Best time to book Caribbean? (NCL Sun)

QuattroRomeo

We haven't been on NCL since 2005. Since so many things have changed in the last few years on all of the lines, and, there are so many positive experiences expressed from recent NCL CCers, we are considering booking a NCL Sun cruise (Caribbean) in Dec 2013. Our preference would be for a balcony, probably BA category. January is generally a good month for cruise fares and I can see various NCL offers through online TAs for either added OBCs, coupon books, or hotel rooms. I understand that booking 9+ months out also means double loyalty points. A few questions:

- in your experience is booking early for NCL likely to be a good rate? I know there can be last minute sales if they aren't selling out but you can never count on that

- are double loyalty points awarded whether you book through NCL directly or with a TA?

- are there still no shareholder credit programs?

- what sort of coupons are in those coupon books? I did a search here and it seems that they are not particularly spectacular

- have I missed any other variables?

Would really appreciate your opinions!

We haven't been on NCL since 2005. Since so many things have changed in the last few years on all of the lines, and, there are so many positive experiences expressed from recent NCL CCers, we are considering booking a NCL Sun cruise (Caribbean) in Dec 2013. Our preference would be for a balcony, probably BA category. January is generally a good month for cruise fares and I can see various NCL offers through online TAs for either added OBCs, coupon books, or hotel rooms. I understand that booking 9+ months out also means double loyalty points. A few questions:

- in your experience is booking early for NCL likely to be a good rate? I know there can be last minute sales if they aren't selling out but you can never count on that

- are double loyalty points awarded whether you book through NCL directly or with a TA?

- what sort of coupons are in those coupon books? I did a search here and it seems that they are not particularly spectacular

I think you will see a lot of differences in the NCL of today versus the one from 2005. I know when we sailed NCL in 2004, I swore I would never set foot on one of their ships. Fast forward to 2009 a brilliant 14-night cruise around South America on the Sun, I was eating my words. I seek NCL out first and foremost.

No, there are no shareholder credit programs.

Coupon books are worthless. You will see the same offers most of the time in the Freestyle Daily.

Makes no difference where you book regarding the Latitudes points.

A lot of people love to book early so they do get the double points or on board credit. We don't plan that far in advance. I would like to but it just hasn't happened. I would not wait too book as this itinerary is pretty popular.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

We have most often booked about 3-4 months out on other lines and did well with rates that way, but since this is a smaller ship (which we do like) the available choices will go more quickly, and the points thing is attractive too, so thought we might have to act faster on this one. As you said, we can always watch for rate drops later. Some cruise lines seem to have more predictable patterns than others!

First let me say I'm going to be a first time cruiser with NCL. I was checking prices for the Sun's 11 day cruise and I found that Their October rate was $400 less than the same itinerary in March. I wanted to cruise in October anyway since it's our anniversary but thought that might help you decide.

We did an 11 day cruise on the Dawn this last March....the weather was great, not too hot (mid 80s). You will enjoy NCL, the crew is exceptional, and the ports of call are great as well. Haven't been on the Sun as yet, we like the smaller ships too. Whatever time of year you choose, you will enjoy the cruise. If you can book early do it.

Edited by Oldgoat61

We use to sail with HAL but their service went down so much we found we were miserable on their cruises and the prices were so high. I nearly quit sailing but hubby got me to try NCL and darlin' I am hooked. We book the family suite for what we were paying HAL for a Deluxe Suite in Europe. NCL treats us like royalty, and we were shocked at how much they gave extra from a gingerbread house on Christmas day in Moracco, to chocolate dipped strawberries delivered to our room. We have sailed with them a lot now and big fans of the HAVEN. It isn't on the smaller ships but boy once you do them it is hard to just go to the suite again. Epic had an outstanding Haven, but the Pearl was excellent too and the staff on all are outstanding.

I did find some prices lower but depends on if it is high season when you go of course. We have booked most times a year or two out and used the pre booking coupons I think we paid $100 not sure but got $250 applied to our pay off, we just used one to book a cruise on the Star in April. Also they have lower prices on very few cabins offered in Feb after those Christmas sales are over.

Come on over to NCL you will not be sorry! Oh and if you do the larger ships like Epic if you book a lower inside cabin I have read it is not so pleasant. Their web page also says they promise the lowest price.

Have fun!

