Advice needed

lionking1969

My wife and I are planning to take a cruise this summer and we are trying to decide between going on the Conquest, that leaves out of New Orleans and goes to Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel or the Valor that leaves out of San Juan and goes to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. I am a little concerned about the number of stops and lack of sea days on the Valor, even though, I believe these would be amazing places to visit. If you have been on either of these two cruises I would appreciate any advice you could give about the ship, ports, etc. Thanks

The ships are sister ships so they are essential identical other than decor. We have sailed Conquest three times, once from Nola and twice from Galveston. The Roatan, Belize, Cozumel itinerary is one of our favorites. We have not sailed Carnival from San Juan but we have sailed port-intensive itineraries including the islands on the Valor itinerary.

You are right the port intensive itineraries can be exhausting if you plan to do trips at each stop. We will usually decide on one of the middle stops to be a rest day and break up the trip. We will probably spend some time ashore but not book any excursions or just something simple and short. We just enjoy the ship that day which is nice when uncrowded. Another consideration is airfare. From Arkansas you can drive to Nola, flying to Puerto Rico will require more time and money.

I think both ships are worth considering. They both sail to some of my very favorite ports. Just decide whether the inconvenience of getting to San Juan is worth it to you and pace yourself if you choose that route.

i have been to the ports on the conquest itinerary, and for the most part, i didnt find some of them to be anything special (roatan and belize).

we are booked on the valor later this year, and i cannot wait for those ports.

my vote is for the valor, ports vs ports, i think its just the better cruise! plus, you get to spend some time in san juan before or after your trip - consider that a bonus port!!

I can't comment on the itinerary choices but I would like to thank you for spelling advice and St. Maarten correctly. :D

LOL!!

I would pick the Valor, mostly because I did!! Im going in May. If you prefer more at sea days, just stay on the ship! You cant go wrong with options!!

I have actually done both iteneraries and I like them both. If you choose the Conquest, you absolutely have to book an excursion in Belize. Mahogany Bay is one of my favorite ports ever, but Cozumel is a little to "touristy" for me. Not much unique in my opinion, but my DH likes to visit there a lot.

I did the Valor itinerary on the Victory and we loved it. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are gorgeous and the other islands are beautiful as well. The lack of sea days didn't really matter much to us even though we normally like to have a few. I would probably choose the Valor over the Conquest because the Valor has more of a variety of ports and experiences. Plus, leaving from Puerto Rico is nice because you also get to enjoy a day there if you fly in early/later.

Thank each of you for the advice. I am just concerned with so many stops on the Valor that it may be more work than pleasure:) It would be hard to stay on the ship and miss seeing things at each port but I guess that's the sacrifice that may have to be made. With that being said which port would you recommend staying on the ship and which one is a must see?

I understand what you mean. Definitely get off the boat in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. St. Kitts has a beautiful beach close to the dock. I can't remember the name of it exactly, but we just took a taxi, stayed for 4 hours and got back on the ship so it made for a nice short day. Looking back, I wish we had stayed on the boat in St. Lucia. Our excursion wasn't fun and we didn't see anything breath taking. Just my experience though. Maybe some others could point you to the nicer parts of that island though.

I would also price out airfare first, and the cost of a hotel for the night before the cruise. It may make a difference.

thats they way I pick our cruises-- based on airfare-- times of flights, and hotel costs.

My vote's for the Valor. Thus far, that's been my favorite of all cruises. While flights into San Juan are generally more expensive than other departure ports, the added expense was worth it (imo). It's been my favorite based on the ports that we visited.

I've never been on the Conquest, but have done that itinerary twice. If you prefer alot of sea days, you can't go wrong with that option either.

Thank each of you for the advice. I am just concerned with so many stops on the Valor that it may be more work than pleasure:) It would be hard to stay on the ship and miss seeing things at each port but I guess that's the sacrifice that may have to be made. With that being said which port would you recommend staying on the ship and which one is a must see?

I agree with this. This is going to be my first cruise in May, and I feel like we're going to spend so much time in the ports, we won't get to experience what Carnival (or being on the ship) has to offer.

I am trying to convince DH that we should go on a pre-cruise cruise in Feb for 3 nights as "practice." He's not buying it :)

Archived