Sothern Caribbean snorkelling?

Justsbecruisin

Hello, we will be cruising the Caribbean with Adventures of the Seas in Feb 2013. Our ports of call are St. Croix. St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. We love a beach day and love snorkelling. I would love to try a beginners dive but have not had the courage yet. Can anyone recommend the best places to do these activities, best excursions booked through ship or on our own? Also must visit beaches? Thank you very much any info good or bad is appreciated.

Hello, we will be cruising the Caribbean with Adventures of the Seas in Feb 2013. Our ports of call are St. Croix. St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. We love a beach day and love snorkelling. I would love to try a beginners dive but have not had the courage yet. Can anyone recommend the best places to do these activities, best excursions booked through ship or on our own? Also must visit beaches? Thank you very much any info good or bad is appreciated.

We LOVED snorkeling between the Pitons in St. Lucia. We took a private island tour (sorry, can't remember the name of the company now . . . Spencer something?). The water is spectacular. The fish are amazing. The scenery is to die for. There are no boats. The shoreline is a protected national park. It's our favorite snorkeling spot ever.

We also took a private catamaran snorkeling tour in Barbados to see the turtles. I think there was the word "Moon" in the name of the company. Sorry, my memory sucks. Anyway, absolutely fabulous. The pic in my signature is from that excursion. You will LOVE it.

We have not ever dived. I can't offer any help there.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was beginning to wonder if I posted in the wrong spt or something b/c no one was replying to me. It seems many people are reading what I posted but no replies? Lol so thank you for that and both of the excursions you did sound great. We are thinking of doing both. I can't wait to go. Have you snorkelled in other ports? Thanks agin.:)

Between pursuing our careers and raising a family, my wife and I didn't start scuba diving until our our mid to late fifties. Seven years later, we are back to snorkelling as a medical issue now prevents her from diving. So if you love snorkelling and are comfortable in the water, I really urge you to take a beginner's dive. WARNING: Once you have, you may never be happy again "just" snorkelling! :D

Barbados: We will be visiting for the first time in February and have booked with Calabaza Sailing Cruises. I'm not sure that the snorkelling sites are particularly great, but they have a very good reputation. Take a look on TA.

St. Lucia: So many options! We've done just about every dive and snorkel site between Castries and the Pitons, but with Sandals, not a tour company. I suggest that you look at http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691997 for some ideas, particularly #8. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy your day.

I can't comment on the other ports of call, as we either haven't visited or haven't had snorkelling on the agenda.

Thanks for your reply. I came very close to booking a beginners scuba the other day. I am sure I would love it. My husband has dove 2 times before and I chose not too (silly me). Just afraid I would panic but I need to get over my fear and do it!!! Thanks for you reply. What day in Feb will you be in the Barbados? It is our last stop so March 1 st I believe is our day there. Have a blast and thanks again. :o

Thanks for your reply. I came very close to booking a beginners scuba the other day. I am sure I would love it. My husband has dove 2 times before and I chose not too (silly me). Just afraid I would panic but I need to get over my fear and do it!!! Thanks for you reply. What day in Feb will you be in the Barbados? It is our last stop so March 1 st I believe is our day there. Have a blast and thanks again. :o

We will be in Barbados on February 23, so our paths won't cross.

Many dive clubs and dive shops have intro nights at a local pool that will allow you to experience diving in a very limited way. You might want to try that if you don't book a dive during your trip, then take lessons, get certified and be ready for your next trip!:)

Have a great cruise!

I moved to scuba instead of snorkeling now, but my favorite snorkel experience happened at Buck Island off of St. Croix. Beautiful marine park. My family did a private boat trip that stopped at the island for a few hours so that we could enjoy the beautiful beach. Several years previously we did the same trip with a larger group on a catameran.

I second all of the comments about St. Lucia also. I have not snorkeled there, but the scuba is great and many people snorkel close to the shore near the Pitons.

Those are my two favorite spots.

