Art Studio classes on Reflection

CaroleSS

For those that have been on the Reflection (ahem - Artemus!!), can anyone tell me more about the art classes that are offered?

An example would be the Wednesday class entitled "Drawing". What exactly does that entail? I sent X an email about it and after not hearing back, called. The lady I spoke with didn't even know art classes were offered! All she could suggest was that I go to the Art Studio when onboard and ask.

That just doesn't cut it for an uber planner like me!! :eek:

For those that have been on the Reflection (ahem - Artemus!!), can anyone tell me more about the art classes that are offered?

An example would be the Wednesday class entitled "Drawing". What exactly does that entail? I sent X an email about it and after not hearing back, called. The lady I spoke with didn't even know art classes were offered! All she could suggest was that I go to the Art Studio when onboard and ask.

That just doesn't cut it for an uber planner like me!! :eek:

Hi-- my tablemates went to the art classes. There are some "classes" that are free but these are just to entice you into spending for more classes. I believe the cost was $20 to cover the cost of supplies. My friend was upset because they moved the location and didn't reimburse her when she couldn't find it. I would just go and check it out and not worry about planning too much. There really is no need to pre-plan ship's activities. Honest!!!!:)

I guess I'm going to have to wait. No one at X seems to know anything about them. One would think that if you were to offer a class and charge $20 for it, that you'd post some type of description of the class.....lest someone sign up for, eg, painting and get paper cutting.

"Drawing" could be near about anything. :o

You'd better go fast when you board - all the sea day classes were completely booked when I tried to sign up - 1st at sea day (2nd onboard), even those with charges. (A lady there with me said she called 15 minutes after boarding and what she wanted to take was already full.) I didn't have luck getting any classes except one free bracelet one...which was not very impressive. I was disappointed to not get to take the one of the watercolors.

They will tell you that you can come stand in the back and if someone doesn't show up, they will take people from the waiting list....I wasn't really interested in doing that so I skipped altogether.

I was on Reflection in November, and didn't know about these until it was listed in the daylies. When I called to enquire how to register, they told me to show up 15 min prior - WRONG! You need to go to the studio when you board, before lunch! I got into a mosaic tile necklace class that was fun for $20, and standby on a watercolor free one, which he set up an extra seat for me. I was dissapointed in that, as I was hoping for some pointers as I've never done that before. Alot of very talented people took the class, so I don't think he felt the need to show technique. There was none of the scrapbooking that had been on my previous cruises. At least with those classes they can accomodate anyone.

our flight doesn't get in until about noon, so I don't suppose we'll board before 2-ish.....but given what you've said, I am guessing things will be full already. It is terrible that the classes are so small, fill up so quickly but are offered only once per cruise. It seems to me that if they are THAT popular, they'd offer them more often! (and make some more of that onboard profit!)

We had thought about doing the semi-precious bracelet class as a group, then wearing our bracelets through the cruise. I guess getting space for the 6 of us doesn't sound promising!! :(

We'll try, but I guess I won't get my hopes up. Maybe I'll stop by my local craft shop and bring the stuff along. That way we can still do a 'class', but won't have to worry about being disappointed!!

We ran into this on Silhouette in March and it sounds like the situation has not improved since. DH went to the art studio the first sea day (day after boarding) and was told only one spot was still available for only one class for the entire cruise! It was a free class being held in the boardroom (to allow more to participate as the art studio can only hold about 12 at a time) on the last sea day. All other free classes and all classes with a fee were full less than 24 hours after boarding, yet the art instructer told us corporate would not allow him to add additional classes. While certainly not the end of the world, it was disappointing as it was going to be something new and different.

And as an aside, the free class he was able to attend lasted only 30 minutes during which they were all given a blank white card (size of a postcard!) and access to a few watercolors to paint something on it. Rather lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived