Review of Norwegian Epic December 15-22, 2012

TerpGirl77

Hi everyone,

I'm recently back from a wonderful trip on the Norwegian Epic and wanted to write a review here. For the regulars, you may remember my review of the Norwegian Star to Bermuda (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666352) from this summer and since it was so fun the first time around I thought I'd do it again!

SPOILER ALERT: There are no Mr. Handsome incidents on this trip -- thankfully!

Just a little bit about me -- I'm a 35 year old living in Washington, DC. I have a very demanding career and these past few months have been especially grueling with the Presidential election, ballot initiatives, fiscal cliffs and an aggravating knee injury that won't seem to heal -- SUPER FUN.

I've fallen in love with cruising and doing it solo. For me it's the ultimate indulgence and a real opportunity to log-off, forget about the stress of daily life and career, sleep well, eat well, be well and relax.

I read a quote a few weeks before I departed for the Epic and it became my motto for this trip: "A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in.”

So off we go, here's one solo travelers take on the fabulous Norwegian Epic. I hope you like it!

P.S. I didn't take lots of photos like some of the other folks here -- I'm envious that you remember to be so detailed. I just couldn't get it together, plus having my phone out of the safe was too tempting for me to check e-mail and log back into the real world!

Hi everyone,

I'm recently back from a wonderful trip on the Norwegian Epic and wanted to write a review here. For the regulars, you may remember my review of the Norwegian Star to Bermuda (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1666352) from this summer and since it was so fun the first time around I thought I'd do it again!

SPOILER ALERT: There are no Mr. Handsome incidents on this trip -- thankfully!

Just a little bit about me -- I'm a 35 year old living in Washington, DC. I have a very demanding career and these past few months have been especially grueling with the Presidential election, ballot initiatives, fiscal cliffs and an aggravating knee injury that won't seem to heal -- SUPER FUN.

I've fallen in love with cruising and doing it solo. For me it's the ultimate indulgence and a real opportunity to log-off, forget about the stress of daily life and career, sleep well, eat well, be well and relax.

I read a quote a few weeks before I departed for the Epic and it became my motto for this trip: "A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in.”

So off we go, here's one solo travelers take on the fabulous Norwegian Epic. I hope you like it!

P.S. I didn't take lots of photos like some of the other folks here -- I'm envious that you remember to be so detailed. I just couldn't get it together, plus having my phone out of the safe was too tempting for me to check e-mail and log back into the real world!

Can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing!

If you're Type-A personality like me, planning for the trip is almost as much fun as actually going on the trip. This go around when I booked the Epic in October, it simply wasn't the case -- life was about working 80 hours weeks plus weekends, spending endless hours on planes and in airports and sleeping with my Blackberry (I really hate it when it falls into the little space between my mattress and my headboard).

With all of the "blah" of the rat race and the rush of getting ready for Christmas I distinctly remember the feeling of a few weeks ago and I wish I could bottle it. I woke up on the morning on Wednesday, December 11 and it was if someone had given me an adrenaline shot overnight -- "Hey crazy lady, you're going on vacation starting FRIDAY, that's two days from now, GET EXCITED!"

I floated through the next two days and even left the office at 6pm to get home and finish up Christmas decorations and gift wrapping, last minute Target run for travel items, pulling out summer clothes, packing, laundry, ironing and the all important mani-pedi.

After a great holiday lunch with my team on Friday, I was off to the airport and Miami (lights out folks, no work until 2013!).

There's something about Miami that always makes me feel like the most unfashionable (yes, I wore a cardigan on the plane) but most alive person ever. I simply love the international feel, the shockingly good looking people, the architecture and the overall vibe of the city. I landed late, checked into the Intercontinental Miami, ordered room service and settled in for the night.

