Roatan Ziplining

happy77

We are a 77 year old couple-look and act much younger. Wondering which Roatan zipline would be best for us. First time zippers and in fairly decent shape. Would prefer to forego the beach, but know most of the tours include that. We are sailing on the NCL Star from New Orleans on Jan 27 Thanks ;)

We used Victor Bodden and did the zip. It's not too hard like some of the others that some people post (like the Pirate extreme one). We had people in our group that were in their 70's and one that had a knee replacement that did it with ease.

Our, then 3 year old, also did it...by herself with no problems.

Here's a review I did on them when we went last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30662590&postcount=23

But, which ziip was the Bictot Bodden - do they do the south shore which looks the best for us.

Victor Bodden has his own zipline...on his property. You mention South shore and I believe that is actually a company that does the ziplining somewhere else. :)

We went to Pirates of the Caribbean. We did the extremely extreme and it was great. I paid for the regular but when we got to the top of the mountain the guides said the regular was under repair. That made me feel great! I had my mom and dad with me and thought they may would back out but after we finally got them off the first platform it was the highlight of the day.

Several ways to get there. They will come and pick you up at the port, you can take a taxi or can do as we do and hire a driver for the day. We use Rony when in port and he is always great. He will help you fill your day in port after you zip.

Victor Bodden has his own zipline...on his property. You mention South shore and I believe that is actually a company that does the ziplining somewhere else. :)

The Bodden private tour will take you to any zipline you want, we've been to several (4, maybe?) with them. Just tell them which you want to go and they'll make it so!

My family of 5 zipped on the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme, Extreme zipline during our port stop off the Carnival Legend in August. We did not book directly with Pirates but rather hired Rony’s Tours to take us there. This zipline zips the rider from mountain top to mountain top. Although the Pirates Extreme, Extreme zipline only has 8 zips, we chose it because it has the highest (328) and longest lines (1,980 feet) in all of Central America and the Caribbean!

IMG_0135.jpg

When we arrived, besides seeing a few monkeys, we did not see any other visitors there. We were offered to pet the monkeys if we liked, but our guide from Rony’s tours advised us beforehand not too as she said these monkeys bite. That was o.k with us as we were going to interact with the monkeys at the Monkey Stop next anyways.

IMG_0124.jpg

After we paid for the excursion, Spanish speaking guys quickly harnessed us up into our ziplining gear.

Next we climbed aboard an open-air safari type truck with our English-speaking guides Dwayne and Iron. Although our guides were not overly talkative, they were friendly. We drove a short distance to a mountain top. It appeared as if we were on the highest point in the middle of the island, as from this vantage point, we could see the ocean on both sides of us.

IMG_4785.jpg

The boys enjoyed hanging upside down while zipping…

IMG_0139.jpg

...and it was almost like a roller coaster ride when the guides would pull up and down on the lines creating a nice bouncy ride for us! Lots of fun!

Click on the photo to see my DS bounce up and down on the zipline

th_MVI_0160.jpg

As we zipped from line to line we slowly made our descent down.

We completed all 8 lines in under one hour. The Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme, Extreme zipline was safe and easy. You do not need to wear gloves and there is no need to worry about breaking as this zipline does not zip the rider that fast and you end up slowing down naturally by gravity. There is a breaking block on the end of the zips, which the guides can pull down on to slow you down if needed.

Although the lines where high, and although my harness kept turning me around which caused me to ride the zip backwards--I did not find it scary. Since you do not pick up a lot of speed, we did not find it to be that thrilling of a zip--but overall it still offered us a fun and great time!

IMG_0123.jpg

The Pirates of the Caribbean zipline offers views mostly of the countryside. If you prefer to see more views of the ocean while you zip, I have heard that South Shores is good for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived