Review: Carnival Mediterranean 12-Night Cruise

Hi sailawaybellaluna,

thank you for the review!

We will be on the Sunshine soon for a very similar itinerary and I am curently compiling information for DIY tours. Messina is a concern to me. It seems that public transportation is not very reliable there. I am wondering what you did in this port. I am thinking to go to Taormina with my husband and two kids (11 and 9 years old). Is the tour offered by Carnival a best option?

Thanks!

Thanks for reading along!

I did touch on Messina a bit (You can see it starts with post #81 on page 5 of this review).

I guess it depends on what you're looking for from your experience. We've traveled to Italy quite a bit and really enjoy Rome OR the quiet quaint villages and hilltowns of Umbria, Abruzzo, etc. Taormina doesn't really fall into either category, so we didn't particularly love it.

Here's why: yes, the ancient theater and the views of Mt. Etna are interesting and fun to see, but it kind of feels like a "little Italy" in Disneyland or something. It is SO CROWDED. As in, there were 8 or 9 Carnival coach buses that all arrived at the same time, and we spent an enormous amount of time disembarking the bus and waiting in the line for the elevators that take you from the underground parking structure to the main walking street of the town. Everything was in English, there were some chain shops that you'd see anywhere in Europe - Rome, Barcelona, Paris, etc. It just felt crowded and chaotic and overpriced.

We ate at a local restaurant outside and just felt it was kind of Meh...

If you're really interested in ancient theaters or photographing Mt. Etna, it may be a good tour for you. And, on the plus side, it's very reasonably priced to do it through Carnival. But I wouldn't do it again and I wouldn't recommend it as the best choice.

I have heard a lot of great things about the Godfather Tour..

Enjoy the Sunshine!!!

Hi! Love reading your review and looking at all your pictures! My family will be on the Sunshine in July out of Barcelona on a very similar itinary. My question is this.....how wide are the wall in Dubrovnik? I have read some mixed reviews where people loved it or basically said it was too crowded, no railings, and difficult to walk. This is something I would love to do, but not sure if it will stress me out too much if the wall isn't very wide.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

Hi! Love reading your review and looking at all your pictures! My family will be on the Sunshine in July out of Barcelona on a very similar itinary. My question is this.....how wide are the wall in Dubrovnik? I have read some mixed reviews where people loved it or basically said it was too crowded, no railings, and difficult to walk. This is something I would love to do, but not sure if it will stress me out too much if the wall isn't very wide.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

We LOVED walking the walls in Dubrovnik. I think the key is to either do it very early in the morning, or, around 1pm when the weather is getting hot and people want to stop and eat lunch. We weren't going to do it at all, and then had a change of heart and went around 1pm. It really wasn't crowded at all. We didn't worry about our son - he did great walking around! I'm very claustrophobic and hate crowds and really enjoyed it (if that says anything). The width wasn't an issue at all - it varies a bit, but nothing you'd need to squeeze by. I could easily have laid down horizontally between the walls and still had room...

Initially it might be a bit crowded after you buy your tickets and ascend the stairs to begin the walk. Everyone will be in awe of the view and it bottlenecks a bit. But soon everyone will disperse and start "walking the walls" at different speeds, and you'll really enjoy it! Please do it!

Oh, and you don't have walk the entire thing - there are several points along the wall where you can exit and enter different portions of the village if you get tired.

Have a wonderful time on the Sunshine! I wish I was going too! :)

• 1 year later...
Thanks for bringing your review back up. Great review with some great photos! We just booked the inaugural sailing of the Vista in the Mediterranean. Can't wait and your review just revved our juices up some more!

So exciting, Trippingpara! We are looking at a 10-day in June. I just need to finalize and actually book!

Planning a trip to Europe in 2018 for my 50th birthday. This thread is very helpful. I have a few years to brush up on my photography skills. You have definitely inspired me. My daughter has the T3. We got it for her 18th birthday a few years ago. She is looking to upgrade, so I may get the hand me down. (hopefully):D

• 1 month later...
Planning a trip to Europe in 2018 for my 50th birthday. This thread is very helpful. I have a few years to brush up on my photography skills. You have definitely inspired me. My daughter has the T3. We got it for her 18th birthday a few years ago. She is looking to upgrade, so I may get the hand me down. (hopefully)

Hi ThePhoenixx,

Thanks for reading along! Planning is probably my favorite part of any cruise or vacation, and I love having lots of time to plan! Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to and plan for your big 50th!! (And I hope your daughter gives up her camera before your big trip)! :p

That was a great review. We did the same cruise on the Magic in 2011 and we loved it. After seeing all the great pictures you took makes me want to go back and do it again. And I think we will, that would be a great 35 year wedding anniversary cruise.

I just came across your signature yesterday I think? And have already read all of your reviews. Thanks so much for doing them! Your son is absoultely adorable and you have a BEAUTIFUL family! We love traveling with our little ones and making such lifelong memories! Great reviews!

So exciting, Trippingpara! We are looking at a 10-day in June. I just need to finalize and actually book!

I just read your review and found it to be very helpful and your photography skills are amazing! I noticed that you'll be on the Vista in 2016 and I was really hoping we'd be on the same sailing. Alas, I'm taking the 10-day Athens-Barcelona in September. I really wanted to meet you/get photography tips from you on the ship. Haha! At least now I can read your review and get more tips before my trip.

Thank you so much for posting your review. It was great! :)

Thanks for the review. I had a great time looking at your wonderful pictures. Looks like you all had fun! Just booked our first Med cruise for July 2016. Our daughter is going to be 8 years old by that time.

You'll be getting on right as I get off! I'm already so excited!!!:)

• 2 months later...

Re-reading my old review from nearly 3 years ago, because I am planning for our Europe cruise on the Vista!

While cruising on the Vista, I will have my birthday in Messina, Sicily...If you read this review, you'll know I didn't love that port...

Any recommendations? Thank you!

If you're looking to purchase something very special in Dubrovnik, I'd recommend the handmade jewelry. The Konavle style jewelry is intricate and beautiful. I bought a pair of solid sterling silver earrings and a matching pendant from a family in a tiny (old) jewelry shop. They made the jewelry as had their parents and grandparents. The shop had been there nearly 150 years! I paid around $100 for all three items and they're probably my most treasured souvenir from the cruise. A pic of the shop:

IMG_0182-001_zpsef8322f2.jpg

Next up: Lunch & Walking the Walls!

Thanks so much for this informative review and the fab pics. My husband and I have never done the Med and I am starting my research for 2017 (Spring hopefully) before it gets too hot.

Thank you for the book recommendation (Rick Steves'), I will purchase it to help with my planning. My issue is the flight over and back. I am tall and just can't do coach unless it is an airline with more leg room than American.

Your black and white pic of the Coliseum was my fave so far.

Thanks again

...My husband and I have never done the Med and I am starting my research for 2017 (Spring hopefully) before it gets too hot...

Hello Lisa H - If you're still in the research stage might I suggest that you take a look at another review attached below (Sea Trek I) as it too is packed with great info for anyone who either has not or even has sailed the Mediterranean before.

Hello Lisa H - If you're still in the research stage might I suggest that you take a look at another review attached below (Sea Trek I) as it too is packed with great info for anyone who either has not or even has sailed the Mediterranean before.

Awesome, will do!

Thanks so much for this informative review and the fab pics. My husband and I have never done the Med and I am starting my research for 2017 (Spring hopefully) before it gets too hot.

Thank you for the book recommendation (Rick Steves'), I will purchase it to help with my planning. My issue is the flight over and back. I am tall and just can't do coach unless it is an airline with more leg room than American.

Your black and white pic of the Coliseum was my fave so far.

Thanks again

Thanks LisaH for reading along! Spring 2017 will be a wonderful time to go!

I'm not tall, but I hate flying too. We use airline miles for most of our flights, so we go coach...I have lucked out with a few transatlantic first class flights though, which were awesome!

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to give my old review a little bump up in the threads since Carnival has returned to Europe! I'm back on CruiseCritic researching our trip on the Vista next year, and noticed quite a few others doing the same! So I thought this may be helpful since there are a few ports that are the same!

• 6 months later...

Great review and pictures! Your son is too cute.

I found your review because you posted on someone's question about Lucca and Pisa. We also purchased Rick Steves' Med Ports and we're planning to DIY Lucca/Pisa and Rome. Did you travel with your parents? If so, was it hard to get a taxi for 5 people from Livorno's dock to the train station? And did I read correctly that it was only 40 euros from Pisa to the Livorno dock? If so, that doesn't sound bad at all!

Also, where did you sign up to receive airfare alerts? I couldn't find anything with narrowboat.

Great review and pictures! Your son is too cute.

I found your review because you posted on someone's question about Lucca and Pisa. We also purchased Rick Steves' Med Ports and we're planning to DIY Lucca/Pisa and Rome. Did you travel with your parents? If so, was it hard to get a taxi for 5 people from Livorno's dock to the train station? And did I read correctly that it was only 40 euros from Pisa to the Livorno dock? If so, that doesn't sound bad at all!

Also, where did you sign up to receive airfare alerts? I couldn't find anything with narrowboat.

Thanks for reading, Vinotinto!

We actually did Lucca/Pisa on our own without my parents, so the taxi was pretty straightforward. And yes, we paid 40 Euros from Pisa to the ship in Livorno!

The airfare alerts I had set up are on Kayak. Good luck!

Thanks for reading, Vinotinto!

We actually did Lucca/Pisa on our own without my parents, so the taxi was pretty straightforward. And yes, we paid 40 Euros from Pisa to the ship in Livorno!

The airfare alerts I had set up are on Kayak. Good luck!

LOL, now it all makes sense! Thank you!