any recommendations for shore trips Norway?

hillswoodend

HELP....As a first time cruiser on Fred Olsen's "Boudicca" ...to search for the Northern Lights in February I was wondering which ports I can do Myself and which shore trips are recommended for booking. We are calling at Molde, Bergen, Tromso, Alta and Kristiansund. I am not sure what weather and walking conditions will be like and want to enjoy the experience but shore trips are so expensive! I am used to exploring European cities with a guidebook and map but would really appreciate any tips or advice SOON. Thanks....

HELP....As a first time cruiser on Fred Olsen's "Boudicca" ...to search for the Northern Lights in February I was wondering which ports I can do Myself and which shore trips are recommended for booking. We are calling at Molde, Bergen, Tromso, Alta and Kristiansund. I am not sure what weather and walking conditions will be like and want to enjoy the experience but shore trips are so expensive! I am used to exploring European cities with a guidebook and map but would really appreciate any tips or advice SOON. Thanks....

Molde, Bergen and, possibly Tromsø, the ship usually moors within walking distance of town and the walking conditions are reasonable. In Alta you need to take the shuttle bus into town and I'm not sure about Kristiansund.

On winter cruises the weather can lead to changes in schedule so it's better to book the ship's excursions than organise any private tours in advance. I would definitely book the ship's excursions for visiting the huskies, igloo hotel, searching for the aurora etc. if you want to do these things because they are then responsible for you. The excursions from Molde look really interesting. I'm not sure which of the 2 cruises you're taking but, if in port on a Sunday, taking the ship's excursions is a good idea because a lot of Norway closes down on a Sunday.

Maybe see you onboard if you're on the first cruise.

Thanks for the helpful tips re booking shore excursions...I am definitely keen on husky sledding and Ice Hotel. We are on 9th feb cruise out of Portsmouth so maybe be in contact once aboard? Not sure how? Leave a message in cabin?

Not sure either... will probably find out our cabin number in the next few days. We're booking several excursions.

from last year's cruise with a slightly different itinerary:

Tromsø

6969545553_bb3d0230a2_n.jpg

Alta

6823435610_6f38b0473d_n.jpg

Igloo Hotel

7384683566_9f7086cf9c_n.jpg

Videos:

Part I

Part III

Part IV

Edited by gaelsail

Have just enjoyed watching the video links you posted and some more!!! They have given me a better idea of what to expect. Will definitely be booking a few trips but not sure yet which ones. How come you do not know your cabin number as we have ours? I don't want to publish it here but would like to meet up with you so how do we do that? have you been to Norway before? thanks for all your help.

Have just enjoyed watching the video links you posted and some more!!! They have given me a better idea of what to expect. Will definitely be booking a few trips but not sure yet which ones. How come you do not know your cabin number as we have ours? I don't want to publish it here but would like to meet up with you so how do we do that? have you been to Norway before? thanks for all your help.

Thanks, I took the photos & video on the 2012 cruise. Are you staying in Portsmouth the night before sailing?

Edited by gaelsail

If you have done the cruise before your advice on trips is then very welcome. I am thinking of doing Molde ourselves ( free Folk Museum) ....currently reading about Kristiansund and Bergen to see if they are DIY-able but ice hotel, dogsledding and snow mobiling are on my wish list. We are travelling down from Staffordshire by train on saturday morning,,,,hopefully arriving about 3.00 p.m.

If you have done the cruise before your advice on trips is then very welcome. I am thinking of doing Molde ourselves ( free Folk Museum) ....currently reading about Kristiansund and Bergen to see if they are DIY-able but ice hotel, dogsledding and snow mobiling are on my wish list.

I'm not sure if you can get into the Romsdal Museum in the winter (except with ship's tour) ? The website only gives summer hours but I've sent an email to ask.

Last year the excursions you mention were very popular and if I were going on them, I'd book in advance.

I'm not sure if you can get into the Romsdal Museum in the winter (except with ship's tour) ? The website only gives summer hours but I've sent an email to ask.

Last year the excursions you mention were very popular and if I were going on them, I'd book in advance.