TERP GIRL TIP: The Intercontinental Miami is a terrific pre cruise hotel. Even thought it's not in South Beach where the party/action is, it's less than a 10-minute taxi ride to the Pier, has a very modern decor and vibe, huge rooms and luxurious baths and a great bar and pool. Be sure to ask for a room on a high floor facing the Pier. I woke up early on Saturday morning and saw a bunch of ships coming in. Very cool.

Welcome back, TerpGirl! Loved your Bermuda review. I took copious notes for our Star cruise in Oct. and we will sail the Epic in Nov., so I have my pen and paper handy. Looking forward to another entertaining and informative review!

If you're Type-A personality like me, planning for the trip is almost as much fun as actually going on the trip. This go around when I booked the Epic in October, it simply wasn't the case -- life was about working 80 hours weeks plus weekends, spending endless hours on planes and in airports and sleeping with my Blackberry (I really hate it when it falls into the little space between my mattress and my headboard).

With all of the "blah" of the rat race and the rush of getting ready for Christmas I distinctly remember the feeling of a few weeks ago and I wish I could bottle it. I woke up on the morning on Wednesday, December 11 and it was if someone had given me an adrenaline shot overnight -- "Hey crazy lady, you're going on vacation starting FRIDAY, that's two days from now, GET EXCITED!"

I floated through the next two days and even left the office at 6pm to get home and finish up Christmas decorations and gift wrapping, last minute Target run for travel items, pulling out summer clothes, packing, laundry, ironing and the all important mani-pedi.

After a great holiday lunch with my team on Friday, I was off to the airport and Miami (lights out folks, no work until 2013!).

There's something about Miami that always makes me feel like the most unfashionable (yes, I wore a cardigan on the plane) but most alive person ever. I simply love the international feel, the shockingly good looking people, the architecture and the overall vibe of the city. I landed late, checked into the Intercontinental Miami, ordered room service and settled in for the night.

TERP GIRL TIP: The Intercontinental Miami is a terrific pre cruise hotel. Even thought it's not in South Beach where the party/action is, it's less than a 10-minute taxi ride to the Pier, has a very modern decor and vibe, huge rooms and luxurious baths and a great bar and pool. Be sure to ask for a room on a high floor facing the Pier. I woke up early on Saturday morning and saw a bunch of ships coming in. Very cool.

Just read your STAR review/story Girlfriend.......LOVED IT!!!!!!!

I did a STAR trip with 2 buddies about 3 years ago now. It was fantastic too although our's was more like The Hangover movie as compared to your suspense novel with Mr. Slimey.

But we can say, and will always remember the joy of, on the last day, after eating and drinking everything we could for 7 days.....WINNING THE BLACKOUT BINGO!!!!!!!

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!! MOOOOOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 idiots, who didn't leave their cabin until 4pm on the final Day 7 (and weren't going to), first time into the Bingo room all week, and we hit the BIG one!!!! Now let me tell ya, the age 65+ members who were there ALL WEEK LONG, investing their hard earned cash, were NOT impressed with US! But hey, somebody had to win it all, so why NOT us?!?!

Heading onto the EPIC in March for hopefully, more good fortunes!!!!

WOLFPACK forever!!!!! LOL!

Looking forward to your review as we will be on EPIC for first time in a few weeks. Just wanted to agree with your comments on the Intercontinental and the charm of seeing your ship come into port. Also would recommend the JW MarriottMiami and will be trying the Conrad before our EPIC trip.

Looking forward to your review as we will be on EPIC for first time in a few weeks. Just wanted to agree with your comments on the Intercontinental and the charm of seeing your ship come into port. Also would recommend the JW MarriottMiami and will be trying the Conrad before our EPIC trip.

Bring earplugs for the Conrad - no semblance of soundproofing at all - it's like there's no door with elevator and hallway sounds all night. The Illy espresso machine is nice though!

I haven't even gotten thru your opening paragraph yet, lol. But because its you I'm subscribing now.

:-).

PS

I'm sad that there's no Mr. Handsome, but not really because of how everything came to light. Sigh.

PSS

We'll be on Epic 12/07.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived