Nassau: are stores open on Sunday?

luv2zdworld

Although some shops don't open til after church services (10am).. the Bahamian Craft Artisans are lined up on bay street starting around 7:30/8am. They are craftsmans and artists that show every weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

Most shops (and artisans) start to close around 4pm.. when the ships start to leave.

Although some shops don't open til after church services (10am).. the Bahamian Craft Artisans are lined up on bay street starting around 7:30/8am. They are craftsmans and artists that show every weekend on Saturday and Sunday.

Most shops (and artisans) start to close around 4pm.. when the ships start to leave.

Fifteen minutes at the straw market is all you need. Everything is the same.

Fifteen minutes at the straw market is all you need. Everything is the same.

Not so. Everything INSIDE the straw market may be the same.. with few exceptions. But the Artisans on Bay Streets (weekends only) are not selling straw and t shirts. They are artists, photographers, jewelry makers (sand, shell and blown glass). They must be true artisans to get a place in the street market. Not like the straw market ladies who resell whatever they can get from china. These artisans MUST create thier own goods, or they can't participate.

You would sell yourself short not to check out the wares on Bay Street. (North side of the street from Rawson Sq to the Straw market)..

Be careful if you buy anything from the wood carvers, the majority of their goods also comes from China.

There are wood carvers lined up on the outside of the straw market (western wall) creating their goods. Yes, there are a few that sell trinkets, but most you can watch them make their statues, walking sticks and the like right in front of you. They cut, whittle, sand and stain thier own goods. Not from China.

You seem determine to find fault with nassau without knowing the facts.

It's not hard to recognize the difference between some machine manufactured souvenier from China and a hand carved local piece.

I do know the facts, yes they whittle in front of you but the beautiful pieces that are on display, the majority are shipped in. I questioned several of the vendors and they even admitted they were brought in that way. If you want to buy one, no problem, everyone has their own tastes. Just want unsuspecting tourists not to think they are getting something carved directly from Nassau when it's not. If you like the piece certainly buy it you only have to please yourself.

I do know the facts, yes they whittle in front of you but the beautiful pieces that are on display, the majority are shipped in. I questioned several of the vendors and they even admitted they were brought in that way. If you want to buy one, no problem, everyone has their own tastes. Just want unsuspecting tourists not to think they are getting something carved directly from Nassau when it's not. If you like the piece certainly buy it you only have to please yourself.

I live in nassau and know a handful of these carvers personally. Those that I know do their own carving, sanding and staining and do NOT buy from other sources. Some have items that are apparently not hand carved.. but it's obvious what is manufactured and what is hand carved.

The carvers that I know have shops set up at the straw market and do some of the work at home or a workshop.

Archived