service but meeting a minimum standard of maintenance on board.

And if cost-cutting must continue, they need to pick at least ONE area to emphasize to potential cruisers where there aren't noticeable cutbacks -- be that the "best" itineraries or something else. (I don't think either food or entertainment would be viable options....)

I guess that some folks might be taken with Celebrity, but I hear a lot of people having the same opinion as I do. It's nothing special, or even mediocre. I don't disagree that HAL could learn a few new tricks. What would be really nice is if HAL would offer a reasonable price for people that book early instead of giving away the farm to get people on the ship at the last minute. Too many people are on to their game and wait till they can get the deals.

And, if that was true than why don't we hear about drunks on SilverSea or Regent (I think alcohol is included?), and now Azamara who provide unlimted alcohol, wines & beer at lunch, dinner, and the bars.

Likely those prices are much higher and the drinkers are not likely to come flocking at those prices.

I doubt that you will see many drunks, did a Sandals 2 months ago that was totaly unlimited top shelf liquour and might have seen a couple of people that had too much in the 8 days I was there. Hal allows all the wine you can carry on and you almost never see people drunk. My only problem with drink packages is they never have really good wine, which I can bring on Hal, Hal will get 200 or more in corkage fees from me on my next 11 day cruise.

Maybe or maybe not. I do know several people that drink a lot more when it's all inclusive. I just can't drink like that, free or not. It hurts too much:eek: and I don't care to be around people that are drinking non stop. Some people can hold it, some not so much.

I wonder if it isn't a 'wash' when comparing Celebrity's method to attract bookings vs HAL's.

Celebrity is offering the beverage packages or substitute OBC for spending on board while HAL is lowering prices.

Which do people like more: (a) Deals on liquor/OBC or (b) lower prices for some (many) of the categories of cabins?

Good point. I just wish the would offer a better price for people that commit early to them instead of giving it away to the cheapie charlie that doesn't buy anything on board even though that never happens;).

I imagine you'd find some passengers prefer one thing and others prefer the other.

I do think Celebrity has been smart over the past couple of years to offer reasonable prices early in the game to attract folks (like myself, for whom the particular cruise line doesn't matter overmuch) to make their bookings with them. By the time HAL drops their prices -- again, as they've done the last several years -- many possible customers have already made their choice to go with another line as it can be a hassle to change air reservations, dates, etc.

By the looks of it, this promotion they're offering is very popular and is doing a good job of doing just what it was intended to do -- filling up their ships for the year. I booked a cruise with Celebrity for next December at a reasonable price with a nice plus (and you don't have to choose the beverage package, there are other options, like OBC or prepaid gratuities).

Because I have limited vacation time, that's one trip for the year already accounted for, and I won't be "surfing" HAL or Princess or anyone else for specials in December as my plans are set.

Sounds great, Cruisemom, and I fully understand the point.

We often book a year in advance but are rethinking that. We are able to be a bit more flexible than some on travel dates and we may do the 'wait and see' thing for our next vacations. If the cabins we want are booked, we'll find something else..... or not.

I imagine you'd find some passengers prefer one thing and others prefer the other.

I do think Celebrity has been smart over the past couple of years to offer reasonable prices early in the game to attract folks (like myself, for whom the particular cruise line doesn't matter overmuch) to make their bookings with them. By the time HAL drops their prices -- again, as they've done the last several years -- many possible customers have already made their choice to go with another line as it can be a hassle to change air reservations, dates, etc.

By the looks of it, this promotion they're offering is very popular and is doing a good job of doing just what it was intended to do -- filling up their ships for the year. I booked a cruise with Celebrity for next December at a reasonable price with a nice plus (and you don't have to choose the beverage package, there are other options, like OBC or prepaid gratuities).

Because I have limited vacation time, that's one trip for the year already accounted for, and I won't be "surfing" HAL or Princess or anyone else for specials in December as my plans are set.

Celebrity has VERY good pricing early on. HAL need to see the value in it.

Archived