We usually book in the spring for January Caribbean cruises, so around 9 months out. Consistently we've found that to be the best prices up until about three weeks before sailing. The OBC offers that come along later often also arrive with a base price hike, so it's a wash. Look for spring sales that offer a free upgrade, and I think you'll find that's a great time to book.

In March, 2012, a group of us booked rooms. 7 Day Caribbean in mid-January was $699 for a balcony with an "in category" upgrade (you basically get a higher deck for free). $459 midship inside with an "in category" upgrade. I've followed the prices pretty carefully all year for our inside and our friend's balcony. Prices NEVER got cheaper for their balcony, and in fact balconies were often showing as sold out throughout the year (and still are). In the last two weeks (we sail on the 13th), prices have dipped slightly for the inside, with non-midship cabins being around $400 and mid-ship lower deck cabins being $449. Upper deck midship insides are no longer available, so I couldn't take advantage of any price drops unless I wanted a forward or aft lower deck.

So if you care AT ALL about your room, earlier booking out is great for getting a solid deal. If you don't really care, just pick a sail date and wait until about three weeks out. Early December and mid to late January cruises always have cheap availability then.

Edited by weltek

We have found that booking far out for NCL is the best way to go because we have never seen a fare drop. Usually, the ships sell out and the fares go way up. Our 11 day Sun cruise (as an example) sold out of all balcony and suite cabin categories very early on. I had talked friends of ours into booking to come with us and when they saw only insides and OV's left, decided not to go. Currently there are only inside cabins remaining and they are priced the same as what we paid for a balcony.

Plus, getting double points when booking 9 months out is a nice little bonus.

Edited by halos

Book early, you can usually take advantage of rate changes if they do occur closer to sailing: waiting til last minute can get you a good rate, but maybe a poor cabin selection or maybe a ship that is close to sold out.

Book with a TA, you stand a better chance of getting perks, but just be certain the company has a good reputation.

any special value point systems, specials etc apply regardless how or who you book with.

The coupon books pretty well stink right now. I just printed ours out for our cruise next week and doubt we will use any of them...

Don't forget to check monthly to see if your cruise is featured as the Lattitudes Insider Offer. That will give you triple points if it is 9+ months in advance. That is what we did when we booked our upcoming 2013 Sun Cruise. It was featured as the offer last May.

If you want TA perks, but like the option of making your own changes and calling NCL directly with questions for as long as possible, you can book with NCL first, then transfer the ressie to a TA for their perks right before final payment.

Many thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestions and encouragement to go back to NCL! It does seem to us that the other lines, at least the ones we have been on, are getting less service-oriented while NCL gets better. Hard to ignore!

It does matter to us about the cabin location, so we will book now even though it seems like forever before we cruise! In the meantime, I'll spend the months ahead on roll call chats and looking into the airfares.. we have sailed out of FLL and Tampa before, but not Miami. I will have to read through more cruise reviews now to see whether to fly into FLL or Miami, and check the hotels, etc.

We have been to all of the ports before, so having a nice ship, good entertainment and great fellow passengers will be important to us. If the helpfulness and positivity of all of your replies are any indication, we are sure to have a great time!

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
Don't forget to check monthly to see if your cruise is featured as the Lattitudes Insider Offer. That will give you triple points if it is 9+ months in advance. That is what we did when we booked our upcoming 2013 Sun Cruise. It was featured as the offer last May.

If you want TA perks, but like the option of making your own changes and calling NCL directly with questions for as long as possible, you can book with NCL first, then transfer the ressie to a TA for their perks right before final payment.

I usually book through a TA and got perks and a slightly cheaper rate. However, I also enjoy working with NCL directly. I am thinking of booking a cruise for 12/14 (non-busy week). My understanding is that if I book a guarantee balcony now during their wave sale, it would bump me up in balcony category.

Question: If I switched this reso to a TA before the cruise to get their OBC or other perks would I lose the "upgraded" balcony that NCL assigns to me if booked now?

Thanks so much.

Barbara

I usually book through a TA and got perks and a slightly cheaper rate. However, I also enjoy working with NCL directly. I am thinking of booking a cruise for 12/14 (non-busy week). My understanding is that if I book a guarantee balcony now during their wave sale, it would bump me up in balcony category.

Question: If I switched this reso to a TA before the cruise to get their OBC or other perks would I lose the "upgraded" balcony that NCL assigns to me if booked now?

Thanks so much.

Barbara

I believe it would stay the same but be aware of all the rules associated with transferring.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq