Updated: Cruise Don't Forget List

Tandoorii

We were on th inagurial sailing of the Carnival Glory a couple of years ago and needless to say they had to work out the kinks just a bit. The announcement speaker inside the cabin was going off with ALL yes ALL the announcments made, even the ones meant just for the crew all night. Yes that includes 2AM.

So about that time I DUCT-TAPED a large towel and plaxtic bag to the ceiling covering the speaker......Worked like a charm!!

There are many uses for duct tape from a cerified redneck from GA

I DUCT-TAPED a large towel and plaxtic bag to the ceiling covering the speaker......Worked like a charm!!

There are many uses for duct tape from a cerified redneck from GA

We did excatly the same thing on year!

Laughed myself silly reading your commentary!

One thing I tried for our Alaska cruise was to pack everything in zip lock baggies. You can get some quite large ones. I had heard that the luggage sometimes was left out on the dock in the rain. Of course we had beautiful weather and that wasn't an issue. However, I tried to cram everything into one big suitcase and it ended up weighing over 50 pounds, a no go when flying. Repacking into two suitcases was a snap because everything was in baggies. Have packed that way ever since. Also nice to know that the TSA folks aren't handling all your stuff when they search your bags--they can see everything. Good way to separate wet from dry on the way home, also dirty from clean. And some stuff you don't need to unpack--underwear & socks just live in their baggies (in a drawer or on a shelf) the whole trip. Just remove them as you use them.

A power strip is an absolute must on a cruise. Our steward even loved having it to plug the vacuum cleaner in! With iPods & cell phones and batteries needing to be charged and hair dryers & curling irons, you'll be glad you have it. Most valuable tip I ever read.

In the cold your camera batteries can lose life pretty fast. Each night we both pulled the batteries from our cameras and put them in their chargers on the power strip and loaded our cameras up with fresh batteries for the next day's adventures and photo ops (bring two sets). Then you won't have the experience I heard on our whale watch--my battery just ran out!

We are leaving soon for Alaska. I've used this packing list on our other two cruises. I may not pack everything on the list, but it sure serves as a nice check-off to jog my memory on things I might otherwise forget. Thanks so much for putting this together! I searched for it, although I have a printed copy, thinking others might like to see it! :D

We are leaving soon for Alaska. I've used this packing list on our other two cruises. I may not pack everything on the list, but it sure serves as a nice check-off to jog my memory on things I might otherwise forget. :D

Be sure to send me your newly discovered tips as well. I'm always editing and adding!

Bon Voyage...

I love the list. I thought I was OCD about packing:eek:. Now I've got more to take. This list is a "keeper"!

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Transidolls, I just checked and their is a thread started for your cruise on 9/17/07. Just go to the HOME page, click on Boards, then on ROLL CALL for RCI, Then look for Legend of the Seas. Then look for your date. It is there. Good luck hope you find the thread OK.

Thanks for the great list. Here is something to add.

We purchase bamboo beach mats at our local Dollar store. They are light weight, fit nicely into the bottom of suitcases (flat, not rolled) and they are handy when going to the beach. They keep the ship towels clean so you don't have to drag wet, sandy towels back with you. We leave them in the cabin when we disembark. This is especially great if you are renting a car in port and venturing out on your own. A soft sided, folding cooler with a "picnic" lunch provided by the ship, a few "cold ones" and you're guaranteed a great day!

Here is something to add.

We purchase bamboo beach mats at our local Dollar store...

Great idea. Will put it in the next edition. In the Caribbean you can find these mats in grocery or drug stores as well for a couple bucks if you can't find a cheap one at home.

Thanks for the addition.

Here's one more item I never leave home without....learned about it back in the days when I was a flight attendant-bring a flashlight and pack it with your carry on. You can get one of those nice little finger sized "Mag-lite" that works well.

You never know when the power will go out or when you will be stuck in the dark.

Our first cruise, we lost ALL power for the better part of a day. Since we had an inside room- the flash light really came in handy!!!

Happy Packing!

I use this for all trips

If I can pack everything I need into a medium or small suitcase, I put that suitcase inside a larger one. That way I have a 'spare' for the return trip for goodies and/or to separate the things that need washed from everything else.

We do this also-works out really well!!! Amazing how much dirty clothes can weigh! :p

Originally Posted by Rockhound728 viewpost.gif

I use this for all trips

If I can pack everything I need into a medium or small suitcase, I put that suitcase inside a larger one. That way I have a 'spare' for the return trip for goodies and/or to separate the things that need washed from everything else.

If you don't have suitcases that fit nicely like this, try a collapsible duffletype bag. They're usually about 8-10 inches square and about 1 inch thick. When expanded and full of dirty clothes and the like, there're not a large as a suitcase and easier to handle.

Great ideas on the suitcases. Will add to list...

Can anyone tell me if you need to take beach towels. Would definitely be great to not have to pack them but want to make sure we have them.

No, you do not.

Some ships have gone to a check out system when going ashore. I'm sure it's a way to impress on cruisers not not take a dozen and end up leaving half of them on the beach. They're usually pretty big, enough to spread out on. I usually go up to the pool and grab two and stuff in my day bag and avoid the gangplank line to pick one up.

Be sure to bring them back...

We take one of our kids old hockey bags (duffel bag) folded up in our suitcase. I open it up once in the room and everyone throws their dirty clothes in during the trip. Once the trip is over I just zip it up and put a luggage tag on it. The benefits to this are I am not spending my time packing dirty clothes, the space taken up in my suitcase is now available for souveniers, if there is still room I just throw loose items in that need to be packed last minute (flip flops etc) and when we get home the entire bag goes right into the laundry room.

We take one of our kids old hockey bags (duffel bag) folded up in our suitcase. I open it up once in the room and everyone throws their dirty clothes in during the trip. Once the trip is over I just zip it up and put a luggage tag on it. The benefits to this are I am not spending my time packing dirty clothes, the space taken up in my suitcase is now available for souveniers, if there is still room I just throw loose items in that need to be packed last minute (flip flops etc) and when we get home the entire bag goes right into the laundry room.

EWW! My DH plays hockey and his bag STINKS. Maybe your kids aren't as gross, but I won't even let him bring it in the house, let alone a small cruise cabin. I make him put it in the garage!

My DH is a goalie so his bag is bad but I use the bag we had bought for the kids when they were in the mite level (6 yrs old) playing for the in house league so it never got smelly. I would never use the ones they have now that they are teens-augh!! I love it when the last game is done and I make them put all of their equipment out on the back deck for a minimum of 2 days drying time (plus 2 bottleds of febreeze) lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this list on my computer as an Excel file that has places where you can check off as you go. It is separated as carry-on liquids, carry-on non-liquids, checked luggage with clothes for male and female. As I read these forums, I add to my list. And as I get ready for each trip (not just cruises) I "save as" a file for that particular trip and just update the file by deleting things I don't want to take. Just let me know if you want a copy and THANKS to all for your packing wisdom.

Here's one more item I never leave home without....learned about it back in the days when I was a flight attendant-bring a flashlight and pack it with your carry on. You can get one of those nice little finger sized "Mag-lite" that works well.

You never know when the power will go out or when you will be stuck in the dark.

Our first cruise, we lost ALL power for the better part of a day. Since we had an inside room- the flash light really came in handy!!!

Happy Packing!

where on earth did you find that wonder "pacing" icon?!! i love it!!:D