Buying Wine package online before cruising

twojays

Can anyone tell me if we purchase a wine package online before we cruise (we are going on a Costa cruise, and the package consists of 6 bottles of wine and 10 bottles of mineral water) will we be able to have a bottle of wine at any time - or only with our evening meals?

And if we dont drink a whole bottle, will they save it for us until next day, or do we take it with us to our cabin?

And if I wanted a bottle of water at some time during the day, other than at a meal time, would I be able to get one of the ones that we had already paid for?

This will be our first cruise, so I'm not sure how it works.

Any replies appreciated.

We purchased a wine package on a cruise and it was delivered as a gift to our cabin. We then needed to pay a corkage fee to drink it at dinner. So check with your cruiseline to see what their procedure is.

Lasher 2, You should not have been charged a corkage fee from the dining room, they made an error there. I have no idea if it can be corrected now, it's too bad you weren't properly informed, any bottle of wine purchased onboard does not have a corkage fee. Corkage fees are supposed to be charged only when you bring a bottle of wine onto the ship (and into the dining room).

Most cruise lines will cork and save your bottle for the next evening. Perhaps the OP can get a definite answer on the Costa board.

Thanks for that.

I understand now - so the whole package will be delivered to us in our cabin - and then we can take it with us when we go to eat - is that right?

(and make sure they dont charge us corkage!)

Can anyone tell me if there are fridges in the cabin to keep white wine, or water cool, and if not - then how would we do this?

Thanks for any information.

Check to see if YOUR ship has a fridge. Some ships do and others don't. You will have ice in your cabin and sometimes the room steward makes sure we always have ice and sometimes they don't. But you can always go to any bar or the buffet to get ice. Someone said to bring a small cooler for extra ice. Wine could be chilled in that. And you could pack stuff in it and carry it aboard. If you take a bottle to dining room the wine steward can pprobably exchange it for a chilled bottle as the ship will have that kind of wine. Ask the 1st night.

And, know you'll have a great cruise!

Bonnie J, thanks for that.

I am just going to check now to see if our ship has fridges in cabins - why didnt I think of that?

You suggestion about asking the waiter to exchange our (maybe)"warm" bottle for a cold one - of the same type - is a good one - thanks!

I haven't been on Costa. On Celebrity, though, you can have your cabin steward take your bottle of wine to the dining room. You just mark it with your name, table number, and seating. The wine steward will store it at the correct temperature and have it ready to serve you at dinner.

We were charged a corkage fee because we brought the wine to the dining room to enjoy with our dinner. At the time this was the policy we did bring our receipt and spoke with the purser. However we did not pay a corkage fee for any of the wine we enjoyed in our cabin.

Each cruise line has their own set of rules regarding wine and many of the cruise lines are no longer allowing you to bring wine on board. Your best bet is to check directly with the line you will be cruising with.

Should have said I bring a box of wine on board. I get a good sized wine glass from any bar - just ask- and take my wine to the dining room.

I used to get a bottle or two - my husband doesn't drink wine- but they sarted getting so pricey and they don't have my favorite, Chenin Blanc.

My husband takes gin in a tackel box in his checked luggage and brings diet tonic in our carry on. we never used to do this when drinks were $2.50 but now that they're $5 or $6 a drink we do. We don't have to drive anywhere on a cruise! and I watch pennies so we can actually do more!

:)

Can anyone tell me if we purchase a wine package online before we cruise (we are going on a Costa cruise, and the package consists of 6 bottles of wine and 10 bottles of mineral water) will we be able to have a bottle of wine at any time - or only with our evening meals?

And if we dont drink a whole bottle, will they save it for us until next day, or do we take it with us to our cabin?

And if I wanted a bottle of water at some time during the day, other than at a meal time, would I be able to get one of the ones that we had already paid for?

This will be our first cruise, so I'm not sure how it works.

Any replies appreciated.

I loved the wine package on Costa. Either package is good. Ordering online saves $$$. You get coupons for the wines and waters in the package. You can redeem the coupons in any restaurant or bar. You can drink the wines and waters anywhere, breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you don't finish a bottle of wine at dinner your waiter will save it till the next night if that is what you wish. The water too can be consumed at any time . We sometimes brought one with us on an excursion. I never brought one of the wines from my room to the restaurant but I don't think you will be charged a corkage fee as they know which wines are in the packages. I know you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Archived