Updated: Cruise Don't Forget List

Tandoorii

Come on! This is no more nonsense than you enjoying showering in the spa area! An awful lot of these items make my cruising so very enjoyable!! :D

I see that you have sailed the Caribbean Princess twice. We leave next week for the St. Thomas/St. Maartin cruise. Can we use our own laptop (which has a wireless card) without getting charged? Is it advisable to pack a bottle of wine in our suitcase, with a wine opener? Any advice for this ship? This is our first cruise and we are taking our 2 daughters who are in their early twenties.

Thanks.

I see that you have sailed the Caribbean Princess twice. We leave next week for the St. Thomas/St. Maartin cruise. Can we use our own laptop (which has a wireless card) without getting charged? Is it advisable to pack a bottle of wine in our suitcase, with a wine opener? Any advice for this ship? This is our first cruise and we are taking our 2 daughters who are in their early twenties.

Thanks.

Hi!

There is a charge for using your laptop. I checked into it once but I have forgotten how much it was. There would be a charge for using their computers also until you are a Platinum member. I wish I could remember how much it all costs. I'm sure you can call 1-800-Princess and ask. Or you might do a search here on Cruise Critic, I'm sure it has been a subject.

You might want to put your wine in a carry on bag. I've heard horror stories of seeing it leaking out of the bags!

We love the Caribbean Princess!! We have sailed her 3 times. You'll want to check out the deck over the Bridge. Go all the way forward on the Lido deck, past all the rooms and find the door that goes outside. It is a wonderful place in my opinion!!! The first night onboard is a wonderful seafood buffet in the Caribe cafe. Lobster and such. Every night after 11pm they serve steaks in the Caribe cafe, made to order from a menu, that are delicious! They say they are the same steaks they serve in the Steakhouse. I believe it they were wonderful!! You will want to make reservations for the "Movies Under the Stars" as soon as you get on board!!! The reservations are free and you can always turn your tickets back in if you decide not to go but they fill up fast so you'll want to book that right away, even before you go to the buffet for lunch!! :D

Hope you have a wonderful time!!! We loved it!!! :D Loved St. Thomas and St. Martin also!!! The Champayne Catamaran trip to St. John from St. Thomas was wonderful!!! The America's Cup sailing in St. Marteen was a once in a life time experience!!! Fabulous!!! I would choose to be the "iceberg watcher" if I did it again!! It was far too much work as a primary grinder, but would have been a wonderful experience to just enjoy the boat!! Those were our favorite excursions. Otherwise we just took tours of the islands.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!! Bon Voyage!! :D

Fantastic list -- thanks. The first time through I didn't catch that the shoe rack was for OTHER items -- I thought it was for people with shoe inventory management issues.

Anyone have recommendations on (inexpensive) walkie-talkies?

I just bought a 1-liter water bottle w/an insulated case (case unzips to remove water bottle for washing) with a shoulder strap and a closeable pocket to hold money, credit card, etc.

:cool: Not only was this a great list, but it was a fun read. Thanks for all your hard work. We live driving distance to San Diego, so the sky's the limit as to what I can bring, well at least what I can fit into my "Woody PT Cruiser". Thanks for the smile you put on my face while I was reading your list. Shirley

I read somewhere (not sure which board) but they pre-loaded their hanging shoe rack with all their goodies, then they just rolled it up. When they got to the ship they just unrolled it and hung. What a way to go........... I'm totally into the "pre-pack".

"Power stripfigure it out: MP3 player, digital camera, palm pilot, cell phone, drill, flashlight, GPS device and that blasted hair dryer (the one that comes with the ship is actually a fingernail polish dryer)...."

pray, do tell me about your drill.....

Leo Jay: We bought Cobra brand walkie-talkies at Costco. Can't remember the cost, but worth it and rechargable.

Love the shoe rack idea. Will definately use it!

Also...

- re: Alcohol...since vodka and light rum are a fav, we have found water bottles are great containers for these. :D

- If you want water, and don't want to lug it on, buy it in port. Cheaper than the stuff on board.

- Some cruise lines have guest laundry facilities on certain decks. Ask your TA before you go. Also, if you forget detergent, as the reception desk for some. If you get the "right" person, they won't charge you.

- agree ABSOLUTELY to give you room steward a partial tip on the first or second day. Especially after your initial "settling-in" requests, like for that extra queen-size pad to go on top your two double beds to remove that annoying bump in the middle.

And, folks, please don't use a lanyard. It's just embarassing for everyone. If you ARE using a lanyard, just stick the card in the money belt you've probably got strapped around your torso, too.

Happy Cruising!

Wow...It appears almost everything but the kitchen sink. I may have missed it but I always bring a few small flashlights whenever we travel. I would think they would come in especially handy on inside cabins and after a few libations:p

• 1 month later...

Tandoorii

I just joined and posted for the first time. Thankyou for the list of good advice i have just read. Every little bit helps with planning a cruise. Thanks again Sessa

Great job! Already copied and pasted your list in Word to edit to check against my last tirp checklist. I guess it's the Girl Scout in me to be prepared for any contigency.

I wasn't aware that lanyards have become an "embarassment". That wasn't the case on our cruise last summer, in any case. You can get them in the jewelry dept. of Walmart. Maybe that's why it's an embarassment.:rolleyes:

I also recommend getting the tags with the strings attached. Two cruises ago I used bright green 1 inch ones and wrote our cabin on several and attached to our daughter's toys, my camera bag and purse, whatever I could. Last cruise was more complicated with train trips, hotels, cruise. Bought larger ones (3 inch) and used the computer to print labels with travel info and a contact number (cell phone) on them.

Hey, this is my first post on this web site ever!! I have been on Windjammer site (the Flotilla), but not on the "big ship" site.

Loved the check list - saw several items that I'd not thought of. Thanks.

Now, about the over-the-door-shoe-holder. Is there any way to stick it on the back of the door on the closet? My daughter and I (and grandson) got a suite on the Norwegian Majesty and we have quite a closet. Do you think it could be modified to fit over the door in there or over one of the clothes hanger rails?

I am a super neat-nik and want to keep as much clutter under control as possible. Also, this holder is going to be used to house many of my grandson Max's dinosaur collection, a big part of which is coming with us. (He's 3-1/2).

Now, about the over-the-door-shoe-holder. Is there any way to stick it on the back of the door on the closet? My daughter and I (and grandson) got a suite on the Norwegian Majesty and we have quite a closet. Do you think it could be modified to fit over the door in there or over one of the clothes hanger rails?

Successfully solving this one is directly related to your degree of patience, flexibility and ability to adapt with things on hand.

The space between the door and the door frame on the bathroom door, as well as the closet, will be the first obstacle. The hooks that come with the shoe rack may be too thick to go over the door. Take a couple pair of long sneaker shoe laces along, tie into the groumet, over the door and around the door handle. You will likely have to re-size the shoe rack anyway. I was able to get two out of the one I had. Most are too long for this purpose.

Play around with it. Do it once and you'll have an idea how to handle other cabin applications. I've only used it twice, on NCL and Carnival. Each was totally different door construction. I suspect Princess will be different as well.

Once you've figured it out, you'll love it...especially for the dinosaurs!

Now, about the over-the-door-shoe-holder. Is there any way to stick it on the back of the door on the closet? My daughter and I (and grandson) got a suite on the Norwegian Majesty and we have quite a closet. Do you think it could be modified to fit over the door in there or over one of the clothes hanger rails? I am a super neat-nik and want to keep as much clutter under control as possible. Also, this holder is going to be used to house many of my grandson Max's dinosaur collection, a big part of which is coming with us. (He's 3-1/2).

You'll have to be prepared to modify the rack. They're long and you can cut two out of one, if you wish. The hooks that come with them may be too thick to clip over the door. Or, the door may be too think. I've seen both and I've yet to be able to use the hooks. Take along 2-3 pairs of long flat sneaker shoe strings and use them to hang the rack. Attach the string to the rack groumets, pull over the door and tie off on the door handle on the other side. Havent tried the closet door but it likely will be narrower than the bathroom door and you could possible use the hooks. Again, narrow door clearance for the thickness of the hooks might require some creative problem solving.

Once you figure it out, you'll be very happy that the dinosaurs are in their place!

That helps - I'm going to bring those sneaker ties and some good, old, dependable duct tape, too.

I have been on 2 cruises (NCL and RC) several years ago, but for the past 15 I have mostly sailed with Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. I just love them, especially the Mandalay with Capt. Matt, but I like the big ships, too, so I am really looking forward to this trip. I have a whole bunch of questions about the NCL Majesty, but I think I'll start another thread since this one is primarily concerned with what to bring. Again, thanks to all of you - great, great suggestions!

Happy Trails!

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I cannot find that Plastic Over the Door Shoe Rack anywhere! And I live in Miami!! You would think the dollar stores would be overrun with the shoeracks. The only shoe rack I can find are the woven scruffy feeling ones that are not see through!! It is driving me nuts!

Also I cannot find the big insulated mugs. The only thing I find are cheapo plastico sippy mugs! Or the itty bitty thermos coffee mugs! That's not enough room to fit a mixed drink in! It's driving me nuts!

Anyone else live in Miami, or anywhere for that matter, that knows where I can find the last two packing items on my list? Much thanks to those with suggestions!

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I cannot find that Plastic Over the Door Shoe Rack anywhere! And I live in Miami!! You would think the dollar stores would be overrun with the shoeracks. The only shoe rack I can find are the woven scruffy feeling ones that are not see through!! It is driving me nuts!

Also I cannot find the big insulated mugs. The only thing I find are cheapo plastico sippy mugs! Or the itty bitty thermos coffee mugs! That's not enough room to fit a mixed drink in! It's driving me nuts!

Anyone else live in Miami, or anywhere for that matter, that knows where I can find the last two packing items on my list? Much thanks to those with suggestions!

We got our clear plastic shoe rack at Wal-Mart. It is fabulous!! We've used it many times. I'd rather have one that will last as opposed to having to go find one at the dollar store every cruise! You find it where the hangars and closet items are at Wal-Mart. They are not expensive. I may have paid $7? I'm not sure but it wasn't too much and definitely worth every dollar I paid!!

We also got our large insulated mugs at Wal-Mart. They are great also!! Wouldn't cruise without them!! I know that the mugs will be harder to find than the shoe rack!! We've had our mugs for quite a while, but I saw some earlier this year at Wal-Mart that were really huge!! Ours are really large also, but the ones I saw had pockets, etc. on them. Great cruise mugs!!!! Good luck finding some!

We also bought a small cooler at Wal-Mart that we take and have the room steward keep it full of ice. Then we have lots of ice for our mugs, etc. Really love it too!!

Barbara :D