I've had an email back from Molde and, to summarise their reply, the museum is open from 17 June - 11 August. At other times you can book private tours.

Hello, we are also from Staffordshire(Cannock) and will be driving down the night before to stop at the Hilton. We're in cabin 4050 we know it's a good one as we've had it before.

Regarding day trips in Norway I'm afraid there is little alternative to ship ones as any local tours/guides will also be v.expensive. We did Norway last summer with C&M and found this so. Having said that Bergen is easily done solo. Best tip for Bergen is if you're going up the funicular. If the port is busy so to will be the funicular, you may get your ticket quicker from the tourist office in the town by the fish market (about 2 mins away) you can then walk past everyone waiting to get their ticket. It is worth doing.

If we don't dock right in the town and have to be bussed in you walk past it anyway.

We'll be doing the quizzes for sure so maybe we will see you onboard.

All the best and fingers crossed

Hello cannockfrodo,

Thanks for yuor reply and tips....all most welcome. I am coming to realise that shore trips might be necessary in Alta , Molde and Tromso. Currently looking at Kristiansund for places to visit. We also do quizzes so may see you then.

I've had an email back from Molde and, to summarise their reply, the museum is open from 17 June - 11 August. At other times you can book private tours.

Beginning to wonder if this is right or whether you can still wander around on your own.

We did Boudicca's Northern Lights cruise in 2012 - slightly different itinerary, but you might like to look at our blog... http://norwaywinter.blogspot.co.uk/

I like your blog- hadn't seen it before :)

will be driving down the night before to stop at the Hilton.

We're staying at the Premier Inn Southsea, travelling down by train. Looking forward to seeing everyone, might even try a quiz !

Edited by gaelsail

I can answer any question about Kristiansund if you want as it is my hometown.

Hei Wimmy, du bø i Kristiansund? er du i Kristiansund Torsdag 21. februar?

Hi Wimmy, do you live in Kristiansund? Are you in Kristiansund on Thursday 21 February?

I can answer any question about Kristiansund if you want as it is my hometown.

Can I please ask you where the cruise ships normally dock? I can look it up on Google maps. We have a neighbour who belongs to Kristiansund and I think she is over there now.

Can I please ask you where the cruise ships normally dock? I can look it up on Google maps. We have a neighbour who belongs to Kristiansund and I think she is over there now.

It docks on quay 6-8 in the center of Kristiansund. You'll have a view to all the 4 "islands" which Kristiansund consists of.

http://kart.gulesider.no/m/nncYV

Hello Wimmy,

As you live in Kristiansund could you tell me whether We can visit the town independently, What museums/places of interest will be open and have you any recommendations of where we can go? Thanks for any advice!

It's a small city (24.000 residents), so you can visit the city center independently, but there isn't much to do there besides shopping (very expensive for foreigners though). If you want to go to the museums, I'll recommend taking a taxi. There is a history museum at Atlanten, and there is a fishingmuseum at Goma.

The Atlantic Highway is popular destination for turists (30 min drive, http://www.visitnorway.com/ImageVaultFiles/id_11001/cf_432/atlantic_road_318.jpg ), but I'll personally rather would visit the island Grip if you get the oppurtinity ( http://brattoya.kbbl.mr.no/Portals/kristiansund/brattoya/Grip.jpg )

We have been on Balmoral in summer, calling at Tromso and Bergen.

Bergen has lots to do within walking distance - even the cable car if queues are not too long - early morning is better and in winter you may be rattling round in the tourist locations anyway. A number of museums as well.

Tromso is also good to do yourself, if you are happy with the town, which is very picturesque and again there are also museums - good for bad weather. There is a gardens within walking distance of where our ship docked, but perhaps not a winter venue! We got the shuttle bus into the town (about £5) and even went there in the evening for a stroll and a drink. Tromso is at the ideal latitude for viewing the Northern Lights as well, so do not get so engrosed in an activity and mis the potential spectacle!

You will find details of the ports on Cruise Critic 'ports of call'. and google should provide up to date details on museums etc.

Beware buying drinks in Norway unless your wallet is full - even coca cola and coffe are expensive and a beer will cost much the same as a meal over here!

Barbara