Belize missed port?

ILCruzr

Costa Maya has already been announced as a replacement for Belize on the upcoming glory cruise. Not too happy. Belize is one place I wanted to see and why we chose this route. But I guess it's nice carnival is giving us another port instead of a sea day, it still sucks.

Im another who loved Belize, we did an excursion to the ruins, and it was the best shore excursion we have ever had in the Caribean- we drove all the way across the country through the impoverished city to the beautiful jungle landscape~ the ruins were *amazing*, better than any we have ever visited in Mexico- you can still climb these all the way to the top. The guides were incredible, descendants of Mayans and very proud of their culture. Then we enjoyed a delicious meal at a Belikan BBQ type place out in the countryside. Belikan beer rules too! If you stuck around the walled cruise port part I don't blame you for not bing impressed. You missed the best of the country. :-)

Originally Posted by RuthlessBoss

I don't know why Belize would be someone's favorite port. The only safe area is the port, and that is walled, yes walled off so you won't venture the real Belize. A paying tour will take you to a tourist area. So, to be perfectly safe, you must pay out of pocket to do so.

We booked what we thought to be a cheap tour once we were at the port, wondered why no one else was on it. It was a tour, that took us by buggy outside the wall. We saw the narrow streets, fenced in yards that had guard dogs, homes with barred windows (it turned out the bars were for other reasons than theft), Most homes were at poverty level.

We sure got lectured upon return by fellow passengers. During the early shipboard talk, that we didn't go to, had warned people not to go outside the wall. I shuddered after this tour thinking how dangerous a spot we put ourselves in, we were 2 females. During the tour, we put our faith in the driver of the buggy, thinking no one would do anything as we were a paying a local person for this tour, and he obviously was well known in this area.

We're on the Glory Feb 17. We have 5 ships when we stop in Belize. Hope we don't have a changed. Did cave tubing 6 years ago and want the kids to enjoy it this time.

That's how all the glory stops are with 5 in them. Carnival started re routing the glory to costa Maya starting the Xmas cruise, and this weeks cruise. I really want to see Belize. We have the altun ha excursion booked and I heard it's awesome.

That's how all the glory stops are with 5 in them. Carnival started re routing the glory to costa Maya starting the Xmas cruise, and this weeks cruise. I really want to see Belize. We have the altun ha excursion booked and I heard it's awesome.

I did the Altun Ha excursion too. It is awsome! I will tell you that we had choppy seas and the tender to Belize was a bit (45 min vs. 20 min) longer. I also did the river part of the excursion. That time of year I would just due the ruins and skip the river part. Small boats and big boats do not mix well. I had the dramamin took it ecept for that day. Found it in my pocket later that night. Very sea sick. DH thought I was just hung over, due to it was also my 40th birthday. When he saw me turn green he knew it was not a hang me over. My neighbors are from Belize. Beautiful people. I did feel a bit more safe, after reading the negative reviews:confused:, that they had giving me the # of their cousin that is a cop there. I so hope you get to go.

When we go to Belize, we visit Laura at the Wet Lizard; she's originally from Atlanta and has a fun place to visit, that also books several excursions. We have always felt comfortable ~ maybe it was just knowing she was from the US and so very cordial to us! We hope to see her in February and again in March :)

I would be disappointed if I was on this itinerary and Belize was missed. Belize is one of the places that I definitely want to get to. Ok, who am I kidding, I'd love to be able to say I've been to all of the countries of Central America, but of course, if I insist on doing it via cruise, Belize is one of the next ones on my list.

I guess if we're going to do this itinerary, I'd better do the research to find the ships that are least likely to miss this port.

When we go to Belize, we visit Laura at the Wet Lizard; she's originally from Atlanta and has a fun place to visit, that also books several excursions. We have always felt comfortable ~ maybe it was just knowing she was from the US and so very cordial to us! We hope to see her in February and again in March :)

I know well be following u in feb! Ull prolly get to go to belize and we will get diverted to costa maya ugh. See u in the Caribbean!

I did the Altun Ha excursion too. It is awsome! I will tell you that we had choppy seas and the tender to Belize was a bit (45 min vs. 20 min) longer. I also did the river part of the excursion. That time of year I would just due the ruins and skip the river part. Small boats and big boats do not mix well. I had the dramamin took it ecept for that day. Found it in my pocket later that night. Very sea sick. DH thought I was just hung over, due to it was also my 40th birthday. When he saw me turn green he knew it was not a hang me over. My neighbors are from Belize. Beautiful people. I did feel a bit more safe, after reading the negative reviews:confused:, that they had giving me the # of their cousin that is a cop there. I so hope you get to go.

Thanks for giving me details...it was one excursion I'm excited about. I've only seen the dinky cozumel ruins lol. If we r diverted to costa Maya, we found options of ruins there. So hopefully I will get to see some!

I guess that Cruise Critic is way more political than I could have ever imagined.

Their choices of who stays or goes sometimes makes no sense. You were responding to criticism in a calming way as your thought process changed. No nasty war came out of it as in smoking threads that survive a lot longer and are nastier. So, kudos for you.

Costa Maya has already been announced as a replacement for Belize on the upcoming glory cruise. Not too happy. Belize is one place I wanted to see and why we chose this route. But I guess it's nice carnival is giving us another port instead of a sea day, it still sucks.

how did they announce it we are going to Belize on the Glory too

On our Christmas cruise on the Glory they handed out itinerary's in a pile of handouts as we went through security to get on board the ship. Our family went through security at two separate times due to rental car drop off.

I did not receive the itinerary change but my son did.

Many people did not receive or read the change in itinerary and so found out about it adhoc. There was no announcement on board.

Would have been nice to have more notice since it wasn't a last minute issue ie like weather. But you go with the flow...

On our Christmas cruise on the Glory they handed out itinerary's in a pile of handouts as we went through security to get on board the ship. Our family went through security at two separate times due to rental car drop off.

I did not receive the itinerary change but my son did.

Many people did not receive or read the change in itinerary and so found out about it adhoc. There was no announcement on board.

Would have been nice to have more notice since it wasn't a last minute issue ie like weather. But you go with the flow...

well thats not good at all I sure do hope we get to go.I wonder if its too many ships or safety issue

well thats not good at all I sure do hope we get to go.I wonder if its too many ships or safety issue

While I brought up the recent safety issues speculating if that might be a reason, I don't think it is. Just because Carnival Legend still went to Belize even though the Glory rescheduled.

I wonder if it is not tendering politics. Carnival showing the belize tenders that there are other places we can go and it won't affect our profit line- just yours. One Carnival ship continues going to the port so they aren't cutting the tenders off at their knees but they are sending them a message that they are not the only port in the seas. Not sure any negotiations are ongoing or how long the last contract lasted for but I am sure Carnival doesn't wait till the last minute to send subtle messages to their contractors. I know that Costa Maya wasn't busy when we went there- only 1 other ship in port, and we were a last minute change. So the other political issue could be what carnival has promised to cruise terminal vendors ie Diamonds International etc re annual volume.

Maybe, maybe not.

I called carnival and they told me Belize was being replaced by costa Maya on this weeks glory cruise. And I think there will b no more Belize on future cruises bc the Xmas cruise got re routed too

Archived