Gifts for cruising kids

sunnysavannah

We will be taking our kids on their first cruise in October. They will both be celebrating birthdays before our sailing and will be turning 9 & 11.

I was thinking that it might be fun to give them some gifts that would be useful on the cruise. Do you have any suggestions? Small gifts, big gifts, boy & girl gifts, let's discuss them all! Even small holiday gifts, like Valentine's gifts.

What do your kids like to have with them?

Hi Sunny! We told our kids - 10 & 12 - about a spring break cruise on Christmas morning and gave them a few cruise-related gifts to get them even more excited. We gave them new luggage which they needed anyway, snorkel equipment because our cruise is to the Caribbean and will involve lots of snorkel trips, and a map of the Caribbean so they could plot our route. I also wanted to find a couple of kids books set on one of the islands we'll visit or on a cruiseship, but didn't get that done by Christmas.

Can't wait to hear other suggestions! :)

You can get a pretty good digital camera for a very reasonable price. I would favor digital over disposable so you don't have to pay to develop a lot of photos that did not turn out. With digital you just erase them and take again! RCI has a scrap booking class on their ships that your kids might enjoy doing with the photos they took.

We took DS on a cruise last summer and I had ordered him a Bon Voyage t-shirt ahead of time to be delivered in our cabin on embarkation day. It was laying on his bed with a bow and he was really excited for it. I recommend checking out the Bon Voyage shop online or you could bring a gift from home and surprise him on board!

I am thinking of doing a gift packet the morning we leave and then each night while we are at dinner the cruise fairy will leave something for the kids that they can use the next day during our excursion or at the port. Here is a list of things I have come up with:

bathing suit,

flip flops,

visor or hat,

iTunes gift card,

beach cover-up,

cute tee shirt,

press-on tattoo,

tote bag or sack-pack (with strings that become straps),

sunscreen

FunBucks

bubbles for sail away

underwater cameras