Sorry also wanted to ask you if you think either place would be good to do a beginners dive? My son and I have never dove but are entertained yet nervous by the idea? Thanks again. :)

I did the Intro to Scuba dive in St Thomas (Buck Island) It hooked me on Scuba and now I'm counting down the days to my first Caribbean dive after my certification.

Sorry also wanted to ask you if you think either place would be good to do a beginners dive? My son and I have never dove but are entertained yet nervous by the idea? Thanks again. :)

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I did discover scuba in St. Lucia through the same operation who does the regular dives (Scuba St. Lucia) . You take a boat ride to the resort in Soufriere and then take a short course before you intro to scuba diving. It got me hooked. My husband and I had no issues despite our nerves. My 15yr old daughter could not clear her ears and could not dive.

Now that I just dove with N2 the Blue in St. Croix, I would also highly recommend them for discover scuba. I do not know if they offer this for cruise passengers, but it is worth a try. They are located right near the pier and it is an easy walk. They do not dive Buck Island, but the sites were great right near the ship. If you can't get in in St. Lucia it is another great option.

Thanks so much for your help. Did you prefer the smaller private excursion over the catamaran one? I am wondering if we should book ahead of time with the ship or wait until we get to port and book privately? What are your thoughts?

Both were excellent. Logistics were difficult in St Croix getting to the other side of the island for the private trip. The taxi driver did not know where she was going and we were about thirty minutes late. I really enjoy the private excersions, but you would definately be advised to schedule ahead for St. Croix. I like to make sure I have everything planned (unless I plan to sit on the beach) so I always schedule ahead for non-ship activities. Enjoy!

Was at st Martin Antigua st Lucia and Barbados in April 2012. Snorkeled in st Martin with creole rock adventures, in st Lucia with Spencer's (only 1 hour of day long tour and in Barbados with a company I won't name cause they did not show up. No snorkeling in Antigua but great beaches just to hang out with. Go to,trip advisor, type in each island and they will give you lots of places and web cites. Just stay away in Barbados from the place who has the name of a cat in their web cite. Creole rock was the best of the three followed by Spencer's, who takes you to soufrie. Went to valley church beach in Antigua.

Hope this helps

Marsha

I solved the St Croix transportation problem by booking with the cruise ship.:p

The snorkeling was magnificent, a cathedral like experience.

I don't recall the number in our group, but we fit in a standard "dive" boat, not a catamaran.

• 3 weeks later...

for st lucia HERRODS tour is a must. tour is 6-7 hours you have to have a min of 10 people and max of 24 people . we posted about his tour on our roll call he had three 24 passenger bus on the tour we went on. you get your moneys worth and more (his mom made a buffet lunch at her house. anything to see in st lucia you see on his tour. next time i am in st lucia i will be doing his tour again

Tour Type

Personal Guided & Hosted, Combination Motor/Walking/Water Taxi Tour With Scheduled Meal & Activities (Min.10 Adult/22 Max. Group)

Tour Duration: 6.0 - 7.0 hours

What To Bring

Swimsuits & Towels, Camera/Video, Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Hat, Walking & Water Shoes, Snorkel Gear (Rentals US$11/set addtl.)

Tour Times

Daily SchedulePreferences Made For Cruise Guests Each Day Ships Are in Port

7:00 A.M. Ship Arrival in Port, Tour Departs 8:30 A.M.

9:00 A.M. Ship Arrival in Port, Tour Departs 9:30 A.M.

10:00 A.M. Ship Arrival in Port, Tour Departs 10:30 A.M.

Private Tours Start Same Schedule Noted Above Days When Ships In Port

Accommodations To Resident Clients Made According to Fleet and Staff Availability, Prior Bookings Fulfilled First, Always On Space Available Basis (option to join Cruise groups)

Tour Highlights

Before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship. This is a grand continuation of the popular "Sourfriere Island Delight" Tour, with extra special features included. You will be treated to abundant samples of fresh sweet bananas, fresh-baked Creole bread, coconut cakes, Johnny Cakes, fish cakes, and other St. Lucian delicacies throughout the tour. Complimentary water, beers, assorted sodas, rum punch, and other refreshments will be available during the course of the tour for your enjoyment. You will have multiple opportunities to swim, bask in our tropical sun, and to snorkel in the clear blue pristine waters so accalimed world-wide at the best beach on the island, nestled between the Pitons. Folowing this respite, you will treated to a sumptuous authentic Creole buffet in an exclusivly tranquil setting before resuming an amazing coastal tour as you are Water-Taxied portside to your ship. Points of Interest And Activites Included

• Tour begins in at your door or portside of your vessel with an introductory motor tour of Castries, Capital of St. Lucia, with an informative and lively narrative history that will leave you with the feeling that you are on familiar grounds.

• Derek Walcott Square, full of history and one of the venues for St. Lucia’s World Famous Jazz Festival

• St. Lucia War Memorial, one of the few official monuments on the Island

• The Renowned Samaan Tree (reportedly more than 400 years old)

• Overlook Stop at Morne Fortune (Northern St. Lucia) and the Port area; breathtaking ‘Kodak Moments’

• The Government House (19th century Victorian residence of the Governor General)

• Marigot Bay (location of the 1966 Rex Harrison movie “Dr. Doolittle,” St. Lucia’s ARC and other Yachting events, and trusted safe harbor from hurricanes)

• Drive through the largest banana plantation in St. Lucia and not tour the largest banana plantation.

• Walking Stops at both Canaries and Anse La Raye, two charming and singular fishing villages that will allow you to marvel at the unique micro-cultures that is St. Lucia; you will see the striking fishing canoes that are used to this day to fish daily; have time to casually tour and shop these memorable towns; enjoy a timely complimentary sampling of local breads and cakes and other refreshments

• Descend on toward one of St. Lucia’s first settlements, old French town Soufriere (first Capital and today 3rd largest Town), the island’s first coaling station and economic port, famous for abundant Night Life opportunities

• On the outskirts of Soufriere, stop at the “Cold Falls” for a refreshing swim in the crystal clear pool beneath a waterfall amidst the lush surrounding beauty

• The botanical Gardens at Toraille is an excellent place to immerse yourself in the stunning beauty of St. Lucia flora and fauna, and to understand how important a role it plays in the life this Island Paradise; Opportunity to sample Big Mama’s Johnny and Fish Cakes at this singularly exquisite locale

• Adventure continues to Sulphur Springs, the world’s only drive-thru/walk thru active volcano, one of St. Lucia’s most notable National Parks; you will smell your approach, and the distinctive pungent aroma is reputed to relieve sinusitis and pressure (definitely a “Kodak Moment’)

• Along the way are opportunities to see and take picture of the famous “Sisters of St. Lucia,” the Pitons - the most recognizable landmark throughout the Caribbean, rising majestically above 2600 feet stubbornly at the water’s edge.

• Continue toward the Pitons to the water’s edge to enjoy more refreshing swimming and optional snorkeling in some of the best waters of all St. Lucia (and reportedly the Caribbean). Marvel at the abundant squid, grouper, parrot fish, and the many beautiful varieties of abundant underwater life in the clear blue Caribbean Sea that embraces St. Lucia.

• After being rejuvenated by the abundance of Lucian Magic, you will be whisked away to a secluded respite to enjoy a specailly prepared sumptuous authentic Creole buffet luncheon, guaranteed to inspire much storytelling for years to come!

• Only a few minutes drive to the docks in Soufrriere where you will meet our perfectly appointed 32 foot twin 250 HP outboard boat and your professional Captain who will continue your touring along our mesmerizing coast. You will experience the strange and wonderful Bat Caves, local history, and much more.

• Your time as our guest will seem to come too soon, even though we shared a good part of your special day in St. Lucia. After much laughter, smiles, and singularly treasured experiences, the tour concludes as your Water Taxi delivers you safely portside to your ship timely, rested, and officially a Member of the Greater St. Lucia family!

Archived